Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
P52-9-48 Perspective: Wide Angle
Posted By: Tsukiouji, 06-06-2021, 02:50 PM

From Wikipedia:
In photography and cinematography, a wide-angle lens refers to a lens whose focal length is substantially smaller than the focal length of a normal lens for a given film plane. This type of lens allows more of the scene to be included in the photograph, which is useful in architectural, interior and landscape photography where the photographer may not be able to move farther from the scene to photograph it.

Another use is where the photographer wishes to emphasise the difference in size or distance between objects in the foreground and the background; nearby objects appear very large and objects at a moderate distance appear small and far away.

This exaggeration of relative size can be used to make foreground objects more prominent and striking, while capturing expansive backgrounds.

Photos for the Week #48 competition are to be taken between Jun 7 and Jun 13.

Rules:
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested in eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-9 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.
Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot, Medium Format, et cetera. But no phones, please.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
Views: 779
06-10-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KP, HD DA 20-40 Ltd at 20mm, F8, 1/20, ISI 100. I went out a few evenings ago on a day that was rainy earlier hoping that the remaining clouds and moisture may produce a good sunset image for this challenge. It did not, the last "brightness" of the sun is shown in this image, before it sunk behind even heavier clouds. I had hoped to go even wider with the 15 Ltd, but it was just too windy to change lenses in the sandy environment. But anyway the 20-40 never disappoints. This was the first shoot that I used the O-GPS1. Kind of interesting that Flickr ties the location to Mapbox that incorrectly assigned a tagline of "Notts Mobile Home Park" to the photo. I did find the former Mobile Home Park about a mile away on the mainland, the photo is taken on Topsail Island near or at Serenity Point.
06-14-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
06-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To be closed in 48 hours.

06-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our side yard flower garden taken with the *istDS2 and DA18-55 at 18mm.
06-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Past my favourite local sign with a Sigma DP1 (28mm equivalent).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1S  Photo 
06-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gorgeous entries. Closed.

06-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get the.dubious honor of choosing a winner from these wide angle photos. All of the photos show the properties of wide.angle pretty well and are not bad photos. So here’s my uneducated opinions.

Don, I like the tree line and the shadows, but the shadows are wiping out a little too much of the flowers for me.

Cedric, I love sign photos, though I would prefer to see some surooundings, or maybe the rest of the sign above, but I see why you shot it this way with that beautiful cloudy sky.

Noel’s photo is the most compelling to me so therefore the winner. it is really a nice use of the 10mm he short it with. I like that he put them circles right up in the foreground, It is not showing a lot of distortion for that focal length, maybe. A crop was done? Anyway, a good job and the heavy shadows add a little mystery, though maybe it would be better shot on an overcast day, who knows?
06-17-2021, 12:48 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tom. No crop, only perspective tool used. Here is the original, resized
06-17-2021, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Noel.

Appreciate your comment Tom. Unfortunately, there are not many flowers in bloom at present.
06-17-2021, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments ramseybuckeye, I can see your point, although thinking back I wish I'd gone closer to the sign to cut out the street sign at top.

Well done noel, appealing composition!