Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge#572 - A l'il different
Posted By: pacerr, 02-27-2022, 03:27 PM

Something a little different this week. The challenge theme is to reveal the basis for your personal choice of a single image. The intent is to peek at the logic behind the 'submission-decision curtain'.

I believe any of us that participate here are capable of presenting worthy images and the themes have been broad enough to encompass some surprising interpretations. How each person interprets each challenge theme is as intriguing as the images themselves. I’d like to explore/reveal the rational behind the final submissions. Reasonably lengthy discussion is welcome.

YOU choose any weekly theme topic from the past 12 months that has memorably challenged you to pick a specific image among many possibilities.

Submit the TWO or THREE final images that you chose from for that entry and explain how/why you made the final choice. In some cases there may be subtle variations on the same theme; others may be a choice among totally different points of view.

Give the rational for your decision to select and submit that one single image.

The examples below are from the recent event #571 - Wood
The second two: certainly 'of wood' and both 'made'.
The fourth is a comparison of the same function (lock/latch) 'made from' metal and wood.
The first - an easy choice. Adds the human factor...even though I consider it the least 'good' image.

The challenge will close on Tuesday, 8 March, 2022 @ 24:00 GMT. Selection for the next challenge will happen ASAP.

Simple Rules: (some changes here to suit this theme)

1. Post two or three photos (max1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your pictures in this thread and explain what motivated you to select one of them for submission and why you feel it best represents the weekly theme.
4. The challenge is interactive. Anyone is welcome to participate.
5. The judge will pick someone to choose the next weekly challenge.
6. This submissions for this challenge run for 7 days.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to run the next challenge, the judge will coordinate an alternate.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Views: 1,068
03-10-2022, 05:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Well, my great-granny warned me about being too cerebral about photography. Only six people took the 'l'il different' challenge but I was impressed by the thought that went into to each explanation and learned from each.

I was surprised that five of the submissions were what I considered variations on a similar theme with the deciding factor also being my choice of the many excellent alternatives. [ Ramsey, Cindy, glinda, Yaki and Kerrow... ]

Noel offered the obvious topical differences with the red entries - three entirely different options. Each a tough choice representative of the task. Thanks again for the list.

glinda had the photo-journalistic challenge of trying to tell a story from a limited opportunity to capture a fleeting moment in time. Reminded me of combat photography where you have to play the cards you're dealt.

The rest dealt with tweaking one of a few images to best reflect their interpretation of the task and the logic and post-processing was enlightening.

In every case, I was pleased to see the also-ran images and the logic used in the final choice. No doubt it reflects the same rational used by others that didn't participate.

[ The difference between a pro and an amature is the size of the waste basket. ]

As I've said before, I consider this a challenge, not a contest, so everyone's a winner.

However, I'd like to see where Yaki takes us next so I'll pass the hammer to him.
Good choice , pacerr.

Yay Yaki !

03-10-2022, 05:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, my great-granny warned me about being too cerebral about photography. Only six people took the 'l'il different' challenge but I was impressed by the thought that went into to each explanation and learned from each.

I was surprised that five of the submissions were what I considered variations on a similar theme with the deciding factor also being my choice of the many excellent alternatives. [ Ramsey, Cindy, glinda, Yaki and Kerrow... ]

Noel offered the obvious topical differences with the red entries - three entirely different options. Each a tough choice representative of the task. Thanks again for the list.

glinda had the photo-journalistic challenge of trying to tell a story from a limited opportunity to capture a fleeting moment in time. Reminded me of combat photography where you have to play the cards you're dealt.

The rest dealt with tweaking one of a few images to best reflect their interpretation of the task and the logic and post-processing was enlightening.

In every case, I was pleased to see the also-ran images and the logic used in the final choice. No doubt it reflects the same rational used by others that didn't participate.

[ The difference between a pro and an amature is the size of the waste basket. ]

As I've said before, I consider this a challenge, not a contest, so everyone's a winner.

However, I'd like to see where Yaki takes us next so I'll pass the hammer to him.
Thanks pracrr for runnung Weekly Challenge #572 with something A l'il different. A good exercise and learning experience. Congrats to Yaki!
03-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow this is a surprise. All the participants did a great job and show magnificent photos, and I thought mine is the least worth of wining. Not to mention the language.
Thanks pacerr for not leaving me without a challenge!
03-11-2022, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Yaki, look forward to your challenge, as long as it does not include a difficult language Thanks Pacerr, as with others here, I like the challenge, and the learning curve.