Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Project 52-11-28- Camera and Lens control- Fast Shutter Speed
Posted By: noelcmn, 03-20-2023, 04:37 AM

Let's get some Motivation
I have participated in a few Project 52 kind of thing and there are plenty out there. One of the many aspects that have come to the fore is the value of participating, one of them being how much you learn-about technique, out of the box thinking, getting to know your camera's potential and a host of other values. WHY NOT JOIN THE PROJECT! Besides some discipline, there is not much else required except if you are chosen the winner, in which case you judge the next weeks challenge.

Themes covered will include but not limited to:
Colour
Architecture
DOF
Focus
Exposure
Landscape
Lighting
Perspective
Shutter
Subject- Multi-subject challenge
People
Ideas
Shapes
Home
Animals
Seasonal
Leisure

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-11 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera. And we will include images taken with phones as well.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current week's
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries i.e. a day earlier or a day late. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT
PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE. TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE
TO THE TIME FRAME. SOME FLEXIBILITY IS ALLOWED (after all life comes before photography) FOR OUT OF DATE/LATE SUBMISSIONS.
8. Additional images are welcome, but please keep them to a minimum. If more than one image is posted, make sure you identify your entry for the challenge.
Additional images should also please comply with rule 1 and rule 7.
9. Any picture taken from thread start date
By default, attached photos will be shown below your message
Click on the button below to upload
to listed closing date is acceptable.
10. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-11 and may not participate in the challenge.
11. The host/facilitator (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

We are still with Camera and Lens control, and this week we are exercising some fast shutter speeds. Otherwise known as "freezing the action", fast shutter speed is all about freezing movement. Sport, wildlife on the hunt, fast moving objects like cars, cyclists and of course a firm favorite with photographers BIF. For this challenge, the limit for fast shutter above 1/500th sec. While some would dispute that, and the evidence of a host of images below 1/500th sec of frozen action, for this challenge, it is about getting the camera and lens control. Of course moving object are not the only time you need a fast shutter speed.

Nice examples here : https://expertphotography.com/fast-shutter-speed/

Some interesting guides here: Shutter Speed in Photography: The Essential Guide

and here: When to Use a Fast Shutter Speed?

One from my collection @ 1/1250th sec.

Read more at: PROJECT 52-11-27- CAMERA AND LENS CONTROL- Macro - PentaxForums.com
Views: 582
03-20-2023, 06:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoot, the weather is relatively dark around here at the moment, so no idea if i will be able to get one in. But I noticed the photo of the Egyptian geese and now start to wonder if they secretly took over the world as we also have them here up north (compared to you down south ).
03-20-2023, 06:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Catch them quick. The are indeed conquestors . And remember, you can always use a lot of light to conjure up something. Or pray the weather changes.
03-23-2023, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was lucky and it turned out to be a sunny afternoon today. So I cranked up my shutterspeed especially for this challenge to 1/1000th @f8 and iso100. Due to the subject being white and trying to avoid a blown out flower I had to go that high. No freezing action although it was terribly windy so maybe a bit of freezing movements.

03-24-2023, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has been awhile since I froze water drop action so this challenge was perfect for some fast shutter action. Used a water bead dropped into a shallow container of water colored with white acrylic paint so I
could capture the bead and the splash. I used my K100D with the F35-70 Macro in manual mode, f5.6, ISO 800 at 1/750 sec. Worked fairly well as long as the bead cooperated and bounced left, up or to
the right. You can see the individual images I used for this tryptic here: djb47 (djb47) ? ImgBB

Last edited by djb47; 03-24-2023 at 07:31 AM.
03-25-2023, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1/640 seemed to be enough to get this snowy egret to freeze in time. It was quite a ways off and is cropped a lot.
03-26-2023, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
1/800th got the bee flitting between the Cosmos

03-27-2023, 05:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Challenge closed, thank you all for your submissions, now it is over to djb47 (Don) to do the judging exercise for us.

The next challenge is up and running.
Project 52-11-29-intentional camera movement. - PentaxForums.com
03-28-2023, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to judge last week's assignment.

Richard -- like how you filled the frame and the detail in the flower. Nice color control also.

Tom -- great timing with your capture. The wing spread is impressive, nice details in the crop and sharp crisp color.

Noel -- bees stocking up for the winter months ahead. Nice colors and details in the capture.

I pick Tom's egret as my favorite for this assignment. I admit, I have a thing for egrets. :-))

Well done Richard and Noel.
03-28-2023, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Congrats Tom! Thanks djb47 for doing the honors!
04-04-2023, 01:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Don, I’m honored