Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-11-22- CAMERA AND LENS CONTROL-Use a Prime lens
Posted By: noelcmn, 02-06-2023, 06:33 AM

PROJECT 52-11-20-COMPOSITION TECHNIQUES-Rule of oddsReport Post
Posted By: noelcmn, 23-01-23, 05:16 (Online)
Welcome to the 11th Edition of Project 52, which I will be hosting for the year. Thanks to djb47 for hosting Project 52-10.
Let's get some Motivation
I have participated in a few Project 52 kind of thing and there are plenty out there. One of the many aspects that have come to the fore is the value of participating, one of them being how much you learn-about technique, out of the box thinking, getting to know your camera's potential and a host of other values. WHY NOT JOIN THE PROJECT! Besides some discipline, there is not much else required except if you are chosen the winner, in which case you judge the next weeks challenge.

Themes covered will include but not limited to:
Colour
Architecture
DOF
Focus
Exposure
Landscape
Lighting
Perspective
Shutter
Subject- Multi-subject challenge
People
Ideas
Shapes
Home
Animals
Seasonal
Leisure

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-11 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera. And we will include images taken with phones as well.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current week's
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries i.e. a day earlier or a day late. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT
PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE. TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE
TO THE TIME FRAME. SOME FLEXIBILITY IS ALLOWED (after all life comes before photography) FOR OUT OF DATE/LATE SUBMISSIONS.
8. Additional images are welcome, but please keep them to a minimum. If more than one image is posted, make sure you identify your entry for the challenge.
Additional images should also please comply with rule 1 and rule 7.
9. Any picture taken from thread start date
By default, attached photos will be shown below your message
Click on the button below to upload
to listed closing date is acceptable.
10. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-11 and may not participate in the challenge.
11. The host/facilitator (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

Continuing the sub-theme of Compositional Techniques, this week we are in the business of being at odds Simply put, it is using an odd number of subjects/objects in your composition, to increase interest and get the viewer to explore an image for longer, for comparisons and to satisfy the psychology of the brain that is somehow wired to pair things, using even numbers. Advertisers use it copiously. For this challenge, 1 is not considered an odd number, please avoid a composition that has only one subject/object. 3 and 5 are the most poular, but any odd number is suitable here.

We make our way to the heart of photography, controlling the image with the Camera and the lens. When they work in perfect partnership, photographera are happy. Get it wrong and a host of mishaps come along, including over/under exposure. For this weeks challenge, we are going with a prime lens photography. If you do not have one, then choose a focal length under 85mm and try and get as close to that as possible with a zoom lens.

Lots of help on the net: Prime Lenses: Everything You Need to Know

Shooting with prime lenses - Photo Review

https://photographyhero.com/switched-shooting-prime-lenses/

This example is from my participation in the Single in Challenge in May of 2016. With the only prime lens I have, a Rikenon 1:2 50mm. Probably in combination with a x2 Teleconverter.

Read more at: PROJECT 52-11-20-COMPOSITION TECHNIQUES-Rule of odds - PentaxForums.com
Views: 928
02-06-2023, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah very nice, a challenge I can participate in as I actually only shoot primes at the moment. Even “worse”, a manual focus one.

This photo was shot with a K3 Prestige which has a debayered sensor. The lens attached is the Irix 150mm macro f2.8 1:1
Settings : f8 - 1/200 - ISO 200 for those interested .

Last edited by Vaskebjorn; 02-07-2023 at 07:07 AM.
02-09-2023, 12:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
Ah very nice, a challenge I can participate in as I actually only shoot primes at the moment. Even “worse”, a manual focus one.
Beautiful picture worth to be a winner.
I hope others don't intend to make my task so easy tough 🙂
02-09-2023, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
None of our flowers have opened yet, but perhaps soon. In case I can't find a better subject or opportunity, here's what I have for now. Vulture feather from the 100+ we have roosting in our trees. Since I received my KP in December, my K20D has sat patiently waiting... So, it's being repurposed as my M42 mount. This shot was taken with a Vivitar 28mm 1:2.5 AUTO WIDE-ANGLE (Kino made) wide open. Distance from subject was perhaps 12-18", so the in-focus area drops drastically from the center of frame due to the angle the shot was taken. Plus...it's an old lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-10-2023, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I certainly hope more entries will pop up. I will have to assume that almost everyone has at least 1 prime lying around somewhere in a corner or so.

This photo was shot with a K3 Prestige which has a debayered sensor. The lens attached is the Irix 150mm macro f2.8 1:1
Settings : f8 - 1/200 - ISO 200 for those interested .

02-10-2023, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stacks of Trix taken with the *istDS2/M50 at f1.4, ISO 200. and 1/90 sec.
02-10-2023, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Silly photographer. Trix are for kids.

Seriously, great idea and excellent photo!

02-11-2023, 06:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Silly photographer. Trix are for kids.

Seriously, great idea and excellent photo!
Thanks.
02-13-2023, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A bit late to the party, hope our judge will accept this one. Shot with the D FA 50mm Macro.
02-13-2023, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Also a little late...

Pentax K-1 mII Limited Silver and M150f3.5 at f4.0, 1/60s, and ISO 100
02-13-2023, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is not too late until I say it is😉. Now the challenge is closed. I'll need few more hours to choose the winner of those great pictures. And before that one ladybug for luck
with HD FA 77ltd
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by Yaki; 02-13-2023 at 04:38 AM.
02-13-2023, 06:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now it's time for the judging exercise.
only 4 pictures but so strong and different that the choice almost impossible.

Vaskebjorn - great detail and perspective. I almost have the feeling I can touch those flowers.

djb47 - another great image. Precise focus and defocus, great bokeh, detail and colors.

noelcmn - Magical picture. The color contrast and graduating defocus make this picture look like it is something different then what it is. Not quite sure but looks like something flying on a jet platform. I think it will be perfect for the new weekly challenge

jcdoss - unlike the previous one here the strong contrast and razor sharpness make this picture very realistic and the defocus is not so strong.

Very hard to choose but There should be a winner and this week it is Vaskebjorn
02-13-2023, 07:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Congratulations! Fantastic image. See everyone next week!
02-13-2023, 08:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Vaskebjorn.
02-13-2023, 09:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations all of you. For making my decision so tough.