Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly challenge #561 - Winter
Posted By: turbo_bird, 11-21-2021, 05:11 PM

Thanks again Yaki for last week's challenge of low key photos, and thanks for choosing my photo. Seeing how where I live we just got our first snowfall a couple days ago, let's see some photos of winter. Winter is one of my favourite times of year for photography, as there's so much variety in weather and lighting conditions, and everything looks so different covered in snow. Another bonus is that the sun is fairly low in the sky all day long, so I don't have to get up early for sunrise. I know not everyone in the world gets snow, but most of us get some type of winter season, so that's up for interpretation as well.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

And just because I can, here's a few samples.

Have fun everyone!
Kristian
Views: 1,101
6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #16

I always wanted to go across the State and visit this lighthouse in St. Joseph, MI during the dead of winter, 125 miles from my home . My hope was to get some colored ice and / or some hint of color. I had a hard time choosing my favorite photo from the roll. I chose this one because it was the hardest to achieve and shows the spirit of us photogs. I patiently waited for the composition of the photographer to reveal as I froze my butt off (-20c) . The Fujifilm C200 (and Xtra 400) has always been mostly a favorite of mine for winter. It is tricky photography as it plays havoc on the old camera's light meter. I brought a long a hand held as well but settling on a vintage looking exposure was all about riding the thin line of under exposure and blowing the highlights. I also was afraid I was not going to make it here as the roads were treacherous with patchy black ice spots and many vehicles going off the road. I was super worried that my camera would brick in this cold but I just kept it in the layers of my coat.

Pentax P30t, SMC Pentax - A 70-210 f/4, Fujifilm C200, Arista C41 Liquid Kit, Epson V800 scanner.

Attached Images

6 Days Ago   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheBeav Quote
I was super worried that my camera would brick in this cold...

Maybe there ought'a be a separate category for best accompanying adventure story too?
6 Days Ago   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote

Maybe there ought'a be a separate category for best accompanying adventure story too?
Sorry, I suppose I got carried away with the motivation.Should I delete some of it?
6 Days Ago   #19
Forum Member

Sorry, I suppose I got carried away with the motivation.Should I delete some of it?
It made me smile. Leave it.

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Should I delete some of it?
Heck, no. Adds to the incentive for doin' any of this photo stuff. It puts the image in perspective and reminds me of . . . well, . . . uhh, other images made in extreme conditions?
5 Days Ago - 5 Likes   #21

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It's all good, and it's nice to hear the story behind the shots as well. The last sample shot of mine in my original post here was taken the day before my daughter was born, on my way home from work. I don't remember how cold it was, but it was with my K10D, and probably my old manual 28 f2.8, which I still use somewhat regularly on my K1. We could do like the Lemons racing series and have a prize for best bribe attempt on the judges even. I was going to comment about the times I've used my Pentax cameras well below their rated temperatures as well. My K10D worked fine at -45, even though I don't work very well then. Here's a shot it took at that kind of temperature many years ago. I thought I had it set for ISO 100, but turns out it was actually ISO 1100. I should see if I've got the raw file and run it through a modern noise reduction program, see if I can improve on it a bit.

On a side note, you guys are doing a really good job of making it hard to pick any favourites here, I'm not really looking forward to trying to pick a winner. Keep it up though.
Kristian
5 Days Ago - 6 Likes   #22
Forum Member

Weekly Photo Contest #561 - Winter

Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, CO after a light snowfall overnight.
Pentax K-3, with SMC PENTAX-DA 17-70mm F4 AL [IF] SDM at 17mm

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sevenarrow Quote
Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, CO after a light snowfall overnight.
Pentax K-3, with SMC PENTAX-DA 17-70mm F4 AL [IF] SDM at 17mm
I'm assuming you were looking to enter the weekly challenge? I've moved your post from its own thread into this one.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

5 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Merry Christmas from the Beach

Winter 2020, St. Simons Island, Georgia
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
5 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Near the top of Pilatus cog wheel train ride in Switzerland. Not exactly winter in calendar terms but certainly wintery enough for me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
5 Days Ago   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Winter 2020, St. Simons Island, Georgia
That's a superb image Gump! I love this take on a 'Christmas tree'.

---------- Post added 11-25-21 at 03:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Near the top of Pilatus cog wheel train ride in Switzerland. Not exactly winter in calendar terms but certainly wintery enough for me.
How and what did you use to create this picture Bruce? It's like a painting with a pallet knife on acid.
4 Days Ago - 7 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I headed out to a local marsh where I have had some success wth duck images lately. When I got there the marsh had frozen overnight and the duck were much further away. So, I pulled out my GRIII and turned my attention to the barrier beach between the marsh and the lake.

4 Days Ago   #28

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
That's such a dynamic image, I feel cold just looking at it.
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What else to do in Lake Louise on January 2nd, when it is too late to be skiing? Drink at an outdoor bar, of course, even if the temperature is -25C. As a side note, I plan to use this photo if there is ever a contest to ignore rules of composition. There was simply no other way to encompass the bar patrons, the servers, the bar itself along with the iconic glimpse of Lake Louise in front of Mount Victoria.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
2 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:

How and what did you use to create this picture Bruce? It's like a painting with a pallet knife on acid.
Thanks for your question. Not a lot really, The rock was on an angle the tree was on an angle, I was in a moving carriage at a steep angle, the snow was belting in at about 45 degrees. So the composition was already there. Some black and white clipping, clarity, vibrance, sharpening, strong contrast and some saturation. All the blur and painterly effects are from camera movement and the snow.