Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52-10-17: Product Photograghy
Posted By: djb47, 12-31-2021, 07:48 AM

Product photography is everywhere. Every time you shop on Amazon, go to McDonald’s or flick through a magazine – product photography is there. Product photography takes into careful consideration proper lighting, background materials, sharp camera focus with proper depth of field, advantageous camera angles and careful editing. The goal is to present a product in the best possible photographic representation.

Best wishes for a safe and healthy 2022 everyone.

Photos for P52-10-17 are to be taken and posted between Dec 31 and Jan 6.

Rules:
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested is eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights,and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-10 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture or how it represents the weekly theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non
Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point &Shoot,
Medium Format, etc. But no phones, please.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.

Views: 617
01-03-2022, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
My take on product photography. Sunglasses given to me for Christmas.

K-5/DA 50
01-03-2022, 12:04 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I'm a big fan of the art of brewing and consuming good quality tea and coffee. The product here is one of my favourite green teas which I discovered in Japan on a holiday. I tried a number of different takes using a range of digital cameras, and ended up liking 3 of them particularly.

I feel tea drinking is timeless, but often glamorised with historical links, muted/flat tones and objects considered precious and rare. So I'm going to go with my favourite composition of the 3, harking back to my mind of magazine shots from the 90's.

Last edited by CedrusMacro; 11-24-2022 at 04:16 PM.
01-06-2022, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

North Indian Cuisine - Rogan Josh- a tomato based Lamb curry, served with Naan bread

01-06-2022, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know if mine really fits the bill, so let me know.

It's my first 'real' go at lighting a subject, and I decided to go for one overhead lamp, featuring it in an unconventional fashion.
As a result, it has something of a grungy look, which may not be ideal for coffee but suits the tones and textures of the crinkled bag, in my opinion.
My apologies if I've not approached this correctly.
01-06-2022, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not to worry Benz3ne. Your approach is just fine.
01-07-2022, 08:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This project is now closed.

01-08-2022, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks to Kristian for judging the last project and selecting mine. Great to see the range of subjects here, and vastly different interpretations.

Djb47: professional layout to the product with a great background colour that I imagine was difficult to expose for. Looking at the image full sized also highlights the texture on the yellow material reflecting in the glasses.

Noelcmn: A good curry is a pleasure, and the product to me seems like a camping food supply. The set up gives me the impression it's outdoors? I think the product itself should have received greater presence as I feel I'm looking more at a meal, and less the brand/packet. The lighting looked challenging to work with!

Benz3ne: Nice shot, emphasis is placed on the subject, that dark wood floor compliments nicely. I would have preferred to not see the lighting unit in the background as it distracts the eye. Similarly, the choice of a portrait orientation (I love tall shots as a rule) I feel works against the products importance as there is a lot of unfilled shadow. I saw you had another shot of this on your Flickr which was a closer focus- that would have swung it for me.

As such, I'm picking Don for this projects winner. The focus on the product remains and the choice of stage suits it well. Hope to see the participation strong in the next project as well 🙂
01-08-2022, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
Thanks to Kristian for judging the last project and selecting mine. Great to see the range of subjects here, and vastly different interpretations.

Djb47: professional layout to the product with a great background colour that I imagine was difficult to expose for. Looking at the image full sized also highlights the texture on the yellow material reflecting in the glasses.

Noelcmn: A good curry is a pleasure, and the product to me seems like a camping food supply. The set up gives me the impression it's outdoors? I think the product itself should have received greater presence as I feel I'm looking more at a meal, and less the brand/packet. The lighting looked challenging to work with!

Benz3ne: Nice shot, emphasis is placed on the subject, that dark wood floor compliments nicely. I would have preferred to not see the lighting unit in the background as it distracts the eye. Similarly, the choice of a portrait orientation (I love tall shots as a rule) I feel works against the products importance as there is a lot of unfilled shadow. I saw you had another shot of this on your Flickr which was a closer focus- that would have swung it for me.

As such, I'm picking Don for this projects winner. The focus on the product remains and the choice of stage suits it well. Hope to see the participation strong in the next project as well 🙂
Very kind, thank you! Good entries all around I think.
01-08-2022, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks CedrusMarco. Appreciate the feedback. I've grown to like tea more than coffee these days but I find green tea too mild for my tastes.

Sorry Benz3ne I do like your image but I also would not include the lighting unit in the composition.

A good curry is always a pleasure Noel.

Cheers all.
01-08-2022, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
Thanks CedrusMarco. Appreciate the feedback. I've grown to like tea more than coffee these days but I find green tea too mild for my tastes.

Sorry Benz3ne I do like your image but I also would not include the lighting unit in the composition.

A good curry is always a pleasure Noel.

Cheers all.
Much appreciated, Don. I personally enjoyed including the lighting but I fully appreciate that it wouldn’t be in the interests of most.
01-09-2022, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Don, great shot, worthy of a catalogue. Thanks CedrusMacro for the judging exercise and the comments. The light was indeed challenging.
01-09-2022, 07:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Cheers all, interested to know where you staged this meal shot noelcmn- indoors or outdoors?