Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52-11-29-intentional camera movement.
Posted By: noelcmn, 03-27-2023, 05:04 AM

Let's get some Motivation
I have participated in a few Project 52 kind of thing and there are plenty out there. One of the many aspects that have come to the fore is the value of participating, one of them being how much you learn-about technique, out of the box thinking, getting to know your camera's potential and a host of other values. WHY NOT JOIN THE PROJECT! Besides some discipline, there is not much else required except if you are chosen the winner, in which case you judge the next weeks challenge.

Themes covered will include but not limited to:
Colour
Architecture
DOF
Focus
Exposure
Landscape
Lighting
Perspective
Shutter
Subject- Multi-subject challenge
People
Ideas
Shapes
Home
Animals
Seasonal
Leisure

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-11 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera. And we will include images taken with phones as well.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current week's
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries i.e. a day earlier or a day late. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT
PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE. TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE
TO THE TIME FRAME. SOME FLEXIBILITY IS ALLOWED (after all life comes before photography) FOR OUT OF DATE/LATE SUBMISSIONS.
8. Additional images are welcome, but please keep them to a minimum. If more than one image is posted, make sure you identify your entry for the challenge.
Additional images should also please comply with rule 1 and rule 7.
9. Any picture taken from thread start date
By default, attached photos will be shown below your message
Click on the button below to upload
to listed closing date is acceptable.
10. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-11 and may not participate in the challenge.
11. The host/facilitator (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

This week, we are focusing on ICM- Intentional Camera Movement, as part of out Camera and lens control exercise. Described as art playing with light, a host of possibilities are available to create some fine impressionistic images. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ICM, AND NOT MOTION BLUR, THE MAIN DIFFERENCE BEING THAT HERE IT IS THE CAMERA THAT IS DOING THE MOVEMENT, AND NOT THE SUBJECT BEING PHOTOGRAPHED. ICM ALSO INCLUDES INTENTIONAL LENS MOVEMENT IN WHICH CASE IT WILL BE A ZOOM LENS. In this instance, using a mobile prop, or as in the example below, using a tripod, is a very useful tool. I have contemplted tying my camera to my car and doing a zigzag short burst, with the lens unfocused. But that can prove an expensive exercise. A remote controlled car, or other such toy present possibilities. Or a mobile tripod that is used in filming. Let's see your Monet creations this week

A lot of fantastic help here: Intentional Camera Movement Photography, Part 1: Introduction | B&H eXplora

Even Wikipedia had a helpful article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_camera_movement

And here too: An Introduction to Intentional Camera Movement - Nature TTL

THE CHALLENGE WILL CLOSE AT MIDNIGHT IN YOUR TIME ZONE ON 1 APRIL 2023.

Read more at: Project 52-11-28- Camera and Lens control- Fast Shutter Speed - PentaxForums.com
Views: 638
03-29-2023, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's my entry for now. I might experiment further if the opportunity arises and I remember. 😊

Pentax K-1 mII and M28f3.5 double exposure with varying shutter speeds and ISO values
03-31-2023, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zoom blur, a form of ICM, while holding the camera steady but rotating the lens from 70-35 mm.

04-01-2023, 03:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-03-2023, 12:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Once again I am late to the party, just too many things on the brain, including planning a trip to Rietvlei Nature Reserve today. Hope the Judge will include this one!
04-03-2023, 12:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Challenge closed, now it is over to Ramseybuckeye (Tom) to do the judging exercise for us! Thanks all for your submissions.

New Challenge is up and running: PROJECT 52-11-30- CAMERA AND LENS CONTROL - Wide Aperture - PentaxForums.com
04-04-2023, 01:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Once again I am late to the party, just too many things on the brain, including planning a trip to Rietvlei Nature Reserve today. Hope the Judge will include this one!
wish you a nice trip and inspiring shots there. Make sure to get some spider web pics for the other challenge if it's not to late

04-04-2023, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi all, sorry I’m late to judge, but this is a small but really good sample of “moving pictures “. I’ll apologize for being brief, but I’m a little short on time and doing this on a cell phone (cumbersome to me). I think all of these are really good examples. As I keep looking at these, it is a hard choice, but I keep going back to Noel’s shot, I have no idea what it is, but it is pleasing to look at, so Noel takes the prize on this one. Congrats to all on a great challenge!
04-05-2023, 12:32 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Tom, for doing the judging exercise, and for the win. It is in fact the wooden, creosote treated wall panels of the bird hide at Kloofendal Nature Reserve. As can be seen in the attached image, the panels have quite a bit of space between them, allowing light and the colors of the shrubs and stones behind it to come through quite strongly. I took several shots in my attempt to get some ICM on this occasion. Shot witih the K-70 and smc FA 35-80mm, 1sec exposure, all on manual, coupled with a x2 Teleconverter, and if I remember correctly, f22, due to the harsh light.

04-05-2023, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
...It is in fact the wooden, creosote treated wall panels of the bird hide at Kloofendal Nature Reserve. ...
That's exactly what I would have guessed. 😜

Congrats Noel and thanks Tom for the judging exercise. Onward to next week!
04-05-2023, 05:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Noel. Never would have guessed bird hide, thanks for the explanation.
04-05-2023, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
That's exactly what I would have guessed. 😜
!
LOL, Quote of the year candidate! Made my day