Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
WEEKLY CHALLENGE #541 Those who came before
Posted By: gump, 07-21-2021, 03:45 AM

Although the example are somewhat of the same genre, the subject, THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE, is wide open to your interpretation. The only guidance I can offer is the image should speak to what we owe to previous generations, or even your own generation I suppose, good or bad. My examples are a Kansas schoolhouse, 16th Century Spanish mission church, and ruins of sugar mill.

Here are the (usual!) rules (just copied from Adam's contest listing)

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Read more at: About the weekly challenges - PentaxForums.com

Contest runs through Tuesday, July 27th.

Read more at: Weekly Challenge #540- Silhouette or Very High Contrast - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 1,848
07-21-2021, 04:35 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

After understanding the topic better, I changed my photo. This is at the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin, entering the monument indeed made me think of what was before

Last edited by aaacb; 07-21-2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: replaced photo
07-21-2021, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Squeezing Sorgum - Carriage Hill Metro Park - A working historical farm.

Tim
07-21-2021, 10:01 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two warships, some time inbetween active duty though.

07-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sample images are buildings that are no longer in use or not maintained, is the subject about "ruins", or just old?
07-21-2021, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The sample images are buildings that are no longer in use or not maintained, is the subject about "ruins", or just old?
Tom, I perhaps should have been a bit more detailed. As a person who wasted my life in history and archaeology (historic) I probably am drawn to material culture to define what I am trying to say. I attempted to make the subject wide-open to allow everyone to express that they have learned directly or indirectly from those who came before. I could see someone submitting a photo of grandparents or a mentor. Other choices I considered was the cemetery at the Wounded Knee Battlefield, locks on the Ohio and Erie Canal, or even a photo of our house that is 100 years old this year. I have to wonder about the many families who lived here and how they adapted the house for their use. I hope I have made it a bit clearer. In essence, the subject as I intended was something that made you think about those that came before. Please do not consider the parameters to be narrow. Send me a PM if I can help further.

Andy
07-21-2021, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
WW II shoreline defences on the east coast of England

07-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
WW II shoreline defences on the east coast of England

I like how the photographers are coming over the defences like a visual reminder to what took place before...nice quality to the shot too!
07-21-2021, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
I like how the photographers are coming over the defences like a visual reminder to what took place before...nice quality to the shot too!
Thanks for noticing that CedrusMacro - I thought the shot was spoiled when they walked into the frame then when I opened the file I reconsidered!
07-21-2021, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Tom, I perhaps should have been a bit more detailed. As a person who wasted my life in history and archaeology (historic) I probably am drawn to material culture to define what I am trying to say. I attempted to make the subject wide-open to allow everyone to express that they have learned directly or indirectly from those who came before. I could see someone submitting a photo of grandparents or a mentor. Other choices I considered was the cemetery at the Wounded Knee Battlefield, locks on the Ohio and Erie Canal, or even a photo of our house that is 100 years old this year. I have to wonder about the many families who lived here and how they adapted the house for their use. I hope I have made it a bit clearer. In essence, the subject as I intended was something that made you think about those that came before. Please do not consider the parameters to be narrow. Send me a PM if I can help further.

Andy
That's kind out how I took the text, but the examples all being similar in nature threw me off a little. And you can't waste your life in history, Too many peopl want to ignore or worse change history.
07-21-2021, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
After understanding the topic better, I changed my photo. This is at the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin, entering the monument indeed made me think of what was before
This may be the most powerful/moving image ever for me on PF. My wife is Jewish, and lost many relatives in the Holocaust. Brings tears to my eyes.
07-22-2021, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sunshine Harvester - about 1885 - not the first, but an early stripper-harvester, built initially in Ballarat Victoria and later in the area of Melbourne renamed Sunshine after the Sunshine Harvester Works - the largest factory in Australia at the time.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do we owe to this contraption? To much! Printing press, or at least I think it is. But it could be a Sewing machine for all I know
07-24-2021, 11:20 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hohokam Petroglyph

The prehistoric Hohokam people lived in southern and central Arizona for more than 1,000 years from 200-1400 CE and thousands of petroglyphs like this one can still be found throughout the area. The Hohokam were agricultural pioneers and the first to build irrigation canals off of the Salt and Gila rivers to direct water into their fields. Their complex canal networks were renovated in the early 20th century and served as the basis for the modern system that fueled the growth of Phoenix from a small western farming town into the metropolis that it is today. The spiral is a common symbol thought to represent wind, water and the journey in search of the center of the world.

Last edited by cooks333; 07-26-2021 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Edit: There are thousands of petroglyphs that have been found, not millions
07-24-2021, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have amFlickr Album titled "history", where I try to put images that have any historical significance (when I remember). This is kind of an odd one, it shows some different uses for the same land, as a cemetery, then who knows why the broken down abandoned construction equipment is there. What the picture doesn't show is that this is all contained in what is now a wildlife preserve.