Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challange #607, RUINS, now through March 26.
Posted By: gump, 03-20-2023, 03:56 AM

In the John Ford movie, The Long Gray Line, Tyrone Power as Irish immigrant Martin 'Marty' Maher, seeing West Point Military Academy says, "What a fine ruin it would make!" So, this challenge is RUINS. The examples are buildings, but the subject need not be limited. I might submit a "selfie." Let's end this on March 26.

Rules:
1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax or Ricoh camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 1,139
03-20-2023, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit in line withe the West Point reference I have this photo of the remains of the Mahdia coastal defences. These were completed somewhere in the 920’s. I did not forget the one in this case. The military structures as well as most of the city was more or less leveled in the early 1000’s.
I also have a photo of the old military port but there is so little left you can hardly call it a ruin. It’s just the basin and the entrance to the port that remains.
Apparently attacking armies were very thorough in their sieges.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-20-2023, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Last edited by aaacb; 03-20-2023 at 06:48 AM. Reason: changed image
03-20-2023, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sonesta One, an abandoned condo/hotel project in Costa Rica.

03-20-2023, 07:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An old house off the beaten path on Kentucky 101. Shot with my KP and D FA 100 macro WR.

IMGP0373_DxO by -vanya_42nd-
03-20-2023, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Ruined by the weather.

Tim
03-20-2023, 04:22 PM - 3 Likes   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"Open All Hours"

Well perhaps not recently...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-22-2023, 05:08 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is an odd entry into ruins with a story about it. This is an old wooden train station that was moved to a farm as part of a private museum. The man that owned the place had a small village of buildings that he had bought and moved onto his property. When I was there the man was getting pretty old and there is a lot of upkeep on these old buildings, so some were getting bad. The man also restored old horse drawn carriages and built new ones, and several of them were in a newer building. When I was there he was building a replica stage coach, his work on these carriages was outstanding. Not an ancient ruin, but ruins from a time when buildings like this were built quickly and not to last forever, and sometimes they became obsolete quickly too, when a town didn't grow, or have have enough traffic to keep passenger service. Unfortunately in the US passenger rail service is probably 10% or less of what it was 100 years ago.
03-23-2023, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I visited Panama City in 2013, restoration of Casco Viejo, the "old quarter", was still a work in progress. Seemed like a good location to sell Panama hats and this location wasn't being used for much else.

03-24-2023, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

An old swather abandoned near where it was last used.
Kristian
03-24-2023, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

The Heidesheimer Tor, part of the Kaiserpfalz complex in Ingelheim Germany, a medieval palace and fortress now almost completely gone. The structure was initially constructed by Charlemagne and used for a few hundred years. Now it is almost completely replaced by apartment buildings, some of which have incorporated the ruined structure into the walls.

Pentax K-1 mII and A20f2.8 at f22, 1/60s, and ISO 800
03-26-2023, 04:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Officer's Mess perhaps. Part of a few ruins of a military outpost in the city of Port Elizabeth, overlooking Algoa Bay.
03-27-2023, 03:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have chosen atupdate's photo as the winner of #607. Two reasons, originality within the theme and it is a darn good photo. Everybody else is runner-up. Uncle Vanya, ramseybuckeye, Kerrowdown, and turbo_bird are to be noted as I would have taken those shots. How is that for conceit? As a relatively serious student of military history in a former life, the fortifications and associated structures provided "interest," in an expansive definition of the word. Special recognition to those who contributed photos of structures in the early stages of decay. At what point do they become RUINS, and should we document the process? Is photography social commentary no matter what reason we take the image? Thank you for participating.

Andy
03-27-2023, 06:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Challenge #608 is posted here: Weekly Challenge #608 - Lines - PentaxForums.com
03-28-2023, 06:45 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I have chosen atupdate's photo as the winner of #607. Two reasons, originality within the theme and it is a darn good photo. Everybody else is runner-up. Uncle Vanya, ramseybuckeye, Kerrowdown, and turbo_bird are to be noted as I would have taken those shots. How is that for conceit? As a relatively serious student of military history in a former life, the fortifications and associated structures provided "interest," in an expansive definition of the word. Special recognition to those who contributed photos of structures in the early stages of decay. At what point do they become RUINS, and should we document the process? Is photography social commentary no matter what reason we take the image? Thank you for participating.

Andy
Good reasoning and sound decision.