Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #532: By the Water: WINNERS
Posted By: jacamar, 04-29-2021, 12:58 PM

Very interesting to work though such a wide variety of high quality images and interpretations, and a hard job to pull out my favourites. Here are my personal observations:

ScryNine: The scene and the light are great, but I feel this would have had even more impact if the mountains had been in focus.

gump: A peaceful scene with varied colours, cloud patterns and reflections on the water.

robjmitchell: Great mood and interest in the clouds, background and seaspray, the semi-repetition and reflections of the dogs (and human) in the middle distance, and the beach lines in the foreground.

aacb: You’re exploiting my weakness for high contrast B&W, and I like the strong verticals and reflections.

SpecialK: The expression on the surfer’s face is very intense, and the water is lively and forceful.

atupdate: Very well composed shot of a perfect beauty spot, with the bridge nicely terminating the long view and lots of interest in the rock colours and textures. I have to admit a prejudice here – I just prefer to see water and skies frozen rather than softened through long exposure, but I realize that’s what you tried so hard to capture here!

Vaskebjorn: It’s always interesting to see the reflection, the surface and what lies beneath the water, and the opportunistic cat is making the most of the puddle!

ramseybuckeye: A high-contrast scene that gives a strong impression of the wild weather and the wildlife commotion.

aTOMx: Nice texture contrasts between the shingle, the rocks and the smoothed out water.

rod_grant: A very powerful looking gull with its found lunch. Lots of interest in the beach and seaweed.

jchorst: A calm snow scene with painterly light and cloud patterns in the distance.

Bruce Clark: There’s something mystical about the lighting here, and the colours and textures of the boat and the water – very appealing.

Asahi Dan: Nice framing and contrast between the arching blossoms and the austerity of the bridge.

Ursus from Michigan: This shot shows great lines, repetition, and a sort of distorted symmetry with those reflections.

djb47: Interesting historical foreground, waterfall in the middle distance and background woodland - tells a good story.

RGlasel: Would love to see that northern BC landscape again – great texture on the boat -maybe it needs some work before the next trip!

pacer: Great colour and scale contrast between the tug and the barge, with the tug obviously expending a lot of power to move things along.

EssJay: I often like the ambiguity when horizons can’t quite be identified through the haze, but here I feel I need that reference point to orient myself. Again I would rather see live water than long exposure, but I know a lot of folks would disagree with me and in any case it may not have worked with this shot.

StephenHamshire: You chose a great spot for this atmospheric image – I recall I took a “French Lieutenant’s Woman” shot of my wife on the Cobb when we were there. Very appealing mood and contrast.

noelcmn: Reminded me of my only, very brief view of a small herd of wild Zebra cantering away – the stripes and repetition are very photogenic, especially when the animals are grouped as you have shown them.

CedrusMacro: Human detritus, old and new – great subject, well handled.

mingdie: Good connection between the two people as well as background interest.

As for my own favourite, the nod goes to robjmitchell and his dogs on the beach, as his image has so many of the elements I look for in a waterside shot– interest from front to back, reflections, and an absorbing subject.

For runners – up I would choose Bruce Clark’s becalmed boat and the looping bridge from Ursus from Michigan. If I’m allowed an honourable mention then it goes to aacb’s B&W industrial skyline and reflections.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/129-weekly-photo-challenges/...hoto-day-3.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/129-weekly-photo-challenges/...7-imgp8613.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50768877541_a05e536126_c.jpg

So robjmitchell - we look forward to you revealing the theme for the next challenge!

Last edited by jacamar; 04-29-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Views: 751
04-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An amazing selection of diverse interpretations of that task.

Rob's shot is an excellent choice for "By . . ." rather than 'on' Well done..
04-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to Rob, that is a great photo!
04-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #4

Congrats to RobjMitchell. Wonderful image. Thank you jacamar for the challenge and your thoughtful feedback. So glad I started visiting this site again.

04-30-2021, 12:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations Rob for your wonderful image. Thanks to jacamar for hosting this excellent challenge. I appreciate receiving the nod for runner up among some truly excellent entries. Looking forward to the next one.
04-30-2021, 02:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats, Rob.
Well done everyone and to our host jacamar.
04-30-2021, 04:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Rob, congratulations.

04-30-2021, 01:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fabulous image, worthy winner. Congrats robmitchell. And extended to Bruce Clark and Ursus from Michigan, and not forgetting aaacb. Wonderful challenge, wonderful submissions- Thanks Jacamar!
04-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Awesome standards all, and congratulations Rob, it's a really dynamic shot!
05-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Good choice.
05-02-2021, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you jacamar for choosing my image, and thank you to everyone else for the kind comments! I think I have an idea for the next challenge now