Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly challenge #562 - Statues and monuments
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 11-29-2021, 02:17 PM

One of the things I like to capture while travelling is some of the monuments or statues both large and small that are found in the streets and laneways. I tend to avoid "Kings on Horseback" and "Knights slaying Dragons" but look for the small and sometime quirky. On the way back from Pilatus, I got talking to a lady who was travelling Europe. She asked if I had been to see the "Lion of Lucerne". This went on my to do list and it was the most moving monument I can recall ever seeing. Also in the streets of Lucerne, as in most cities, there are other smaller statues that took my eye.

So this is the challenge, an unusual or moving statue you have found in your travels.

Entries close in one week December 7th 2021.

Have some fun and good luck

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 1,098
11-29-2021, 04:36 PM - 3 Likes   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
To Hell And Back

Something a little different... PP just added for a bit of drama.

It's the Il-Funtana tat-Tritoni (The Tritons’ Fountain) located just outside the City Gate of Valletta, Malta. It consists of three bronze Tritons holding up a large basin. Designed and constructed between 1952 and 1959 by sculptor Chevalier Vincent Apap and draughtsman Victor Anastasi.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-01-2021 at 06:35 AM.
11-29-2021, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Decanter

DECANTER
by Frank Stella

This sculpture is in the Cullen Sculpture Garden at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. It is different from most sculptures in that it does not stand alone, but rather is mounted on a wall.

Over time I have taken photos of most of the sculptures in the garden. The sculptures are contemporary (20th century) in nature with works by artists such as Calder, Matisse, and Miro. The oldest sculpture in the garden is a Rodin dating from 1899.

Last edited by AggieDad; 11-29-2021 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added artist's name
11-30-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
11-30-2021, 07:06 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC, US
11-30-2021, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

12-01-2021, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hitar Petar

А hero from Bulgarian folk tales, famous for his cunning.
Statue in front of the Museum of Humor and Satire in Gabrovo, Bulgaria

Nice challenge Bruce.
I love photographing statues and monuments and have thons of pictures but when it comes to strange or weird ones I usually remember those from the Museum above. And this one is very expressive and positive in a funny way. At leas for me. (no one can say that his donkey has no balls )

Last edited by Yaki; 12-02-2021 at 04:39 AM.
12-01-2021, 10:18 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This challenge is somewhat of a challenge as I do not have a lot of photo’s that would qualify, so I had ro dig in the box with oldies
This photo is taken in the medina of Sūsah (Sousse), Tunisia. The medina is on the Unesco world heritage list. On the right hand side you see a part of the Great Mosque which dates back to 851 (that is correctly without the 1). The mosque doubled as a fortress. On the left hand side is the city wall towards the harbour. Sūsah also has a ribat next ro the mosque which is also a fortress and high in the city is a big fortress. As you might notice the city is heavily fortified.

12-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is a memorial to the 20 lives lost in the 1982 sinking of HMS Sheffield during the Falklands War. it is located on Sea Lion Island. While we were there a group of military people showed up to do some maintenance.

12-04-2021, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's Ceasar- at Emperor's Palace.
12-05-2021, 06:40 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We don't have much around here for statues, but this CF-5 sits in the traffic circle at our airport. I had a shot of it from this summer that I was thinking about posting here, but thought a night time shot with the fresh snow would be better, so I stopped by after work this morning for this one.

The airport was named after John Fulton, the first commander of the 419 Moose squadron during WWII, and the city of Kamloops ceremoniously adopted the 419 squadron. A Wellington bomber would probably be a more appropriate monument to John Fulton, as that's what he flew in WWII, but probably also a lot harder to find, and a fabric covered plane would take too much maintenance as a display piece.
Kristian
12-05-2021, 10:02 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Had to dig into the archives for this challenge. During a visit to Copenhagen in the summer of 2011, I stumbled across several artistic elephants scattered throughout the city. They were quite a conversation topic and rumors swirled about why they were there. I was convinced it was some sort of partnership with the zoo. Only after did I learn they were actually part of an elephant parade raising awareness for Asian elephant preservation efforts - https://www.elephantparade.com/parades/copenhagen-2011

12-06-2021, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne (1934)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
12-06-2021, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Statue of Gabriel Dumont, the best known fighter on the losing side of the second Riel Rebellion (sometimes referred to as the North-West Rebellion). Louis Riel was hanged in 1885, but Dumont escaped to the United States and was granted amnesty by the Canadian government a year later (Dumont travelled a bit before returning to Saskatchewan in 1890). This statue is located in a small green space in downtown Saskatoon, about 50 miles from where Dumont lived for most of his life, and it is quite likely he would have ridden on the same piece of ground, on the low bank of the South Saskatchewan River.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-07-2021, 12:14 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great entries so far
I will close the challenge tonight and post a winner tomorrow morning Australian time