Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
P52-10-2 Subject: Long Exposure
Posted By: djb47, 09-17-2021, 05:40 AM

Long-exposure, time-exposure, or slow-shutter photography involves using a long-duration shutter speed to sharply capture the stationary elements of images while blurring, smearing, or obscuring the moving elements. Long-exposure photography captures one element that conventional photography does not: an extended period of time. How long is long? For this project shutter speeds should be one (1) second or longer.

As always be as imaginative/creative as you like when interpreting the theme, creativity is what we're looking for.

Photos for P52-10-2 are to be taken and posted between Sep 17 and Sep 23.

Rules:
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested in eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-10 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture or how it represents the weekly theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non
Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, etc. But no phones, please.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
Views: 772
09-18-2021, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
As the blue orb descended to earth the kokopelli greeted the strange visitor with their horns.

K100D/Tamron 28-105 f16 1.5sec
09-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
As the blue orb descended to earth the kokopelli greeted the strange visitor with their horns.
Quit teasing us, you have to let us know a little bit about how you took this photo.
09-18-2021, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

30 seconds may be the longest exposure I've ever taken. Even so, I bumped the ISO to 400 and then bumped up exposure two stops in post-processing. The blurring of trees and vegetation is due to the wind; no way I can do this handheld. By the way, cropping with a fisheye lens is done by moving the camera.

09-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Quit teasing us, you have to let us know a little bit about how you took this photo.
You can see the setup here: https://i.ibb.co/vDHkhG1/IMGP6999.jpg

The blue has faded from the glow stick orb.
09-21-2021, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A new camera (not a Pentax....heathen I know ) but wanted to test out a light trail shot using a very small resolution sensor.

13 Seconds, f10 and ISO 200. I'm going to try this technique more often with greater thought put in. Really cool shot Don! RGlassel that is a clean image!
Attached Images

09-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is kind of an odd one, I went out early Saturday morning to hopefully get sunrise and a shot for this project. I went to the large Holly Shelter Game Lands, where there is little traffic and sand or gravel roads. Driving in to the area I wanted to get to, there was a truck coming maybe a quarter mile behind me. I hoped to possibly get around the corner of a crossroad and get the light and dust trails of the truck as it stayed on the road. I went by before I could get out of my truck. I did not think it was worth waiting for another vehicle to come by, because it was starting to get lighter and traffic can be very sparse there. So I went on down the road and decided to stop and take a shot down the road, already figured it was too clouded over for any good sunrise to happen. I took a shot, made a couple of adjustments and took a second shot, right after I pushed the shutter, which was on 2 second delay, headlights were coming down the road, I waited it out, 6 seconds, ISO 100, F11. Not a real good example of a light trail, you can see just a little left to right movement, and got a little starburst out of it. Interestingly, there is not much movement in the clouds, you can see a slight movement in the tree branches. It was noticeable a little later when I was shooting some wildflowers. I was hoping to get something else, but it has been a busy week.

09-22-2021, 12:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a nicely composed shot Tom, the pines work to keep a frozen appearance better than many broadleaf trees. It's striking how shots captured using a specific technique can produce atypical results, I wouldn't have guessed that long a shutter speed (novice that I am).
09-22-2021, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
It's a nicely composed shot Tom, the pines work to keep a frozen appearance better than many broadleaf trees. It's striking how shots captured using a specific technique can produce atypical results, I wouldn't have guessed that long a shutter speed (novice that I am).
Thanks, yes, the pine leaves pick up a lot less wind than deciduous tree leaves.
09-23-2021, 04:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still time to get those long exposure images in before this Project closes later today.
09-23-2021, 02:02 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know I've already submitted, but this project has me experimenting and I wanted to share this shot. All I've done is minor adjustments to shadow/highlights and haze removal in Rawtherapee, yet it's almost to me turned into a digital painting in appearance.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
09-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
All I've done is minor adjustments to shadow/highlights and haze removal in Rawtherapee, yet it's almost to me turned into a digital painting in appearance.Attached ImagesView Picture EXIF
It's a very intriguing image, but I have no idea what this is a photo of.
09-24-2021, 12:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
It's a very intriguing image, but I have no idea what this is a photo of.
Thanks RGlasel, it's a crystal orb using a small light up gatcha toy to illuminate it. I'd like to say it was me communicating with spirits from the other side, but thought a literal explanation best
09-24-2021, 04:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This Project is not closed.

Noel will choose his favorite image shortly.
09-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
This Project is not closed.

Noel will choose his favorite image shortly.
“Now” or “not”?

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-24-2021 at 07:01 AM.