Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread

Project 52-10-22: Common Things
Posted By: djb47, 02-04-2022, 06:19 AM

A ball, a door handle, a fork are just a few common objects that we see all the time. Let's take a closer look at these details in our lives and make the ordinary become extra-ordinary. Try and arrange things in your shot to convey depth, emotion, or perhaps even a surreal, thought-provoking moment. Take your time, craft your story, and show us the common things in life that perhaps deserve a second look.

Photos for P52-10-22 are to be taken and posted between Feb 4 and Feb 10.

Rules:
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested is eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-10 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture or how it represents the weekly theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non
Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, etc. But no phones, please.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
Views: 1,232
02-11-2022, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That's a neat looking toaster Tom. Had not seen a blue one before. Missing the coffee???

Great macro shot Noel. Hate to be the one interlacing all those straws.

---------- Post added 02-11-22 at 08:21 AM ----------

This project is now closed. Thank you all for your participation.

02-11-2022, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
That's a neat looking toaster Tom. Had not seen a blue one before. Missing the coffee???
I had forgot about the project until last night, saw the deadline, so I set this up, but I'm not a coffee drinker anyway. I did put that bread back, and toasted it this morning. I tried to get a few everyday things in there besides the "morning" theme, that's where the phone and charger, and the Amazon Echo device come in. My wife buys things like toasters for what they look like
02-14-2022, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
As for the lighting in mine, it's from above (a small LED grow light we use on the house plants) and slightly angled to provide the light from the same direction as the camera viewed it.
Thanks. I have been trying to get better at artificial lighting so finding out how people illuminated their shots is something I have taken more interest in.
02-14-2022, 12:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hey all, just thought may be worth checking up on the judging for last few projects, think it's around 2-3 behind.

02-14-2022, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
Hey all, just thought may be worth checking up on the judging for last few projects, think it's around 2-3 behind.
We are overdue some judging. Have not heard from MikeStnly, the Bubbles judge.

If you all don't mind I'll pick Noel as the fav for the bubbles and he can get on with judging the Fifty, Fifty, Fifty project and we can move forward.

Alternatively we can all judge the projects by hitting the LIKE button for our fav image in the projects, everyone can participate. Feelings???
02-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If you all don't mind I'll pick Noel as the fav for the bubbles and he can get on with judging the Fifty, Fifty, Fifty project and we can move forward.

Alternatively we can all judge the projects by hitting the LIKE button for our fav image in the projects, everyone can participate. Feelings???
Honestly happy for Noel as fave for the bubbles- it's a worthy pick , allows the process to get back into gear.
02-15-2022, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, I'll PM Noel and ask him to judge the Fifty, Fifty, Fifty.

---------- Post added 02-15-22 at 08:26 AM ----------

Noel has agreed to judge this project later today.

Thanks Noel.

02-15-2022, 09:00 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I will likely be a sporadic participant I would be against this but would try to do it if that is decided.
02-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually like them all. If I remember to not do that and do one at the end, that will work ok.
02-15-2022, 05:41 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For now we'll continue with the judging option. If there are issues in the future we can revisit the LIKE option.

Tom, you get to judge this Project.
02-17-2022, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don really started this projects off with a bang with his polarized plastic ware. What a very cool shot, nicely organized also, kind of an abstract still life.

Andrew’s shot of the boot has a lot of character, texture or the boot, of the supporting surface and of the background object, I really like the light here, the shadow really fit the old worn boot. I know it has character, every time I look at it I starts thinking of the Beatles’ “Olde Brown Shoe” in my head.

Kristian’s lens photo has another cool lighting effect, it’s interesting how the different lenses reflect differently. It makes me wonder, does the 28 render cooler colors?

CedrusMacro has set a new bar for toilet paper photography! He’s put the object into new light, really. Remember colored toilet paper? I think the dyes became an environmental concern.

Hmm, that was sourdough bread in the toaster, need to get another loaf, good toast.

Noel’s straw hat is a fantastic texture, I look at it and think you could make a maze puzzle from that pattern. Next I want to see you wearing the hat.

There are some very good photos here, it’s a hard choice, but I’m going with popular choices and Don’s incredible plastic shot. It’s given us all something to try out. So Don, beside running this project series, you get to judge the next one too.
02-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Don really started this projects off with a bang with his polarized plastic ware. What a very cool shot, nicely organized also, kind of an abstract still life.

Andrew’s shot of the boot has a lot of character, texture or the boot, of the supporting surface and of the background object, I really like the light here, the shadow really fit the old worn boot. I know it has character, every time I look at it I starts thinking of the Beatles’ “Olde Brown Shoe” in my head.

Kristian’s lens photo has another cool lighting effect, it’s interesting how the different lenses reflect differently. It makes me wonder, does the 28 render cooler colors?

CedrusMacro has set a new bar for toilet paper photography! He’s put the object into new light, really. Remember colored toilet paper? I think the dyes became an environmental concern.

Hmm, that was sourdough bread in the toaster, need to get another loaf, good toast.

Noel’s straw hat is a fantastic texture, I look at it and think you could make a maze puzzle from that pattern. Next I want to see you wearing the hat.

There are some very good photos here, it’s a hard choice, but I’m going with popular choices and Don’s incredible plastic shot. It’s given us all something to try out. So Don, beside running this project series, you get to judge the next one too.
Cheers Tom, an excellent choice with Don's forks, really was setting the standard- look forward to testing that one myself!

I genuinely didn't spot the disappearance of coloured rolls, but hearing you mention it I do remember it- pinks and beige were popular round here!
02-18-2022, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Tom.

Great photos everyone. Thank you for your participation.
02-18-2022, 08:50 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Thanks. I was going for a specific feeling with the shot so I'm glad it cam through.