Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
#587 - “Cool” - Winners
Posted By: Vaskebjorn, 08-20-2022, 04:49 AM

Thanks everyone dor participating in this weeks challenge. The photo’s were so cool that the temperature went actually down here in the Netherlands. It even rained a bit due to all the water. The judging was not an easy one as I was hung up between the numbers 1 and 2, but I made up my mind in the end. It could have been easily the other way around though.

Yaki - great photo of this waterway. It looks very minimalistic, but is full of details. I like the reflections and also the 2 starbursts in there. I counted 18 rays and the 77mm only has 9 blades, how did you get so many (or am I wrong with my idea about technology here)

Jheu02 - a nice cool stream where you can imagine yourself sitting on a rock with your feet in the water to cool down a bit. I like long exposure shots when they are done well and you hit the nail on the head with this one.

Ramseybuckeye - this photo reminds me a lot of the beach outside the house we had in Tunisia. At night it was relatively cool and during the day scorching hot in the summer. And you can indeed get some cool colors when you go out on the “non-standard” hours of the day. Great minimalistic photo.

Atupdate - your hippo seems to enjoy the sunbathing while keeping its feet cool. I like hippos, from a respectable distance that is, and especially the mini ones. You also went way back in your archive for this one it seems. I had to take a couple of back and forths to Flickr to see the detail as I was questioning my eyes about the resolution. But zooming in on this one and the closeup photo that is next, there seems nothing to be wrong with it.

Noelcm - assuming this is the ocean i would assume the water would be reasonably cool. As long as you don’t do anything you might be cool yourself to, although the wetsuit probably doesn’t help. Your subject seems to be totally relaxed on her board, so i guess she is “cool” enough. Great shot.

Doch22019 - seas tend to be “cool” indeed as they normaly are reasonably big and therefore don’t warm to much (relatively speaking obviously). Also Nova Scotia i not really in the south. Love your shot, you got the little wave nice and crisp showing the greenish transparency of the water really good.

Kerrowdown - i’ll give you a pass on this one . As the title states it is rioja and that should be served at room temperature, but cooled is possible and also just relaxing and enjoying a nice glass is also refreshing. The glass itself is extremely “cool” though. I would have bought that without even hesitating. Best would be a whiskey glass with Nessie in it. I love the shallow DOF in this photo a lot. Shooting at f2 thends to do that obviously, but this one hits the nail on the proverbial head. I also like the rings at the bottom of the photo, I suppose it’s a table, but if you would say its water I might be inclined to believe you.

Aaacb - if you would have said the photo was taken in the 70s or 80s i would have believed you. Great nostalgic photo. I really like the candid feel of this one and obviously keeping your feet cool keeps your whole body cool.

Morton - you really had to dig deep I see. 2007 is when i would still qualify myself as “somewhat young”. Good photo of a kid riding the waves, although I do not see a board. I like the minimalistic feel of it, but it still has a lot of detail. This playing in de sea, or ocean probably in this case, is always cool fun and especially in summer.

1st - Yaki
2nd - Jheu02
3rd - Doch22019

HM - Kerrowdown for including Nessie which is always a bonus
HM - Aaacb for still using film
HM - Morton for going that far back in history

Views: 626
08-20-2022, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to Yaki and all! Excellent challenge, Richard.
08-20-2022, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

thanks for the hm, nice challenge!
08-20-2022, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
HM - Kerrowdown for including Nessie which is always a bonus
Thanks for my HM.

08-21-2022, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Yaki, cool shot, those blue tones are magical! And congrats extended to Jheu02 and Doch22019, not forgetting the HM's Kerrowdown, Aaacb and Morton. And thanks are due to our host and judge Vaskebjorn. Lovely challenge!
08-21-2022, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Yaki - great photo of this waterway. It looks very minimalistic, but is full of details. I like the reflections and also the 2 starbursts in there. I counted 18 rays and the 77mm only has 9 blades, how did you get so many (or am I wrong with my idea about technology here)
Thanks for choosing my photo to win this challenge upon other great photos Richard! Thanks for the cool challenge too
On the question - The number of rays in a starburst depends on whether the angles between the blades are an even or odd number. when they are an even number - the number of rays is equal to the number of angles. When they are an odd number, the number of rays is the number of angles multiplied by two. This is because the diffraction of light from the corners produces two lines of light in opposite directions, and when the number of corners is even the two opposite rays overlap, and when it is odd each ray is outlined independently in the picture. And speaking of starburst ... ...
08-21-2022, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As it seems, you are never to old to learn something. I just assumed, blades=rays and never questioned it. And apparently with all my photoit turns out exactly that way. Guess i must have even bladed lenses
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
Thanks for choosing my photo to win this challenge upon other great photos Richard! Thanks for the cool challenge too
On the question - The number of rays in a starburst depends on whether the angles between the blades are an even or odd number. when they are an even number - the number of rays is equal to the number of angles. When they are an odd number, the number of rays is the number of angles multiplied by two. This is because the diffraction of light from the corners produces two lines of light in opposite directions, and when the number of corners is even the two opposite rays overlap, and when it is odd each ray is outlined independently in the picture. And speaking of starburst ... ...