Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
WEEKLY CHALLENGE #537 Roads less taken June 11-18.
Posted By: gump, 06-11-2021, 08:36 AM

Hattifnatt is busy so Mr. Hampshire asked me to host #537. I may be assuming too much but probably everyone has taken a "road" photo. So simply post a road, street, alley, path, trail, or something else that fits the pattern. As with the couple of other challenges I have judged, I don't have a detail eye at least not at first. The contenders will be photos that grab my attention and who knows what sort of mood I will have that day. I will decide on the morning of June 19th. If I have done accurate arithmetic that may be at or about 10 am (GMT or GDT or whatever.)

Weekly Challenge

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax-only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be t

Read more at: About the weekly challenges - PentaxForums.com

Read more at: Weekly Challenge #536 "Photographers" - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 1,889
06-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A certain Bob Seger song pop's to mind with this challenge... going to be an interesting one this week!
06-11-2021, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one is taken in Port el-Kantaoui in Tunisia in December ‘15. That is after the terrorist attack on the beach of a hotel (which happened to be 150 meters from our home there). We actually had planned to be on that beach that day, but due to circumstances we couldn’t. We never stopped going because you do not stop because aof a couple of lunatics.
Tourism was basically zero though after that due to travel restrictions from Europe.

This is a small road that used to have the taxis for the tourists.

06-11-2021, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The tree marks Davis Well in Death Valley. Not visible in this angle are old wagon trails along the Spanish Trail running through the area.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-12-2021 at 07:34 AM.
06-12-2021, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rural New South Wales - the distant white structures are the entrance to a cousin's sheep station.

06-12-2021, 03:56 AM - 3 Likes   #6
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Flinders Ranges in South Australia.
The road from Quorn to Almerta Station.

06-12-2021, 04:05 AM - 7 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kangaroo Island, South Australia before the last bushfires which burnt out a lot of the area. if one looks closely one can see remnants of the previous fires. A testament to the resilience of the Australian bush. I have been amused to see obviously doctored photos of this area used to push various political agenda. I would like to go back to see how the country has regenerated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
06-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mountain Path

Somewhere in the Bavarian Alps. K-1 II, Sigma 12-24 @12mm.
Attached Images

Last edited by jchorst; 06-12-2021 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Additional information.
06-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided to focus on what you can see when you take the road less travelled. The road in the foreground is on the way to Shames Mountain Ski Area in British Columbia. The closest major metropolitan area is Vancouver, BC, which is less than 700 kilometers northwest by air. To drive to Shames Mountain from Vancouver, you need to drive almost 9 hours (782 kms) north to Prince George (where I lived from 1997 to 1999), then head west for 6 and a half hours (575 kms) to the small city of Terrace, population 15,569. To get to the ski lodge by road, you keep going west from Terrace on the Yellowhead Highway for 23 kms, then turn onto a winding gravel road for another 14 kms. According to Google Maps, driving the final 37 kilometers will take about an hour, which is about right if you don't stop along the way.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-12-2021, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Rail-ROAD

Tim
06-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

06-13-2021, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Parallel and just to the north of this path the asphalt "waterfront trail" is busy with bikes, joggers and walkers. We prefer this one, though it does get close to the edge sometimes.

06-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #13
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Kangaroo Island, South Australia before the last bushfires which burnt out a lot of the area. if one looks closely one can see remnants of the previous fires. A testament to the resilience of the Australian bush. I have been amused to see obviously doctored photos of this area used to push various political agenda. I would like to go back to see how the country has regenerated.
Hi Bruce
Nowhere as quick as your photo .... give it another 5 yrs
06-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Bruce
Nowhere as quick as your photo .... give it another 5 yrs
Still a way to go. My photo was from 2015, I believe. the earlier fire was in 2007, I hope I am able to go back some day to see the recovery. Closer to home Macedon, was razed a few years ago and while there are still scars, it is remarkable how the recovery has developed.
06-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #15
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Still a way to go. My photo was from 2015, I believe. the earlier fire was in 2007, I hope I am able to go back some day to see the recovery. Closer to home Macedon, was razed a few years ago and while there are still scars, it is remarkable how the recovery has developed.
Hi Bruce
The Pinery fire in 2015 still does not look back to normal.
The fires of the last ten years seem more devastating and are taking longer to recover from