Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
Weeklt Challenge #616 - My Favourite Bird
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 06-02-2023, 11:18 PM

Thanks to Turbo-Bird for hosting the previous Challenge.

The Challenge this week is "My Favourite Bird"

In my case it is the New Holland Honeyeater, a prolific small bird here in South East Australia. Primarily a nectar feeder, it is also deadly on insects.

Here are a few samples. Your favourite bird could be anything from an eagle to a sparrow. I am looking forward to seeing your feathered friends.

And of course the rules below.

The Challenge will close in one week. Saturday 10 of June. Good luck

Rules:
1. Post ONE photo.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax or Ricoh camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo   

Views: 1,348
06-03-2023, 04:03 AM - 6 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Birds are great and the one I have is probably the most colorful in the Netherlands.
This is a Kingfisher for people who do not recognize it.

06-03-2023, 04:17 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Blue Jay waiting for a turn at the bird feeder.

It was worth the wait. The first photo is my entry to the challenge.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 06-03-2023 at 05:42 AM.
06-03-2023, 04:54 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hard to pick a favorite but Royal Terns would be in the running.

Attached Images

06-03-2023, 05:48 AM - 8 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love a lot of European and North American birds but for me it has to be the King Penguin. From the way they act towards each other and towards us it's easy to say they are just like people, but their other world, under the ocean chasing fish and being chased by predators, is so different. This was taken at Volunteer Point on the Falkland Islands in 2019.

06-03-2023, 02:36 PM - 6 Likes   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Bye Bye

Just gotta be my favourite BIF image...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-03-2023, 06:32 PM - 6 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I take a lot of bird picture, but I don't really have a favorite bird, there are certain birds that you will go on quests to find, one that comes to mind is the saltmarsh sparrow, I've got a few pictures, but I'm still looking for closer and better opportunities. But I'm going with a surprise bird that I saw this morning for the first time, I didn't even know it existed here, it obviously does, but it is nocturnal and rarely seen unless you find their roost. I was taking a walk through a park, got back to my truck and decided to take one more walk out on a boardwalk through salt marsh. I stepped just a few feet onto the boardwalk and there is was, sitting on the railing. I took a couple of quick pics, then slowly moved closer, a slow step, take another pic, and so on, I had gotten close enough that I had to take a picture with the camera vertically, and then woman came from behind, walked past and scared the bird away. It flew into a nearby tree and I took a couple more pics, but not nearly as close. At the time I assumed it was Black-crowned Night-Heron in some juvenile stage, because the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron did not appear in the Merlin app for out region.
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

06-03-2023, 07:50 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if I have a favourite bird; the Canada Jay/Whiskey Jack/Camp Robber is definitely not a favourite of mine, but this is probably my favourite bird picture. This juvenile was watching me prepare supper in a campground at Haines Junction, Yukon. They will steal food right off your table if you walk away.

06-04-2023, 04:34 AM - 5 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My only sighitng of this Half Collard Kingfisher
06-04-2023, 11:26 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Australian King Parrot
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
06-05-2023, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tough call on a favorite bird - I think it would be a tie between the big, really cool looking birds, like owls, herons and egrets, and the reliable neighborhood birds, like mockingbirds and finches.

Juvenile Finch
06-05-2023, 03:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Hard to pick a favorite but Royal Terns would be in the running.
I like them too, they just look so dumb, like old partly bald men (no offense, I'm one), and they do a lot of squawking at each other.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
My only sighitng of this Half Collard Kingfisher
Your only sighting was a nice one, great photo!
06-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I like them too, they just look so dumb, like old partly bald men (no offense, I'm one), and they do a lot of squawking at each other.
They look self-important but it is very obviously a facade. Partly bald, maybe that is why I like them, something we share.
06-06-2023, 02:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Your only sighting was a nice one, great photo!
Thank you Sir!
06-07-2023, 09:03 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stieglitz or Distelfink in German, Goldfinch in English. One of the most colorful songbirds in Europe. I used my fabulous FA* 2.8 300 and 1.4 HD converter but the image is still cropped.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo