Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
#571 Things Made of Wood
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 02-16-2022, 05:37 PM

Thanks to Kerrowdown for his wonderful Woodlands Challenge and for tasking me as this weeks host.

Last week we enjoyed some great Woodland Scenes, of course trees provide many uses besides beauty, there's shade, windbreaks, shelter, food, and on and on. Of course wood comes from a tree and can be made into a multitude of objects. So the photo need to include something made of wood, make it an interesting photo.

The challenge will close on Wednesday 23 February 2022 @ 24:00 GMT. Amateur judging will happen some time after that, as soon as I can get to it.

Simple Rules:

1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Here's a few of my attempts of wooden things:

Views: 1,843
02-16-2022, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Former Toll Gates (1870) from Murray River punt crossing for Victoria to New South Wales - back in the days of inter-colonial tariffs, etc.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-16-2022, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

shingle siding from a house
02-17-2022, 01:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

02-17-2022, 07:30 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

How about a barn?

Tim
02-17-2022, 01:30 PM - 3 Likes   #6

Taken in Memorial Park for the Battle of Jutland -
thought it would look more dramatic when using the very gray sky that it was this day as background,
think it turned out to be ok.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
02-17-2022, 07:38 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Paramount movie ranch, Agoura Hills CA.

02-17-2022, 08:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A simple wooden door
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by cg57; 02-17-2022 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Upload correct photo
02-18-2022, 06:44 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A log building.

This is a property owned by the school district, and used for field trips to get elementary school kids into some outdoors type stuff. I went there as a kid a couple times, and at least one of the trips was several nights stay in a cabin. Last fall I was able to go for a day trip with my daughter's class, and it was pretty awesome to go back and see the changes in the past many years. This is the old lodge that I don't think they use any more, but it was much more photogenic than the old one, being tucked into the trees more and having a more weathered look.
The kids had been studying maps and coordinates, so we did a search and rescue type excercise where we were given grid coordinates and had to find a specific spot. We were the first group back, and I think the only one that found both our missing hikers. Lots of fun, but challenging to keep a group of eight ten year olds together in the woods.
When I stayed there as a school kid there were outhouses, a hand water pump in a well shack, wood heat only, and no electricity. Now there is running water, real bathrooms, electricity, and propane heat.
Sorry for the essay, but thought I'd share some of the back story on the place.
Kristian
02-18-2022, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mining Creed, Colorado
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
02-18-2022, 04:17 PM - 4 Likes   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Outdoor Table

In the Summer...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-18-2022, 08:24 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The part of the world I live in was radically transformed in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century; wooden grain elevators were an integral component of that transformation. When the Canadian Pacific Railway was completed in 1885, the Canadian prairies were suddenly opened up to the world. The railroad made it possible to ship grain grown nowhere close to a navigable river and every 10 miles or so, grain elevators were erected next to a rail siding for easy loading of railcars.

Farmers established cooperatives to market their grain (the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool being such a farmer owned cooperative). Wagons (and eventually trucks) loaded with grain would drive up the ramp in the foreground, get weighed and dump their load into a hopper below. Elevators with buckets would move the grain into wooden storage bins high enough that a chute could then transfer their contents into railcars.

This particular grain elevator is located in the ghost town of Bents; the rails were removed a long time ago and without a railroad the elevator no longer operates and without a grain elevator the other businesses and public buildings in town have no reason to be there. Grain dust was a constant fire hazard for these wooden structures; on the treeless prairies a burning elevator could be seen from the next elevator on the rail line.

Last edited by RGlasel; 02-18-2022 at 08:30 PM.
02-20-2022, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jewelry Box
02-20-2022, 09:07 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There was a time when most things we used were made of wood as here at 'The Home Place', an 1850's working farm near Dover, TN. . . . back before we were buried in plastic.

THE HOMEPLACE | Land Between the Lakes Guide
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
02-21-2022, 11:34 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An ancient log carrier near Merbien Victoria.

An early attempt at stitching 3 x 4 images, using Microsoft's ICE program.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bruce Clark; 02-23-2022 at 03:06 AM. Reason: typo