Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #594 - Break the Rules - Winners
Posted By: hcarvalhoalves, 11-16-2022, 12:24 PM

Thank you for all who participated and submitted your work to contest #594! I hope you enjoyed the theme.

Considering what best fit the theme, here are my top 3 choices:

#1 - Hattifnatt

I believe this fits the theme since it works both as a portrait and a landscape shot. Most portraits are taken w/ extreme DoF, but this was taken w/ a wide angle. Although there's some blur, the landscape can be seen. The composition and lightning also work. It's unusual, but everything fits together for a great shot.

#2 - jchorst

Good composition with the unusual angle and sidewalk framing. The shutter causing some motion blur on the walking person give some dynamism to what would otherwise be a static shot.

#3 - jacamar

I like the use of telephoto here to zoom-in on the subject, which is not the landscape, but the streak of light. Colours are beautiful, I think this would've been my #1 if it had stronger composition – it's a bit busy and lacks a focal point, maybe in portrait, framing only one tree and not cutting the canopy would've worked better to me.
Views: 347
11-16-2022, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks hcarvalhoalves. The shot was taken with the k-3iii and the 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited, during a workshop with Freeman Patterson (who wrote the book on breaking the rules) in New Brunswick. It would have been a good idea to have cropped around one of the brighter areas, but I was a bit hesitant that that might have been too much - so I just left it as an overall "mood" image with a bit of "Where the Wild things Are" to it. I suppose lack of subject was one of the rules broken. Again, thanks for giving it the nod.
11-17-2022, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats all, three great photos!
11-17-2022, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winner(s) and thanks to hcarvalhoalves for the great challenge.

11-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks hcarvalhoalves for an intriguing contest, and for selecting my photo as runner-up. Congrats to the other winners, great shots!
11-20-2022, 04:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New contest is up.

Last edited by jchorst; 11-20-2022 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Quote deleted.