Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
Project 52-10-31: Triptychs
Posted By: djb47, 04-08-2022, 05:31 AM

Triptych photography is a great way of showcasing multiple photos or even adding a creative touch to a singular photo. A triptych is a set of images spread across three separate panels displayed side-by-side. They have been present in art for thousands of years. And, in modern photography, it’s one of the most popular ways to display multiple images. Connecting your triptych by a simple theme can be a great way of combining separate images.

Photos for Project 52-10-31 are to be taken and posted between Apr 8 - Apr 14.

Rules:
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested is eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-10 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture or how it represents the weekly theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non
Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, etc. But no phones, please.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
Views: 659
04-09-2022, 08:02 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Our flowers currently in bloom: hellebore, azalea (almost), and phlox

04-09-2022, 04:55 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I took these photos this morning, not really thinking about a triptych, but remembering it later I thought this to be a good subject. The three photos were taken within 8 minutes of each other during morning twilight, the last a good 15 minutes before sunrise. Light changes quickly during twilight, but the Eastern sky was very heavily covered with clouds this morning, so it was darker than usual. All were shot at F8, with shutter speeds left to right: 1 sec, 4 sec, 5 sec. Maybe I'll add a frame to this
Name:  Triptych.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  101.8 KB
04-12-2022, 12:45 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The changing of the light

04-13-2022, 02:56 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I understood correctly the challenge it requires three steps of realization.

Idea project - I decided to represent the space in a well known to me garden by photographing the line of benches by two opposite direction in portrait orientation and the view in the middle in landscape orientation for a center of the composition.
Photographing the object - last morning I choose the exact angles and took photos to catch the light from different directions.
Postprocessing - When I started arranging the photos for the triptych I imagined that they would be printed and displayed on a wall and decided that the space would be better represented if the photos are cut at an angle.
And this is the result

3ptihtript

Last edited by Yaki; 04-13-2022 at 12:34 PM.
04-13-2022, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"Take me some place nice"

Name:  somewhere_nice.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  504.2 KB

K-5 / 18-55 WR. All images JPG and SOOC.

We got out for a little day trip this past weekend, first time in over two years we've done so, in fact. I shot a lot of images but have a fetish for shooting from the passenger seat while the car is moving. When judged alone, all of these images have technical problems - blurry, blown out sky, and a strange tight crop, almost looking like an accidental snap. When considered together they weave a bit of narrative about our outing. The jpg colors came out surprisingly vibrant, too! I believe I have jpg mode set to the color positive reversal film preset.

Last edited by IsaacReaves; 04-14-2022 at 01:01 AM.
04-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote

Idea project - I decided to represent the space in a well known to me garden by photographing the line of benches by two opposite direction in portrait orientation and the view in the middle in landscape orientation for a center of the composition.
Photographing the object - last morning I coos the exact angles and took photos to catch the light from different directions.
Postprocessing - When I started arranging the photos for the triptych I imagined that they would be printed and displayed on a wall and decided that the space would be better represented if the photos are cut at an angle.
And this is the result

3ptihtript
Very cool!

04-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote

Photographing the object - last morning I choose the exact angles and took photos to catch the light from different directions.
And this is the result
I really like that angled frame
04-14-2022, 03:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Very cool!
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I really like that angled frame
Thank you for the positive feedback
04-15-2022, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This project is now closed.

Thank you to all that participated.
04-16-2022, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Time to judge the triptycs. Sorry, I am not as eloquent as DeepSchwartz was.

Tom -- a nice set of sunrise images. Great reflections and repeating patterns.

Noel -- one subject, three different lights, cool. I like it.

Yaki -- another nice series of images. The triptych has balance and a unique angular presentation.

DeepSchwartz -- these images work well together and relate the trip narrative well. Springs are really green in Bretagne. Welcome aboard and we look forward to your participation in the projects.

This week the nod goes to Yaki. Really like the way you framed this triptych. Well done.
04-16-2022, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
Time to judge the triptycs. Sorry, I am not as eloquent as DeepSchwartz was.

Tom -- a nice set of sunrise images. Great reflections and repeating patterns.

Noel -- one subject, three different lights, cool. I like it.

Yaki -- another nice series of images. The triptych has balance and a unique angular presentation.

DeepSchwartz -- these images work well together and relate the trip narrative well. Springs are really green in Bretagne. Welcome aboard and we look forward to your participation in the projects.

This week the nod goes to Yaki. Really like the way you framed this triptych. Well done.
Thank you djb47 for choosing my work. It was interesting and other partisipants offered nice pictures too.
Lets see what the next week will bring
04-16-2022, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Congrats, Yaki for a well deserved win. I really like how you put that together and that the angles on the benches are mirrored by the framing and focused on the sculpture. Brilliant!
04-16-2022, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Yaki, had little doubt that 1 would win- very interesting take on the technique.