Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
WINNERS- Weekly Challenge #531-Eating
Posted By: noelcmn, 04-19-2021, 02:43 AM

Fabulous array of submissions, and some interesting interpretations of the theme. Thank you all for your entries, and making my life difficult. Some thoughts on the entries:

Aaacb-a busyish shot, and of the nicest kind-street photography is wonderful genre, and always brings a storyline to an image, as well as a candid element, all of which are here. Like this very much, a sense of vibrancy but also normalcy. A festival perhaps? Despite all the people around, the girl is wonderfully isolated and framed. Good one!

SpecialK- yes well, you must know that I would fall for any image of a child-love them, and this cutie has all the potential to steal my heart! She is so cute, and the upside down sunglasses only add to the cuteness factor. And that she is dwarfed a by that large piece of watermelon suggests she is out to have fun here and ignoring that often despised seat belt! Beautifully detailed image, this is a great shot!

Atupdate-Iíve stopped counting the number of times that I have seen this one, and always make me crackle with laughter! She is gorgeous (any chance you have her phone no ) and her expression is just so suitable to the added words! Fab composition, fine details, muted colours to enhance the mood!

Gump- well, if SpecialK tugs at my heart with children, wildlife of any sort will most definitely peak my interest. Nicely composed, good eye contact, and perhaps a bit of fury that would erupt if that youngster was endangered. Good details here too!

Vaskebjorn-who needs a 600mm lens? Not much needed, suitable as is, though it could do with a slightly tighter crop. But I like it as it is, giving a large volume of context with those concentric circle of ripples. Also tells me that it has just emerged from below, so kudos on the timing of this shot! No issues with the composition and colours! Nice one!

Charliezap- Great spot Sir, enchanting, if all natural image. And as with Vaskebjorn, kudos on the timing here. Like the composition, with the parent bird filling out across the frame. An element of juxtapose too. That stretched neck! Wondering about that bit sticking out of the nest next to the parentís feet? Rusty nail perhaps? I would crop it out.as it is distracting, and even makes it seem like a trap to spear the poor parent! Colours are lovely, as is the Bokeh!

DeepThrob Ė Another image that made me laugh. Not sure if this is a candid or staged, if the former you are in trouble, if the latter, you are safe. In any event, itís lovely, a lot of frustration detected as is usually the case with peas. Ask any kid. Such beautiful fine details to this shot, especially with that blond hair (to be on the safe side Iíll call it blond and not grey). Nice composition and colours and that pea has just the right amount of pop.

Pkboy-well, there is a wad of laugher in this challenge, and this one has an echo with many of us! Sometimes nothing to do with old age, but simply the nature of the dish eaten! Apropos the comments on aaacb;s entry. Love the isolation, and the drip! Good spot, good timing!

Jacamar-And another great spot! Beautiful composition! Sharp and DOF is wonderful, but balanced with some lovely Bokeh in the background! No issues with the colour. Good timing getting that somewhat perplexed look on the birds face! Fab shot!

CedrusMacro-Iím tempted to think there is a conspiracy going on here-one with kids, one with wildlife and now one with my favourite genre-Macro! Oh I love the colours on this, and all the imposing Bokeh. Typically macro shots will lack DOF, and the focus here is just where it needs to be, on those eyes. Lovely!

EssJay- And the conspiracy gets stronger. Now this tugs at the heart, warm family shot, and no doubt echoes with many a parent. Just love the composition, very well balanced- enough of the horse and of the family! Happy family, happy kid, happy horse! Light seems quite harsh in this one, perhaps darken it a tad, but that is nit picking really. Just lovely!

Rod_grant-another laugh-a-lot image, with so much going on here. Lots of action, and what a great story to this-attempted theft, hopeful expectation on the part of the Cormorants and the rightful owner all but unconcerned in the knowledge itís going down the right gullet! Good timing getting that fish, albeit that it is OOF. Poor fish-it stood no chance!

Ecuador04-one thought that keeps hitting me with this image-That bird POPS! And that surely makes this image. Set against background of water and reeds, well deserved kudos for your timing and composition. No issues with the colours, with a note the whites are very well handled here. It may be worth your while to go with a tighter crop, and forego some of the context here, as I expect it will bring out some of the fine details of the bird! Well done!

Robjmitchell-OK, Iíve succumbed to the conspiracy theory. Nice to be introduced to a lesser known marsupial from down under! Very nice image, sharp enough, and sold eye contact, with a super composition, being framed by all those leaves and branches.

JCHorst- Heck, what a story is this! No one else in sight-excellent isolation! A trolley in the background, a bottle of water, some spikey nails and an outfit second to none-all makes for great drama. Add to that a physical pose that that will have me on the ground! Just enough fire to make me nervous, and gotta love those hanging dreadlocks. Just wondering about that bit to the right of his leg, a bit distracting and should be removed. The word that comes to mind-Theatrical! Which I suppose is what it is about! Wonderful shot!

Well, onto the winners, which has not been an easy exercise, and as can be gathered from my comments- largely subjective. Iím no expert!
1st - Jacamar, with that lovely image of a Raptor
2nd - JCHorst- Eating fire-what drama!
3rd - ecuador04-popping good image!
HMís to EssJay and Cedrusmacro and SpecialK.

Over to you Jacamar!

Views: 374
04-19-2021, 02:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Excellent photo variation of a simple concept. Congrats.
04-19-2021, 04:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Noel, and all the contributors.
A great challenge.
04-19-2021, 05:45 AM   #4

Lots of great entries for this contest.

04-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the judging Noel. It was a great challange with great entries.
Congrats to Jacamar, the follow-ups and everyonelse.
04-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to the winner.Looking forward to the next challenge.--charliezap.
04-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to jacamar and ecuador04, extended to the HMs. Great shots everybody! And thanks, Noel, for some really thoughtful remarks and for giving us such a challenging theme which left room for many different interpretations.
04-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the detailed viewpoints noelcmn, a good theme, and cheers for the HM ��. Congrats to the winners, awesome shots, jchorst I think the fire eater was a fantastic interpretation! Jacamar, can't wait to see what's next. Well done all.

04-19-2021, 07:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comment, honestly didn't notice the drip til I loaded the photo on a larger screen. Congrats to the winner, looking forward to the next one
04-20-2021, 08:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well thanks so much Noelcmn for your theme, judging and thoughtful comments. For me the shot was a memory of our last travel opportunity just before COVID - taken on a hot and dusty road in Costa Rica. I wasn't expecting mine be selected among such a great variety of shots. Congratulations to the runners - up. I will ponder a fresh theme and post it as soon as I can.

Last edited by jacamar; 04-20-2021 at 08:39 AM.