Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Project 52-11-34-PERSPECTIVE- Shooting through glass
Posted By: noelcmn, 05-01-2023, 05:17 AM

Let's get some Motivation
I have participated in a few Project 52 kind of thing and there are plenty out there. One of the many aspects that have come to the fore is the value of participating, one of them being how much you learn-about technique, out of the box thinking, getting to know your camera's potential and a host of other values. WHY NOT JOIN THE PROJECT! Besides some discipline, there is not much else required except if you are chosen the winner, in which case you judge the next weeks challenge.

Themes covered will include but not limited to:
Colour
Architecture
DOF
Focus
Exposure
Landscape
Lighting
Perspective
Shutter
Subject- Multi-subject challenge
People
Ideas
Shapes
Home
Animals
Seasonal
Leisure

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-11 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera. And we will include images taken with phones as well.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current week's
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries i.e. a day earlier or a day late. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT
PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE. TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE
TO THE TIME FRAME. SOME FLEXIBILITY IS ALLOWED (after all life comes before photography) FOR OUT OF DATE/LATE SUBMISSIONS.
8. Additional images are welcome, but please keep them to a minimum. If more than one image is posted, make sure you identify your entry for the challenge.
Additional images should also please comply with rule 1 and rule 7.
9. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable. By default, attached photos will be shown below your message
Click on the button below to upload
10. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-11 and may not participate in the challenge.
11. The host/facilitator (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

This week for our Perspective sub-theme, we going to shoot through glass, a technique that creates iinteresting perspective, blur, abstractions, distortions and mystery. But also a little used technique, considering that glass is just about everywhere, in buildings, homes and technology. While there is a PP facility to create through a glass image, such as frosted and stained glass, these are tobe avoided. We are looking for images that have actually been shot rhrough glass in one form or another. This is also not about shooting glass as the subject.

You can get some ideas here: https://www.theclickcommunity.com/blog/creativity-exercise-shooting-through-glass/

Interestng help here: Photographing through glass - Photofocus

And portrait ideas here: Take Striking Portraits Through Glass: Try Some Unique Portrait Photography in the Comfort of Your Home | Learn Photography by Zoner Photo Studio

The challenge will close at Midnight 7 May 2023 in your time zone

Posting two from my collection.
Me screaming for help

This one shot through a glass tumbler, the 18-55mm lens right inside the tumbler, manual focus set at infinity.

Read more at: project 52-11-33- PERSPECTIVE- Low down - PentaxForums.com
Views: 805
05-01-2023, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good subject, but I hope that photo at the top is not how your neighbors see you!
05-01-2023, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
LOL! More like "not how my congregants see me. I am outside the church, the Camera inside, and fortunately no one saw anything They would surely have concluded "mad Pastor"
05-03-2023, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, let me open the challenge with this pic

Here light moves thru two layers of glass before reaching the lens to draw the picture of a building. The first layer is the outside window. The second is an interior window where the light crosses the glass and then is reflected by its inner surface.
And one from yesterday through the glass of time

PS: This pictures doesn't match the rules of the challenge because is made by the judge

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by Yaki; 05-07-2023 at 12:06 AM.
05-05-2023, 07:53 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

The dog and I made it to the end of the street, then it started to rain fairly hard. Me, dog, and bag of camera gear beat a hasty retreat back to the house. We might go out later if it stops, but in the meantime I'll post this image here taken through the freshly rained upon kitchen window for this challenge. As usual, I might change out the image if I get a better opportunity later on.

Pentax K-1 mII and Pentax-M 28mm f2.0 at f4.0, 1/90s, and ISO 100
05-05-2023, 11:05 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shot the clear glass incandescent light filament through white mini lights wrapped around a plastic container with the bottom cut out just for something different.

K30/Helios 44M-7
05-07-2023, 12:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is still time for more submissions.

05-07-2023, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thought I'd try the technique again that I used in the 2nd example posted above, but this time with the Sigma 10-20mm lens. Same glass, willing subject, though I'd guess the artifical flowers could not exactly protest their appearance on the net!
05-07-2023, 10:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well it is time to end this challenge. This week you decided to make my exersise easier.Thank you!
05-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Indeed time for the challenge to be closed. My apologies, I have family visiting, so was out for most of the day, and then the outages happened. We'll await Yaki's announcement of the winner for this challenge. Thanks all for your participation and submissions.

Next challenge is here: PROJEC 52-11-35- PERSPECTIVE-Vanishing points - PentaxForums.com
05-09-2023, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well obviously I a bad judge this week 😎 I'm late with judjing and and I broke a few of the rules by participating in the challenge, se ding a photo, made with a cellphone and submitting two images without saing which I participate with.
So here is my bad judgment:
1. Yaki - nice try 😁 disqualified for reasons mentioned above.
2. Jason - defocused house thru a rainy glass there is some minor mood in this picture. Remindes me all my spring until the last week. Good candidate for the price.
3. Don - very interesting approach here. Black background, yellow abstract frame around a sharp image in the center. like the result. Another strong candidate.
4. Noel - the second version of the "see thru the bottle" picture for me is better version of the example in the beginning of this thread. The blurring cosed by the glass compliments the clear senter of the picture.
I like all the participating images but in the end my choice falls upon Noel's picture.
Did I say I am a bad judge this week 🤔
Thank you for making my exercise easy! This challenge was a big fun for me. See you soon.
05-09-2023, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Congrats Noel! Nice job with the judging, Yaki. Next week's challenge is already up. See you there!