Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly challenge #598 - Motion Blur
Posted By: turbo_bird, 12-17-2022, 03:06 AM

Thanks to Kerrowdown for the last challenge, picking my photo as the winner. There seemed to be a fair bit of interest but a lack of photos meeting the 1 minute requirement, so I thought this week maybe a theme of motion blur would be fun. Whether it's a long exposure of something moving slowly, or a shorter exposure of something fast, let's see some movement.

The fine print:

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

This challenge will run until Friday 23rd December 2022 and closes @ 20:00 GMT.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Kristian

Last edited by turbo_bird; 12-17-2022 at 03:19 AM.
Views: 721
12-17-2022, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Backstage

Tim
12-17-2022, 06:00 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For now I am going with this one as it was one of the hardest on my wishlist.
This hoverfly photo was taken with the Irix 150mm f2.8 macro which is manual and these little insects are not really slow.

12-17-2022, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is my favorite motion blur photo that I've taken. I was standing on a boardwalk/bridge thing at the park and a hawk (coopers or red tail I think) tried to take a goose and failed, then landed a few feet away from me on the railing for about 15 or 20 seconds. I had time to adjust focus (manual focus lens) but not to change out of the manual settings I had been using to take pictures of the water. This was taken just as he took off again.

12-17-2022, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've reduced the exposure in this photo in post by 3 stops, the original 20 second exposure is much overexposed, but I was trying to take ghost pictures of people in motion and this young woman had paused at an intersection. For people walking at a steady pace, the best results were under 5 seconds, but in those shots the light trails are non-existent, the people are less distinct and there is little motion blur in the foliage in the foreground. Anyway, something different.

12-17-2022, 03:58 PM - 3 Likes   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The Tumble Dryer

Tends to work better... if you've actually got out of the water first.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-18-2022, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #7

Fleeting vision

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
12-19-2022, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mud Track

Here's one of mine. Cheers, Christoph
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
12-20-2022, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

12-20-2022, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another bird shot...

[/url]
12-24-2022, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I guess that's it for this week, an interesting variety of photos.
Atupdate, very interesting perspective, and the person walking across the stage gives a great sense of scale to it.
Vaskebjorn, good job focusing on the fly, I've tried a few times on dragonflies and such, and it's definitely not easy. The framing and subject isolation is great too.
NatureHike, interesting shot of the hawk, there and gone in the blink of an eye.
RGlasel, nice street scene and ghost image of the pedestrian. One of the few things I like about cities, nightime photography with all the lights and movement.
Kerrowdown, good shot of the dog. I really like how the nose is relatively sharp and the rest of the head just sort of swirls around it.
MikharPF, nice shot of some bicyclists. Definitely shows movement, and kind of makes me wonder what they're looking at, looks like they're paying attention to something other than the road directly ahead.
Jchorst, great shot of the dirtbiker. Really gives a sense of speed, and good job keeping the bike and rider sharp while panning. I especially like the way the water is spraying up, and then deflected down by his boots.
Noelcmn, I like the way the wing is obviously there, but you still get a sharp view of the rock behind it.
Jheu02, another nice bird shot, looks like he's leaving the feeder with a tasty treat?
Not easy to pick a winner, but I think I'm going to give that to jchorst with the dirtbike shot. Honourable mentions to Kerrowdown and atupdate as well.

Thanks to everyone for sharing some great photos this week, and merry Christmas to everyone.
Kristian
12-24-2022, 04:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks for hosting Kristian and for commenting on the entries. And congratulations to Christoph for his great panning image. Looking forward to the next challenge.

Tim
12-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Kristian for a great challenge, and for awarding me first place. Congrats to the HMs, great pictures! I will come up with a new challenge asap, but as it's that time of the year, you may have to wait until Boxing Day. Merry Christmas everyone!
12-25-2022, 08:02 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
looks like he's leaving the feeder with a tasty treat?
Actually, that's the mom cleaning poo out of the nest, so not quite a tasty treat. great subject and nice comments. congrats to all.
12-26-2022, 04:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New challange is up!