Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
Project 52-10-13: Intentional Camera Movement
Posted By: djb47, 12-03-2021, 05:57 AM

Intentional Camera Movement photography is an abstract style of shooting that has no rules – it all comes down to moving your camera over a long exposure. This type of photography brings out the expressionist painter in all of us; the camera is our paint and the sensor is our canvas. Most images require the camera to be still but you can capture something completely different by deliberately moving it during the exposure.

Photos for P52-10-13 are to be taken and posted between Dec 3 and Dec9.

Rules:
1.Anyone and everyone who is interested is eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-10 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture or how it represents the weekly theme.
4.Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure,color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non
Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, etc. But no phones, please.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7.The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.

Last edited by djb47; 12-04-2021 at 06:18 AM.
Views: 959
12-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This one is a little different, I have a lot of unintentional camera movement, maybe if I try to move it it will be still, . . . probably not, I've got to think about this one, initially I thought of panning, then I read that it's an abstract. This one is a real challenge,
12-04-2021, 06:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
This one is a little different, I have a lot of unintentional camera movement, maybe if I try to move it it will be still, . . . probably not, I've got to think about this one, initially I thought of panning, then I read that it's an abstract. This one is a real challenge,
I would have no problem with panning even though it is not abstract. You definitely are moving the camera when you pan.
12-05-2021, 06:44 PM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was trying to come up with something for this project, until I was driving home from work this morning on a snowy highway. I propped my camera up on the dash and took a few 8 second exposures, and kind of like how it worked out with the sky relatively stationary compared to the moving foreground. Sort of the opposite of most long exposures.

Kristian

12-06-2021, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
I was trying to come up with something for this project, until I was driving home from work this morning on a snowy highway. I propped my camera up on the dash and took a few 8 second exposures, and kind of like how it worked out with the sky relatively stationary compared to the moving foreground. Sort of the opposite of most long exposures.

Kristian
I really think you captured the spirit of a straight line, highway drive here Kristian. Nice work.
12-06-2021, 05:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote

Kristian
Very interesting approach!
12-06-2021, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hung some Christmas lights in my workshop and moved my camera in a circular motion trying to get light trail circles. Definitely not Monet quality but fun to play at. This is as close as I came. Settings on the K100D/F35-70 were F45mm, f13, 1 sec and ISO 200.

12-07-2021, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my attempt. The picture is taken with Pentax composite mode from 3 pictures in bulb mode ISO 100; F10 where the first one is still as it can be handhold for around a 10 seconds, the second is moving with the same focal length (98) and the third is moving on 300 - don't know the time of exposure. It was fun to experiment. if this doesn't count I can sent another
12-07-2021, 10:10 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Forum Member

Christmas lights. 2.5s exposure, 70-300 zoom. I held the zoom ring stationary and rotated the camera for a somewhat spiraling effect.

12-07-2021, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Will in Seattle Quote
Christmas lights. 2.5s exposure, 70-300 zoom. I held the zoom ring stationary and rotated the camera for a somewhat spiraling effect.
I've played with zooming during a long exposure a couple times in the past, but never thought to hold the zoom ring and turn the camera instead. That's a good idea for an interesting spiral effect.
Kristian
12-08-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Last minute on this challenge, but glad I can contribute- I tried to pan with this shot to create a ghost train (I felt inspired by Kristian's image). I did one with a little more post editing to create a black and white look using an infrared filter, which if anyone would like to see I'll post- I found it highlighted some details not as obvious in the overcast rain we've got post storm.

Pentax K-S1, Tamron 02B 28mm, f.22 and 0.8 sec.

Last edited by CedrusMacro; 11-24-2022 at 04:16 PM.
12-08-2021, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just completed a bunch of photos for this challenge, and it was fun. I added a flash to get a little stoppage in the action. On this one I used a 2 second exposure, zoomed out and rotated the camera. I've uploaded some to Flickr, that will look like I've gone mad compared to my normal photostream.
12-10-2021, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This project is now closed.

Good turnout this week with a nice selection of images.
12-11-2021, 11:16 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I could not agree more. Thanks you all for making this so difficult, and I really hate having to judge this. The winner is turbo_bird, for the sense of speed you captured on this one, the overall blue tones, composition and technique. As you said, not your normal long exposure. A very close 2nd spot is djb47, Fantastic shot! Thanks all for your entries. Now I am off to check out what collecction I have of anything for the flat lay challenge.
12-11-2021, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Excellent choice for the win this week Noel, well done Kristian and everyone else.