Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge #555 Balance in landscape
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 08-25-2021, 06:50 PM

This challenge represents something that I struggle with constantly and that is to achieve balance, especially in landscape photography. All too often I concentrate on the main subject and forget about the total scene with resulting flat looking images. Sometimes I get it right but mostly I resort to extensive cropping to get a reasonable result. What I would like to see are some well balanced images with a brief description of how you achieved it.

Some examples below.

1. Moon at 1/3 intersection
2. Converging lines, Transition from light to dark.
3. Lighthouse is naturally prominent Chang location to place two pillars rocks on the right. (Keeping a close eye on the sea at my back.)

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week or, in case the winner is unable to run the next challenge, the second place holder.

The Challenge will run until midnight next Tuesday, September 2, 2021, whichever time zone you are in.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Read more at: Weekly Challenge Weekly Challenge #426 - Lines - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 1,284
08-31-2021, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Golden Supes

The landscape tip that has stuck with me most and is constantly front of mind when I'm framing a shot is paying attention to foreground. What I usually strive for is having enough visual interest in the foreground to create depth, but not so much to the point where it becomes distracting from the main subject. In this image, the texture and shadows of the rocks, brush and closest cactus in the foreground help balance the imposing, front lit cliffs in the background. In addition to the front-to-back balance, I also tried to use the strong vertical lines of the cacti on the left to balance the choice of placing the cliffs off-center to the right.

This was the intent, anyway. You can all be the judge of whether it actually worked!

08-31-2021, 08:05 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Was at the local fair a few years back, and I happened to glance over and get kind of half-blinded by the setting sun coming through one of the buildings, and walked on by before I had a "Wait-a-second..." moment.

I went back, snapped this, and then came home to find a RAW image that was very much in need of getting the shadows and highlights to play nice. I kind of violated the Rule of Thirds in favor of balance in this one, which is why I chose it. The lights dividing the center kind of carved this into six quadrants, while at the same time the splash of sun anchored it, with the path leading in (as well as the fellow in the foreground looking *away*) kind of helped keep the eye centered and 'balanced' as it was drawn through. The cow-butts also help balance it out as they're symmetric in their own way too!

Shot this on my Bower-branded Samyang 35mm f/1.4 stopped fairly well down to f/8.

I've always just enjoyed this shot for what it is.

09-02-2021, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I took this one recently on a car camping trip with my family. It had been a pretty gloomy day, and we spent the previous night trying to sleep crammed in the back of our Honda Pilot with the kids because none of us really wanted to set up a tent in the dark and pouring rain. We came around a corner in the road, and I saw the mountain in the middle lit right up by the sun just peaking through the clouds, so I stopped and got out my 500mm to get this shot. I thought it looked great with the darker hills on either side of it, a little ray of sunshine on our otherwise fairly dark day.

Kristian
09-02-2021, 03:44 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hello all, great entries so far. I will close at midnight local time just over 3 hours.