Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
WINNERS-WEEKLY CHALLENGE #525-Flowers in B/W
Posted By: noelcmn, 02-25-2021, 12:22 PM

Well, what a delightful set of images for this challenge, and gratified that there are so many submissions, thank you all for entering. Thoroughly enjoyed working through them all. As I said on another B/W composition, given that color is removed, composition, textures, DOF and even Bokeh become the dominant factors of an image. These are the factors that inform my judging exercise. Some comments:

Gump- Homage to Monet, and a fine one it is too@ He would have approved. Setting the mark high with this one, lovely backlit Poppie, with some fine details to delight. I like the background noisy bits, gives the impression of the flower floating out in space with some black holes for company.

Bruce Clark- Flower- Beautiful Shot, lovely contrast with that black background. And drops always add to an image especially flowers.

Aaacb- Apropos the above comments, and a fine composition with some stunning textures and Bokeh. Beautiful light on this one!

Atupdate-Christmas Cactus- And another beauty, super textures on this one too, and interesting composition. Just wondering why you left that bit on the upper right, perhaps to give context. Removing it would not detract from the image!

Djb47-something different, and which works very well indeed, like a flower in a bubble, except here there details are just wonderful!

Pacerr- Lily Rev- Wonderful, great DOF, textures is superb. Just want to rub those petals between the fingers to get the feel of them. Composition and some fine details make for a superb image!

Jchorst - Flower before a wall-nice one, apropos my comment about Bokeh, pulled of nicely here. Nice tonal range and composition! Nice note of mystery to this one with just barely a hint of windows.

Vaskebjorn-the Screamer . And glad you listened, super backlit flower, which typically will result in some loss of details, but sufficient here to appreciate- just check out all those fine hairs. It may give me an itch, but I’d be happy to give it a tummy rub

Pelto- Inside a cucumber flower-never seen one, and this certainly spiked the interest. Superb macro shot, oozing loads of textures and a great composition to boot! Excellent.

Stephenhampshire -Forget-me-nots and a dandelion seed head- Well there you go with the Bokeh, and popping good seed head. Lovely tonal range, and the centered composition works a treat! Let not forget the contrasts here! Great shot!

Kerrowdown-delicate dilemma- I hope the dilemma was whether to pick it and put it up to the nose, and not which damsel to give it to . Lovely composition, lovely light, and I love the PP you have given to this- with that slightly blue hue. Add some textures and a black background to focus the eye firmly on this beauty, and you’re sure to win that lady’s heart- even if it is just a printed image!

Weverka-Gold Dust Day Gecko-Well done on your perseverance, justly rewarded with a fine image, though it does not enjoy prime focus, it adds a nice touch. Like the feel of layers in this image, and a wad of textures to enjoy! And as with a few others, the tonal range is fantastic!

CedrusMacro-Orchids -The only sepia submission, not always the best when it comes to flowers, but you pulled it off with this one, and of course orchids enjoy top spot when it comes to textures. Nicely composed.

Jacamar-Balloon flowers- Just wonderful DOF you got here, and Bokeh, and very well handled whites-nothing blown out here! Textures are there, so is composition, delightful in B/W, and would love to see this in color too!

1st spot to Pacerr-Magic and one for the wall
2nd Pelto-Super Macro photography.
3rd. djb47-very nice creative shot!

Happy to give all others HM, but in particular Kerrowdown, for that lovey hue of blue.

Views: 666
02-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome entries and a fun competition. Thanks noelcmn for taking the time to give comments for all entries, helped me want to develop my skills more and look forward to the next challenge!

Congrats to the well deserved winners, particular find of djb47 entry.
02-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks noelcmn for conductiong the challenge and for the kind comments - a lot of excellent shots here.
The secret to the DOF is the 18mm lens on the Ricoh GRIII camera. As long as the camera's shadow doesn't get in the way it's quite handy for macro shots.
You asked to see the colour version - I like it but I prefer the B&W (I used one of the GRIII presets).

02-25-2021, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #4

Thank you noelcmn for choosing my photo and awarding me the 2nd place,
and congratulation to the winner Pacerr-Magic and to djb47 for 3rd place.
Must have been hard choosing between all those lovely photos. Nice weekend to all.

02-26-2021, 01:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for hosting Noel, a lot of great entries. I was glad not to be you in this judging
Congrats to Pacerr and the follow ups, ah, well actually congrats to everyone IMHO.
02-26-2021, 04:18 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Well done all... a good challenge.
02-26-2021, 04:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to the winners, professionals at work here! And thanks to noelcomm for an intriguing challenge. You forced us to do without what flowers normally are all about - what a great idea!

02-26-2021, 06:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Pelto and Pacerr.

Thanks for the 3rd place nod Noel. I would not have wanted to judge this challenge. Great images all around. Nice job.

Well done everyone.
02-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These images are each a wonderful example of why B&W is a classic way to present interpreted imagery. Individual flowers are a striking choice of subject material to showcase that presentation. Excellent submissions all and very thoughtful commentary from Noel.

H2