Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Weekly challenge #561 winners
Posted By: turbo_bird, 11-28-2021, 10:24 PM

First of all, thanks for all the great shots everyone entered, it's going to be tough to pick an overall winner here, but I'll do my best.

Ramseybuckeye, great shot. The stubble left from harvest, bare trees, and frost all say winter too me, and a great sunrise as well. The line of trees marching the shape of the barn is a nice touch as well.

Will in Seattle, a great shot of a couple that look to be enjoying some Christmas lights. Is that you and your wife, or a candid shot? Either way, looks great, and the lights being out if focus was a great choice. My wife would argue that it's still autumn, but that's about as serious as our arguments ever get, so all is well there.

Pacerr, great shot of an old barn. I like the way you've got the branches and trees framing it, and I'm a sucker for farm and ranch shots, probably because I grew up farming.

Atupdate, I really like the way you've got the fence leading up to the barn, as well as the barn being basically the only real colour in the shot. That really draws the eye to the barn, and the relative lack of colour is one of the things I really like about winter photography.

Vaskebjorn, very nice shot of the gull. At first glance it looks like just a normal landing on water, then you realize it's standing on the ice. It's a very minimalistic shot as well, I like it.

Kerrowdown, what a shot, I feel cold just looking at it. There's just something about a layer of snow without tracks in it yet. The lack of colour just helps reinforce the cold feeling too, along with the dark sky.

Aaacb, great use of black and white. The footprints leading to the silhouette of a person walking away, and the lights showing the path leading into the distance is nice, and the branches meeting above is just icing on the proverbial cake.

Noelcmn, very nice abstract shot of the frost. Nice use of light and shadow as well. Was it early morning light or artificial? In any case, great job.

Jmschrei, looks like a good place to go for a walk, and a good tradition to have. Looks like you've got a good variety of trees there to look at as well. Nice contrast between the evergreens and the mostly bare deciduous trees as well.

CedrusMacro, nice star on your Christmas tree, very creative. I didn't realize carnival rides still run in cold weather, but I guess why not? Carney's have to make a living too I guess, and the lineups are probably a bit shorter.

P706, a very nice shot of the frost covered rose. Simple and elegant, sharp where it matters, and not where it doesn't. Sometimes less really is more, good job.

TheBeav, it's funny sometimes how we get an idea of a photo we want to take, and come away with something totally different. I assume that's the ocean beyond the beach? Great shot though, very minimalist, and just the photographer on the ice to give any sense of scale.

Sevenarrow, great use of colour with the bright red rocks and blue sky contrasted against the muted green and brown of the trees and railing. The arc of the path leading to the distant rock really works too.

Gump, a very creative Christmas tree. It just goes to show that it doesn't have to be cold to have the festive spirit. I'm sure there's a story behind it.

Bruce Clark, your photo looks like a painting, and I mean that in a good way. The way the flying snow wipes out a lot of the fine details is great, and the lean of the tree matching the rock is pretty interesting too.

Jacamar, great shot of the icicles lit by the morning sun, and good use of black and white to really accentuate the light and shadows.

RGlasel, it doesn't get much more wintery than bartenders wearing fur lined parkas at an ice bar. The lit up ice carvings are a nice touch too.

Yaki, that's a lonely looking playground. The single light and the shadow of the jungle gym is great, as well as the slide sort of hidden in the shadows.

In the end though, I think I'm going to have to give the nod to Bruce Clark for his shot of the tree in a snowstorm as the winner. Thanks everyone for all the great photos.

Kristian
Views: 518
11-29-2021, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What a great challenge and thanks for hosting turbo bird. Congratulations Bruce with a very worthy winner.

Tim
11-29-2021, 01:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great choice Kristian, and a great picture worthy the prize Bruce Clark
11-29-2021, 02:26 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, thank you turbo-bird for selecting my image.

I rate this section of Pentax Forums as of the most interest to me: seeing the different interpretations on a word or theme.
I am of two minds right now on selectig a new topic. I like to build on the past challenge so either it will be a season related, possibly summer, or something physically not far from where this image was taken. I shall sleep on it overnight and post the new Challenge tomorrow, Aussie time.

Hint: think Lucere, Switzerland.

11-29-2021, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Bruce, fabulous image!
11-29-2021, 04:22 AM   #6

Congrats Bruce, I really enjoyed your image. I particularly liked your response on how you achieved it. I wasn't sure and it made perfect sense to the mystery. Well done
11-29-2021, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Bruce, although I saw that one coming from a mile away .
Thanks for the challenge Kristian it sure was challenging.

11-29-2021, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Bruce, amazing image and well chosen Kristian. This one had so many amazing images, everyone did great.

Thanks for the feedback observations too Kristian.
11-29-2021, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Great choice. I think I finally convinced myself this really is a photo, not some strange painting technique. I easily spent as much time looking at this image as all the rest combined.