Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
#597 "Long Exposure" sometimes aka "Fine Art"
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 12-08-2022, 03:40 PM

Welcome to this Weekly Challenge #597.

Vaskebjorn asked me to crack on with this weeks challenge, as both Mariwalt and MikharPF are unable to host.

This week the theme is "Long Exposure" and just to define that... for the sake of clarity, shall we say that the image must have a shutter speed of at least a minute or longer.

The image can be either colour or monochrome and the photo subject is of your choice. So get all those ND filters/welding masks out of the bag, dusted down and put into play, together with any other techniques that can achieve this exposure time.

The fine print:

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

This challenge will run until Friday 16th December 2022 and closes @ 20:00 GMT.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 1,316
12-09-2022, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I don't have ND filters or similar gadgets so I used the good old natural darkness.
2022-12-09_07-38-49
70.8 seconds exposure iso 100 and F22
12-09-2022, 01:44 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
Well I don't have ND filters or similar gadgets so I used the good old natural darkness. 70.8 seconds exposure iso 100 and F22
Good for you... that'll be covered by my statement "together with any other techniques that can achieve this exposure time"
12-11-2022, 02:44 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
A Wee Bump For The Challenge

Looks like this challenge is not a big hit then...

Judging looks like it might be an easy task this week.

12-11-2022, 04:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hang in there, some of us are exploring our vast collection. Maybe, just maybe, I'll find one!
12-11-2022, 05:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My longest exposure is (i thought) about 30 seconds. And I can unfortunately not even find that one. I know exactly what’s on it and where it’s taken (even within a meter) but finding it in my little collection of photo’s proofed a bit more “challenging”. But it wouldn’t qualify either, so i am sorry, no entry from me.
I found it and it was only 1 second but handheld. I also found another one i forgot about which had 6 seconds and is completely unremarkable.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Looks like this challenge is not a big hit then...

Judging looks like it might be an easy task this week.

Last edited by Vaskebjorn; 12-11-2022 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Additional text
12-11-2022, 05:43 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Hang in there, some of us are exploring our vast collection. Maybe, just maybe, I'll find one!
That's great news... I thought I may have made things a tad too difficult this time.

12-11-2022, 05:44 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
My lingest exposure is (i thought) about 30 seconds. And I can unfortunately not even find that one. I know exactly what’s on it and where it’s taken (even within a meter) but finding it in my little collection of photo’s proofed a bit more “challenging”. But it wouldn’t qualify either, so i am sorry, no entry from me.
You could always go out a take one just especially for this today... please.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-11-2022 at 08:03 AM.
12-12-2022, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do have an ND filter, but it's not dark enough that I've taken any shots over a minute in daylight with it, so my long exposure photos were all taken at night.
Does a multiple exposure count? This one of the milky way is 25 shots of 15 seconds each, then combined in a program to avoid streaking of the stars. I guess technically it's 75 shots, because it's a 3 shot panorama as well. The red lights on the horizon are the glow from forest fires around the area last summer.

If not, then this one should be acceptable, it's a single 80 second exposure.

Kristian

Last edited by turbo_bird; 12-12-2022 at 01:18 PM.
12-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You could always go out a take one just especially for this today... please.
The fight has reached a new level. This is a tough competition for many Pentaxians. My first Pentax K200D with SR helped me get rid of my tripod. 1/4s + ISO 80 can add variety to a photo walk. I found in the archive only 0.8 s. To increase the number of participants, you can change the shutter speed to 0.5 seconds, but handheld.
12-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikharPF Quote
To increase the number of participants, you can change the shutter speed to 0.5 seconds, but handheld.
I agree. I have nothing even close to 1 minute exposure time. Sorry but I'm out for this challenge.

Tim
12-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am somewhat in the same “boat”. I am not really a tripod user. I make use of my arms or the floor or something like that, although since some time the floor is getting difficult as I need a set of wheels to get around (further then 25 meters back and forth bringing my hikes to 50 meters total. My wheels give me a way bigger range so more photography opportunities, but still no tripod.

I checked my latest composite and funny enough that is not even long enough . It is a 21 shot stack of the moon of today during the day. The base photos were 1/640th though so combined you end up on something like a 1/30th of a second.

Problems problems or as some people say challenges challenges .

The fight has reached a new level. This is a tough competition for many Pentaxians. My first Pentax K200D with SR helped me get rid of my tripod. 1/4s + ISO 80 can add variety to a photo walk. I found in the archive only 0.8 s. To increase the number of participants, you can change the shutter speed to 0.5 seconds, but handheld.

Last edited by Vaskebjorn; 12-13-2022 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added a comment
12-13-2022, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't have a photo with such long exposure time and dsied to take a new one and didn't have a tripod when I was out to take it so I simply chose a place on the ground to put the camera and used the timer of my GSM to count over 60 seconds. It was kind of project 52 experience.
12-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #14

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-exposure_photograph

"While there is no fixed definition of what constitutes "long", the intent is to create a photo that somehow shows the effect of passing time, be it smoother waters or light trails. A 30-minute photo of a static object and surrounding cannot be distinguished from a short exposure; hence, the inclusion of motion is the main factor to add intrigue to long exposure photos."
12-13-2022, 10:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-exposure_photograph

"While there is no fixed definition of what constitutes "long", the intent is to create a photo that somehow shows the effect of passing time, be it smoother waters or light trails. A 30-minute photo of a static object and surrounding cannot be distinguished from a short exposure; hence, the inclusion of motion is the main factor to add intrigue to long exposure photos."
I Didn`t know that but lucky me I have trails from car lights in the left corner so technically it should count,