Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Challenge #600 - Shadow as subject
Posted By: Fdooch, 01-06-2023, 05:26 AM

Hello everyone My topic this week is "Shadow as a subject."
This means when the shadow is significant for the telling of your story or the absence of a shadow is impossible for the composition.

The fine print:

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

This challenge will run until January 14, 2023. It closes at 24.00h, whatever time zone you're

Rules:
1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Example: The picture shows the monument "Worker and collective farmer". It was made for the international exhibition in Paris in 1937. After the end of the exhibition, it was transported to Moscow. I photographed it right after the 6-year restoration and the shadow from the spotlights lay on the low clouds.

Views: 1,515
01-09-2023, 05:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Fdooch.
If you wish, you can send me your explanation of the idea you have about this challenge on a personal message and will try to assist you in better definition. If I understood your problem right. I think I understand Russian well enough to help you although I didn't practiced it more than 20 years.

01-09-2023, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
See, I interpret "shadow is significant" as the shadow is the subject but the object making the shadow can be included. Sometimes the shadow is what makes the image interesting.

Tim
Aye... that's the way I read it and understanding too.
01-09-2023, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RE: Fdooch
Your English is obviously not a problem. The understanding of art in 21st century I so free that almost any interpretation of the topick can be acceptable. And this is the beauty of art which photography definitely is. That's why I would suggest you to take your own advise and not taking to heart those interpretations which don't Mach your own vision but rather enjoy what you really like. And as a judge this week you can take advantage to show your point of view and choose a winner accordingly 😉

Last edited by Yaki; 01-09-2023 at 08:39 AM.
01-09-2023, 02:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
See, I interpret "shadow is significant" as the shadow is the subject but the object making the shadow can be included. Sometimes the shadow is what makes the image interesting.

Tim
I'm of a similar thought here since the sample picture has a prominent item in the foreground (statue) which is casting the shadow in the low clouds. If ONLY the shadow should be represented, then the sample pic needs to have the statue cropped out of the frame. But I don't think that's the intent. But, I don't take "shadow is significant" to mean it has to dominate the frame physically, but that it has to contribute in some meaningful way to make the picture something truly unique, since many photos have shadows in them. Or at least that's how I understood the challenge.

Last edited by jheu02; 01-09-2023 at 02:53 PM.
01-09-2023, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like trying to use light and shadow to highlight textures in photos, but it's not often that I take a photo just because of the shadow. This is one of those rare shots, so I'll post it here. The late afternoon sun shining through the apple tree in my front yard in the spring.

Kristian
01-09-2023, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trunkless Legs

I have this to offer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
01-11-2023, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The shadows of the metal gate. The bump in the middle is the lock.

01-14-2023, 10:39 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Perhaps it's time to take stock.
I started a discussion about the interpretation of the task topic not in order to hurt someone's feelings, but in order to determine the coordinate system.
Everything has a shadow and in almost any light. So I was waiting for a little more than her presence.
And I was very pleased with the work of those authors who caught the difference.
Chris_K - excellent graphics. Would I be allowed to suggest correcting the perspective of the horizontal lines a little? It seems to me that the photo will only benefit from this. I also became your fan on flickr.
Yaki - according to beliefs, angels are disembodied spirits. And intangible objects do not cast shadows. ) The light is amazing. Creamy.
gump - your photo makes us look for associations.
noelcmn - zebras are jealous of your photo)
Kerrowdown - It would be cool to have a little more space above your head, but you are the WINNER.
01-14-2023, 12:51 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
Chris_K - excellent graphics. Would I be allowed to suggest correcting the perspective of the horizontal lines a little? It seems to me that the photo will only benefit from this. I also became your fan on flickr.
Thank you for your kind words and suggestion. Quite often I hesitate whether to straighten the lines up or not; I don't want the scene to become too "clinical". But I accept your point and this particular picture would probably benefit from it.

Also, thank you for your effort as the judge.
Congrats to @Kerrowdown - well deserved. I thought a big "wow" when I saw this submission
01-14-2023, 01:09 PM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Kerrowdown - It would be cool to have a little more space above your head, but you are the WINNER.
Thank you for your choice as winner, I'll come up with something shortly.

BTW... I did have both more both top and bottom, but didn't think it worked as well
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-14-2023 at 02:27 PM.
01-14-2023, 02:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps it's time to take stock.
Great choice Fdooch and thanks for the comment.
Congratulations Kerrowdown I would choose this photo too.
01-16-2023, 12:36 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Thank you for your choice as winner, I'll come up with something shortly.

BTW... I did have both more both top and bottom, but didn't think it worked as well
Congrats, it's a great shot either way, but I think I like the version without the head cut off better. I think it could even work as a nearly square crop with most of the right side of the frame gone. That puts the light in the top right and the shadows in the bottom left, with nothing really extra in the shot.
Kristian
01-20-2023, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Kerrowdown, I like either version, but I also prefer the uncropped, just a bit.