Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-11-20-COMPOSITION TECHNIQUES-Rule of odds
Posted By: noelcmn, 01-23-2023, 04:16 AM

Welcome to the 11th Edition of Project 52, which I will be hosting for the year. Thanks to djb47 for hosting Project 52-10.
Let's get some Motivation
I have participated in a few Project 52 kind of thing and there are plenty out there. One of the many aspects that have come to the fore is the value of participating, one of them being how much you learn-about technique, out of the box thinking, getting to know your camera's potential and a host of other values. WHY NOT JOIN THE PROJECT! Besides some discipline, there is not much else required except if you are chosen the winner, in which case you judge the next weeks challenge.

Themes covered will include but not limited to:
Colour
Architecture
DOF
Focus
Exposure
Landscape
Lighting
Perspective
Shutter
Subject- Multi-subject challenge
People
Ideas
Shapes
Home
Animals
Seasonal
Leisure

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-11 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera. And we will include images taken with phones as well.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current week's
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries i.e. a day earlier or a day late. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT
PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE. TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE
TO THE TIME FRAME. SOME FLEXIBILITY IS ALLOWED (after all life comes before photography) FOR OUT OF DATE/LATE SUBMISSIONS.
8. Additional images are welcome, but please keep them to a minimum. If more than one image is posted, make sure you identify your entry for the challenge.
Additional images should also please comply with rule 1 and rule 7.
9. Any picture taken from thread start date
By default, attached photos will be shown below your message
Click on the button below to upload
to listed closing date is acceptable.
10. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-11 and may not participate in the challenge.
11. The host/facilitator (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

Continuing the sub-theme of Compositional Techniques, this week we are in the business of being at odds Simply put, it is using an odd number of subjects/objects in your composition, to increase interest and get the viewer to explore an image for longer, for comparisons and to satisfy the psychology of the brain that is somehow wired to pair things, using even numbers. Advertisers use it copiously. For this challenge, 1 is not considered an odd number, please avoid a composition that has only one subject/object. 3 and 5 are the most poular, but any odd number is suitable here.

The usual help here:https://thelenslounge.com/composition-tips-rule-of-odds/

And here: https://www.photography-raw.com/rule-of-odds-photography/

Nice examples here:https://photzy.com/what-is-the-rule-of-odds-and-why-does-it-work/

An example from my collection, though I am not sure these meet with all the expectations mentioned in the abover articles .

THIS CHALLENGE WILL RUN FROM MONDAY 23 JANUARY - SUNDAY 29 JANUARY 2023 AND CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT IN YOUR TIME ZONE.

Read more at: PROJECT 52-11-19-COMPOSITION TECHNIQUES-Using Geometric shapes - PentaxForums.com
Views: 776
01-23-2023, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll get this challenge out of the way early this week -- three dirty push buttons and five led lights on a PC board.

K100D/Sigma 28-80 Macro
01-23-2023, 12:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
and five led lights on a PC board
There are 4 lights.
01-23-2023, 01:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
There are 4 lights.
Two reds, two greens and one yellow.

01-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two reds, two greens and one yellow.
My comment was in reference to a Star Trek Next Generation episode where the most iconic line is "there are 4 lights".
01-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
My comment was in reference to a Star Trek Next Generation episode where the most iconic line is "there are 4 lights".
Sorry, I missed most of that series.
01-25-2023, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I couldn't find anything both photogenic and in odd numbers, so I attempted to create my own.

Pentax K-1 mII Limited Silver and K30f2.8 with Godox TT350 fired three times in triple exposure at f5.6, 1/180s, and ISO 400

01-26-2023, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Golden odds - black evens

01-30-2023, 02:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
Golden odds - black evens
And one more from Friday with people (musicians from DVD ACCOUSTIC band. DVD here is an abbreviation of the musicians' first names ) .
Attached Images

Last edited by Yaki; 01-30-2023 at 08:47 AM.
01-30-2023, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A quick entry before I close this challenge, and hopefult he Judge will accept my old-age-induced-forgetfulness, last night.
01-30-2023, 08:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Challenge closed, and now we wait for djb47 to do the Judging exercise for us.

The next installment of Project 52-11 is up and running.: Project 52-11-21- composition techniques - break the pattern/odd one out - PentaxForums.com
01-30-2023, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to judge and everyone makes it to the podium.

The Gold goes to jcdoss -- well done, interesting composite image. Hard to be pets and babies.
The Silver goes to Yaki (1st image) -- sharp crisp image of odds -- and evens. Your second submission is more interesting to me, great colors, but you can only have one and I went with your first one.
The Bronze goes to noelcmn -- good capture. Those lapwings are neat looking birds. Like them in b&w also.
01-30-2023, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks Don, and congrats to everyone. See you all in the next installment.
01-30-2023, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to judge and everyone makes it to the podium.

The Gold goes to jcdoss -- well done, interesting composite image. Hard to be pets and babies.
The Silver goes to Yaki (1st image) -- sharp crisp image of odds -- and evens. Your second submission is more interesting to me, great colors, but you can only have one and I went with your first one.
The Bronze goes to noelcmn -- good capture. Those lapwings are neat looking birds. Like them in b&w also.
Thank you for the judging and sharing your opinion Don. jcdoss picture is very interesting and well done and for me it was the wining one from the moment I sow it
Thanks for another interesting challenge Noel.
01-31-2023, 01:27 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah quite agree, that composite image is very interesting and unique. Congrats jcdoss. And also to Yaki. Thanks Don for the judging exercise.