Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Challenge #570 Woodland Scenes
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 02-07-2022, 03:44 PM

Thanks to noelcmn for last weeks challenge and for tasking me as this weeks host.

This weeks challenge has always been a favourite subject of mine and one that I still find personally challenging. So it will be most interesting to see your Woodland Scenes from around the World.

The challenge will close on Tuesday 15th February 2022 @ 24:00 GMT. Closure and Judging will happen on Wednesday morning on the 16th, after coffee has been consumed.

Simple Rules:

1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Here's a few of mine to get the challenge off the starting blocks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-09-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Views: 2,255
02-16-2022, 07:18 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
thanks for the heads up on Black Walnut 50 feet exclusion zone due to the compound called juglone, I banked that fact as the one thing I learned that day.
I see you looked it up. I have heard blueberries won't grow years later. I find grass, raspberries, and a nasty sticker weed are immune. A natural practical joke. The open area draws you in. The raspberry thorns then steer you into the stickers. In 10 paces you end up with hundreds of stickers that take 20 minutes to remove.

I enjoyed seeing everyone's photos. You reminded me to see the forest as well as the critters when I am looking through the trees.

02-16-2022, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cg57 Quote
Thank you Kerrowdown for running the 570 challenge and the honourable mention. Ahh, the saturation ... thanks for the feedback.
Your most welcome and thanks for your participation in these challenges.
02-16-2022, 07:52 AM   #33
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I see you looked it up.
Absolutely...

You reminded me to see the forest as well as the critters
I must admit I'm only looking for the trees in the wood... rather than can't see the wood/forest (dependant of which side of the puddle you reside) for the trees.
02-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #34

First coffee onboard, so that's this weeks challenge closed now, turbo_bird just managed to sneak in there at the last knockings...

Judging by the huge amount of submissions this week, it appears I'm not alone with my love of woodlands. As is my way, I like to comment of a few of the entries that caught my eye.

aaacb: I do like the colour way in this image, something almost mystical about the scene.

atupdate: A photographer after my own heart... it's hard to beat a dark moody root system.

swanlefitte: A pleasing image right enough, thanks for the heads up on Black Walnut 50 feet exclusion zone due to the compound called juglone, I banked that fact as the one thing I learned that day.

Vaskebjorn: What a cracking Blue moody feel to this one.

jchorst: Does 6/7 trees make a woodland?

Fdooch: Russian birch woodlands are so similar to Highland ones here, they certainly do make for wonderful subjects in this type of dappled light.

cg57: Love the scene, if it were mine I'd be tempted back the saturation down a tad , nevertheless a fine image.

ramseybuckeye: Great light and very well handled here.

Wellshot: Wish I could find such twisty knurled trees (Oak?) as this, I would visit many times under all manner of lighting conditions, mist fog would be a bonus too.

Right, so for me this weeks winner is... ramseybuckeye,

And the mentioned in despatches/honourable mentions go to Vaskebjorn, cg57 and Wellshot.

My thanks go to all who submitted, viewed, liked and commented on this Challenge.

So over to ramseybuckeye for the next weeks Challenge #571
Congratulations to ramseybuckeye for a well-deserved win. And thank you Kerrowdown for the honorable mention. Twas my first weekly challenge. I can't confirm whether or not it was an Oak, but the pic was taken on a recent trip to Big Sur (Andrew Molera State Park if I'm not mistaken), where besides many young coastal redwoods, I spotted quite a few interesting trees. I'd love to go back.

02-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wellshot Quote
And thank you Kerrowdown for the honourable mention
Your welcome
02-16-2022, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So over to ramseybuckeye for the next weeks Challenge #571
Thank you, I'm honored with such a group of beautiful photos in this challenge. I'll have a new challenge up soon.

I see you looked it up. I have heard blueberries won't grow years later. I find grass, raspberries, and a nasty sticker weed are immune. A natural practical joke. The open area draws you in. The raspberry thorns then steer you into the stickers. In 10 paces you end up with hundreds of stickers that take 20 minutes to remove.
Several years ago I had a really nice cherry tree and a couple of apple trees, all really producing abundant fruit. Then my neighbors grandson was given a balck walnut sapling at school for Arbor Day, and they planted it in their back yard. I think my trees died within 2 or 3 years. I know there is at least one New England state where it is illegal to plant a walnut tree anywhere close to a white pine, because they have a big white pine lumber business.
02-16-2022, 06:10 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the win Ramseybuckeye, that's a great shot! I don't often get that lucky with the lighting here, especially when there's fog as well.
Kristian