Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Challenge #570 Woodland Scenes
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 02-07-2022, 03:44 PM

Thanks to noelcmn for last weeks challenge and for tasking me as this weeks host.

This weeks challenge has always been a favourite subject of mine and one that I still find personally challenging. So it will be most interesting to see your Woodland Scenes from around the World.

The challenge will close on Tuesday 15th February 2022 @ 24:00 GMT. Closure and Judging will happen on Wednesday morning on the 16th, after coffee has been consumed.

Simple Rules:

1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Here's a few of mine to get the challenge off the starting blocks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-09-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Views: 2,256
02-12-2022, 06:57 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
This is an area close to my house called Holly Shelter Game Land, this area shown is a longleaf pine savanna,
I almost chose a pine flatland shot from Florida - love the landscape and the birdlife - but this is much better. Glad I went more local!

02-12-2022, 08:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I was out in the woods yesterday but the lighting was better for birds, not so much for landscapes, so I dug back to last month and found one that I had not used and uploaded it to Flicker this morning. This is an area close to my house called Holly Shelter Game Land, this area shown is a longleaf pine savanna, longleaf pines, and grass, little underbrush. On the right is the tip of a pocosin area, which is a bog full of shrubs and smaller trees. Usually when I go out early in the morning, the pocosin areas are layered with low lying fog. On this day a fog was up in the canopy of the savanna, but clear below, I thought it was odd but interesting, but when the sun rose it became even more interesting. The savannas are the home to the red-cockaded woodpecker, and other birds like the pine warbler. While there yesterday I saw no woodpeckers, one palm warbler, lots of yellow-rumped warblers and american robins.
Love the sun star and choice of low light silhouette Tom! I'm a sucker for pines and conifers, heck gymnosperms in general, they are (outside of forestry) generally a much misunderstood group.
02-12-2022, 10:28 AM - 5 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Woodland Scenes

A road I sometimes walk near my home.
Annapolis, Maryland, USA
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-13-2022, 03:52 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bush track near Daylesford, Victoria. Just after taking this, I tripped over a tree root and landed heavily on one knee in a tangle of camera, tripod and backpack. It was a long and painfuly walk back. Luckily no permanent damage was done.

Attached Images

02-13-2022, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Bush track near Daylesford, Victoria. Just after taking this, I tripped over a tree root and landed heavily on one knee in a tangle of camera, tripod and backpack. It was a long and painfuly walk back. Luckily no permanent damage was done.
Suffering for your art and the forum Bruce, a true photographer 😁.
02-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow... a good response so far and still with a couple of days to go... it's gonna be quite a selection task.
02-14-2022, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

near Stegna, pomorskie, Poland. on the hill just above sea level.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2022 at 13:35 ----------

And I want to just mention that first image here by aaacb is just amazing.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
02-14-2022, 11:01 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and one more if it is allowed to post more that one
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
02-15-2022, 03:28 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LukaszWro Quote
and one more if it is allowed to post more that one
Just one photo only as per the rules I’m afraid… so we’ll go with your first submission in this case.
02-15-2022, 03:50 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Just one photo only as per the rules I’m afraid… so we’ll go with your first submission in this case.
That’s ok.
02-15-2022, 04:53 AM - 3 Likes   #26

Here's my submission. Not sure if I got the resolution right...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
02-15-2022, 08:19 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was taken late fall on a foggy day, while I was out for a walk. I was out on Sunday in the snow and brought my camera, but haven't had time to put anything on the computer from then.

Kristian
02-16-2022, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Weekly Challenge #570 Woodland Scenes

First coffee onboard, so that's this weeks challenge closed now, turbo_bird just managed to sneak in there at the last knockings...

Judging by the huge amount of submissions this week, it appears I'm not alone with my love of woodlands. As is my way, I like to comment of a few of the entries that caught my eye.

aaacb: I do like the colour way in this image, something almost mystical about the scene.

atupdate: A photographer after my own heart... it's hard to beat a dark moody root system.

swanlefitte: A pleasing image right enough, thanks for the heads up on Black Walnut 50 feet exclusion zone due to the compound called juglone, I banked that fact as the one thing I learned that day.

Vaskebjorn: What a cracking Blue moody feel to this one.

jchorst: Does 6/7 trees make a woodland?

Fdooch: Russian birch woodlands are so similar to Highland ones here, they certainly do make for wonderful subjects in this type of dappled light.

cg57: Love the scene, if it were mine I'd be tempted back the saturation down a tad , nevertheless a fine image.

ramseybuckeye: Great light and very well handled here.

Wellshot: Wish I could find such twisty knurled trees (Oak?) as this, I would visit many times under all manner of lighting conditions, mist fog would be a bonus too.

Right, so for me this weeks winner is... ramseybuckeye,

And the mentioned in despatches/honourable mentions go to Vaskebjorn, cg57 and Wellshot.

My thanks go to all who submitted, viewed, liked and commented on this Challenge.

So over to ramseybuckeye for the next weeks Challenge #571
02-16-2022, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Congratulations to Tom (ramseybuckeye) on his win and to the honorable mentions. Looking forward to the next challenge.

Tim
02-16-2022, 06:54 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to ramseybuckeye! Thank you Kerrowdown for running the 570 challenge and the honorable mention. Ahh, the saturation ... thanks for the feedback. Congrats to all the honorable mentions and thanks to all who took part. Looking forward to the next challenge from ramseybuckeye.