Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners - Weekly Challenge #566 - Leading Lines
Posted By: jchorst, 01-11-2022, 03:01 PM

First of all, I want to thank you all again for your contributions. You compellingly demonstrated how a simple compositional concept can produce stunning results.

Next thing I noticed is that the amount of likes in this challenge is exactly 42. As we all know, 42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Quite an achievement for a Weekly Challenge on Pentax Forums.

Whith that out of the way, here are my thoughts about each entry:

aaacb: A wonderful minimalistic scene, whith the leading lines - the rail tracks - mysteriously emerging from the black and vanishing into the glowing lignt. Perfectly balanced. I especially like how the tree line together with the building forms a "V" which also leads the eye to the light.

gump; This is a fascinating black-and-white take of a well known sight. You place the point the street leads to by applying the Golden Rule (or so I think), which in itself is great. However, in my opinion the picture could do with less sky., since there's not much going on there. Maybe the earth-sky-ratio should be the other way round?

atupdate: A wonderfully balanced composition of Carillon Bell Tower with Chrismas Lights at Night in Dayton. (I looked this up.) All the lines in the picture lead to the perfectly placed light. You turned the symbolic Christmas Tree into an Art Deco-like, abstract scenery.

Vaskebjorn: The eye is irresistibly drawn into the centre, almost like into a black hole.

Kerrowdown: A beautifully oomposed Edinburgh scene with intriguingly crossing diagonal, vertical and horizontal lines.

Streuli: Another perfectly balanced rail track scene. I very much like the ominous mood of the sky.

ramseybuckeye: A wonderful misty, panoramic landscape with the tree as a clearly defined, perfectly placed terminal point of the crop lines. I espescially like the almost black-and-white composition. Great atmosphere!

Hattifnatt: Another atmospheric landscape with great lighting. In my opinion the composition suffers a bit from not having a clearly defined terminal point for the lines (trees).

turbo_bird: Living in Central Europe, I first thought you faked (i.e. edited) the colour of the aurora. But no, it's the real thing. Great composition!

noelcmn: Great capture of a skyscraper, with the lines leading exactly to the shining hole in the clouds. In my opinion, the peak of the skyscraper is a little bit too close to the frame of the picture.

SpecialK: An idyllic vineyard with lines leading to the rosebush in the foreground. Very calming mood!

CedrusMacro: Many horizontal and vertical lines which make up an interesting underground car park scene. I somehow miss a clearly defined "king" of the picture, a central point of interest.

Fdooch: A fascinating angle of this spiralling tower. However, the peak of the tower almost seems to poke the frame of the picture.

RGlasel: You gave as an atmospheric scene of a car show. The lines of the roofs are cleverly aligned to the lines of the parked cars. And we even have a leading arrow!

Eric Auer: A great, almost abstract display of rectangular and curved levels. Perfect, discreet application of the rule of thirds.

jacamar: You finish the challenge with an atmospheric winter landscape. Great composition, great atmosphere - chilly and yet idyllic.

Those were my completely subjective opinions. Picking the winners wasn't easy, as you can imagine. Here we go:

Third place goes to aaacb - rail tracks with a mystery.

Second place goes to ramseybuckeye - a tree I won't forget.

And the winner is atupdate - Christmas lights turned Art Deco.

That's it from me. Your turn, atupdate (aka Tim)!
Views: 310
01-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the comments on all entries, and thank you for the third place! Congrats atupdate!
01-11-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Tim, that photo is a cracker, Carillon Park never looked better, and great job with the challenge Christoph!
01-12-2022, 12:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats atupdate and the runners up, the images were really strong this week- cheers jchorst for taking the time to comment on all of them, I appreciate the feedback we get from these weekly challenges, always keeps me coming back and trying to improve.

01-12-2022, 03:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to atupdate and of course the foloow ups. It was a great challenge. I am looking forward to the next one.
01-12-2022, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for picking my image as the winner. I didn't mean to make you look it up. They have snow fences around the display and have made a small photographers slot for this picture angle. I'll get the next challenge up later today.

Tim
01-12-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Atupdate, as noted, a cracker of an image! Worthy winner And extended to Ramseybuckeye and aaacb. Some wonderful images in this challenge, and the judging could not have been easy. Thanks jchorst for the challenge, the C&C's.

01-12-2022, 09:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the comments on all the shots, and congrats to the winners. There were a lot of great shots this week.
Kristian
01-13-2022, 09:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jchorst Quote
Hattifnatt: Another atmospheric landscape with great lighting. In my opinion the composition suffers a bit from not having a clearly defined terminal point for the lines (trees).
That's exactly what I thought when I posted the photo. I would have liked for some spectacular clouds or something. Oh well.

Thanks for the challenge and congratulations to the winners!