Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread

Weekly challenge #563 - Opportune Moments
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 12-07-2021, 04:21 PM

For me one of the delights of photography is when a situation just comes along, for which your almost totally unprepared for... like a bolt out of the blue and just screams capture me.

So for this week lets have some pure fun... your image that is totally unstaged and that has presented itself to you, as you stand there camera in hand. What I always call the "spontaneous belter", but then as you all know... I often see the lighter side of life when I'm not actively working on a shoot.

Entries close in one week 14th December 2021.

Enjoy being frivolous, this week it's not about technical standards, composition and the like... but just the immediate capture of that brief moment before it's lost forever.

Here's a few from me that I hope convey this challenge.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 1,628
12-11-2021, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great shots seizing the moments this week! This challenge has highlighted just how much my photography has evolved towards setting up the shot and dialing in all the settings (I use mostly manual lenses) which has kinda reduced the number of shots I feel would be keeping squarely within the theme's guidance to 'have fun'

This was an early shot with my new to me KS-1, and what a random event!Not everyday you see a herd marching down the main highway past your door- this one was shot in one of the auto modes (I've not gone with that high ISO since!).

Last edited by CedrusMacro; 11-24-2022 at 04:16 PM.
12-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
I try to always have my camera in my car with me when I go to work and such, just in case I find something worthy of a photo. This shot was one of those moments, taken on my way home from work one day. It was a very overcast and dark afternoon, but when I saw the sun starting to hit the bottom of the mountain as it dipped below the layer of clouds, I decided to turn around and head for a spot where I knew I'd have a reasonable view of the mountain above the city. By the time I got to my vantage point, the light was on the entire hillside, and I was able to snap this shot before it started to fade. Just one of those moments that reminded me of why I try to always keep my camera with me.

Kristian
Great shot, I often do the same, but it is frustrating when you are on a road that is too busy to pull over and nowhere to get off. I’ll be going through a mountain area of Virginia in a couple of weeks that has gorgeous views, but no where safe to stop.
12-12-2021, 01:11 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I waited for her to surface, called name, ready with the camera.
12-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I waited for her to surface, called name, ready with the camera.
So she wasn't actually winking at you...

12-13-2021, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my proposal. I choose this picture because I am Ford fan and a member of Bulgaria's Ford fan club. 10 years ago we started to make photo contest of Ford amateur photos, where the 12 photos selected by voting included in the club's annual calendar for the following year. This contest was the beginning of my passion to photography and when I see interesting model of this brand I cant hold myself from taking a picture of it althow there is no longer a photo contest to participate in. This autumn when I was on the road and took a short break for a cigarette (bad habit) I saw this tractor. Then the old passion awaked inside of me. I throw the cigarette, ran to the car ( also Ford - Focus MK1 facelift 1800 Tdci), garbed the camera from the back seat and turned it on just in time to take a few photos of the vehicle which turned in front of me and vanished among the bushes.

---------- Post added 12-13-21 at 09:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Tom, this ain't the caption contest.
I am afraid this thread is very much like a caption contest. At least I feel it that way
Perhaps because here is too much fun
12-13-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Great shot, I often do the same, but it is frustrating when you are on a road that is too busy to pull over and nowhere to get off. I’ll be going through a mountain area of Virginia in a couple of weeks that has gorgeous views, but no where safe to stop.
Thanks, and you're not wrong about how much it sucks to drive by a great shot and not be able to stop. I've tried to go back once in a while for ones that I couldn't stop for, and it's never the same. We took a family trip to northern BC and the Yukon this summer, and that was great. Nobody on the roads almost and I could stop wherever I wanted to take a picture from the middle of the road sometimes. It was very odd to get back to more populated areas and lose that
Kristian
12-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
I am Ford fan and a member of Bulgaria's Ford fan club.
Here in the 'States' Ford means 'Found On the Road Dead' or 'Fix Or Repair Daily'.

(I own a Chevy.)

12-13-2021, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Here in the 'States' Ford means 'Found On the Road Dead' or 'Fix Or Repair Daily'.

(I own a Chevy.)
I didn't know those abbreviations but I Like them and will include to my Ford anecdote collection. Thanks

in response I can only say that Ford and gypsy do not work at winter, but One Ford ignited in the winter and they named it Focus. And that's my car
And about Chevy-es I don't kow any anecdotes
By the way I took prticipation in the Guiness record for the longest Ford column in 2016

Last edited by Yaki; 12-13-2021 at 02:14 PM.
12-14-2021, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I didn't know those abbreviations but I Like them and will include to my Ford anecdote collection. Thanks

in response I can only say that Ford and gypsy do not work at winter, but One Ford ignited in the winter and they named it Focus. And that's my car
By the way I took prticipation in the Guiness record for the longest Ford column in 2016
Longest Ford column Yaki...I've got a mental image of hundreds of Ford's stacked on top of one another reaching for the sky 😄. I'll have to look that one up!
12-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure some Ford owners have their own jokes about Chevys. All in good fun.
12-14-2021, 11:52 PM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
Ok that’s this one closed now, I’ll post up the results later today.
12-15-2021, 01:48 PM - 3 Likes   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Winner of Weekly challenge #563 - Opportune Moments

Right where to begin... a thread of fun pictures, tractor discussions and rival car manufacturers.

So for me this challenge is all about a bit of fun and spur of moment eye grabbing imagery. Here's a few that I liked immediately and would like to add a few comments on.

aaacb: "guy just walked to the tree, gave it a kiss, and then walked on" a definite "being in the right place at the right time" moment. Unstaged it just begs the question... "Why?" a great image.

turbo_bird: a fine example of an opportune moment well taken, just so fleeting chances like this.

cooks333: no ice cream for the child or is it a case of "Mother give me back my ice cream?"

CedrusMacro: random event of the "march of the coos", this was well seen and taken.

noelcmn: "I waited for her to surface" a cracking wee capture indeed.

Thanks to all for viewing and participating, my winner for this weeks challenge after some deliberation goes to noelcmn for the winking lassie.

Over to noelcmn for next weeks challenge #563
12-15-2021, 10:43 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats Noel, it's a great shot.
Kristian
12-16-2021, 01:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Great work noel, I like that it's a crisp capture as well as striking whilst the iron is hot.

Cheers for the feedback Kerrowdown- replace coos for moos and you have the title I saved the .jpeg as 😄.
12-16-2021, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
Cheers for the feedback Kerrowdown- replace coos for moos and you have the title I saved the .jpeg as 😄.
Your most welcome… around these parts, moos are coos.