Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #586 - It's Music to My Ears -- Winners!
Posted By: jheu02, 08-07-2022, 08:30 PM

A bit tired after my travels, but didn't want to drag out the judging, so here's a go at it. Thanks to all who entered and I enjoyed seeing all the interpretations. I'll keep the comments brief, but hopefully meaningful.

atupdate - Live music is always great. Main subject and rest all in good focus, but it's a shame that the rhythm guitarist looks indifferent, and the drummer's face is hidden.

Vaskebjorn - At first I found the background distracting, almost as if jpeg artifacts, but I love the joy shown on the faces of the musicians...really loving what they're doing.

gump - Classic still life. Would like to have seen the flutes filled and bubbles playing with the light. Hard to time, but....

Kerrowdown - I really like the treatment in monochrome with the (basically) white background, though not sure if the wearer is just a concert goer, or a roadie.

SpecialK - Day of the Dead celebration? Interesting group, though to my eyes the lead's face is a bit out of focus (tough to nail as I well know), but just a little distracting for me.

aT0Mx - Similar thought about the face. Like the lighting and composition though. Perhaps try it as a monochrome with the high contrast it should give during conversion. I find I can "forgive" slight OOF when monochrome, moreso than color.

Yaki - Great expression on the leftmost musician's face. reminds me a little of a young David Gilmour. Good exposure control under stage lights, and the intimate feel of a small club.

noelcmn - The broken (missing) string says it all... a well used friend. I like the light and shadow play.

Si1maron - Good color contrast of the blue against brown/ I think this would have worked better actually being worn by someone.

Hattifnatt - though the dj's face is out of focus, this shot is all about the feeling of the music. And thus you are this week's winner. Monochrome is how I would present this too (reference the comment for aT0Mx)

ramseybuckeye - Wish you could have been inside the store for the shot. Some of the reflections from the glass just distract me a little too much

Winner - HattifNatt Keep the party rolling for this week!

2nd Place - Vaskebjorn The faces did it for me.

3rd Place - gump How was the bubbly?

Views: 526
08-08-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Hattifnatt, fabulous action shot! And extended to Vaskebjorn ( and the faces did it for me too- lovely and sharp) and Gump. Thanks jheu02 for the challenge and the judging exercise. Nice one!
08-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Congrats Hattifnatt! When I saw this picture I tough "This is it. Great expression ! Thanks jheu02 for the challenge!
08-08-2022, 07:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The winner of this definitely deserves it and the focus is on the hand and the vinyl and that's just one of the reasons why I really like it.
*Enough "ands"?

08-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Hattifnatt. Thanks for this great challenge John and also thanks for the second place. The background is a bit odd indeed, but it was a piece of grayish black fabric that was less joyful than the artists. They made up for ot though.
08-08-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
The background is a bit odd indeed, but it was a piece of grayish black fabric
That's what I figured, but it had an odd quality due to the slightly oof nature of the shot which reminded me of jpeg artifacts.
08-10-2022, 09:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

HattifNatt, please anaunse the next challenge 🙏

08-12-2022, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just sent a PM, if no response by later today, the torch will pass to Vaskebjorn. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier.
08-12-2022, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I heard back from Hattifnatt that he will be unable to host. So, the challenge will hopefully pass to Vaskebjorn. I have sent him a message, so hopefully this will be taken care of soon. gump, please think up something also if it needs to pass to you. Thanks.
08-12-2022, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
OK, I heard back from Hattifnatt that he will be unable to host. So, the challenge will hopefully pass to Vaskebjorn. I have sent him a message, so hopefully this will be taken care of soon. gump, please think up something also if it needs to pass to you. Thanks.
Hi John and all participants, obviously i will accept this challenge to host this weeks challenge. Give me a bit of time to come up with a nice subject. I already have an idea, but i will have to exclude the other lingering ideas.

Richard

---------- Post added 08-12-22 at 09:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Hi John and all participants, obviously i will accept this challenge to host this weeks challenge. Give me a bit of time to come up with a nice subject. I already have an idea, but i will have to exclude the other lingering ideas.

Richard
I was quick, the new challenge is up.

Last edited by Vaskebjorn; 08-12-2022 at 12:18 PM.
08-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to the winners! This was a fun challenge, it is cool to see the different ways to show music, and of course, som great photos.