Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners weekly challenge #641 - Headshots with something extra
Posted By: Vaskebjorn, 02-11-2024, 03:32 AM

Well, you all delivered on this one and the variety of all the photos surprised me pleasantly. Everyone had their own interpretation and that is something I like. It makes judging a bit harder obviously but that is a problem I created myself. So over to the judging.

Jacamar - The raven speaks - This is probably one of the best if not the best raven shot I have seen. No question who is the main character here. I like the dark bird full of details against the soft background. I also like the look on the bird and I can almost hear the scream in the photo.

Kerrowdown - Nightmare mode - no question here about the extra. Even though I see a head, I am not entirely sure what I am looking at. The head looks like it’s build up from wood and therefore would be a statue, but that might be my impression. A really artistic shot that you should frame for Halloween, although you might be left with all the candy at the end of the evening.

Ramseybuckey - Two young ladies - this one had me looking two times. When I saw the photo I wondered how someone could be that flexible but after looking more closely there are two flexible people. The grin on the young ladies face is enough extra in itself and to be honest you got yourself a couple of great models.

Atupdate - Thinking man - that indeed is a man thinking, one can only wonder what he is thinking about. Probably about the question about live, the universe and everything. No idea if he coms up with the proper answer though this is a really great catch and assuming it’s taken in a zoo, I bet they would want that photo as it would be a great one in their newsletter or calendar or something like that.

Pacerr - A two-fer - well knowing dogs a little bit I bet they are watching the hunting grounds outside the window, maybe waiting for a bit of sunshine. I really this photo as you put both of the in there as the main character. Even partners in crime one could or might say.

Hattifnatt - Self portrait with extra cat - this is a really striking photo, at first I thought you got an Arabic person with turban and a cat but after looking again, that is obviously not the case. I like the dark tones in this photo a lot as I myself tend to gravitate towards the darker side of things in photos. I do have to disagree with you on the title though, as this most certainly is “a cat with extra photographer”. And some final words from the famous @purr.in.ink after seeing the naughty kitty : “I am ready to love you intensely …… with my teeth”

Noelcmn - A lot of extra - o wow, that is indeed a lot of extra. A great photo accentuating a very likely very bright person(ality). I like how the colors in the background even though they are blurred and more muted are in line with the curly hair. My guess is this is some kind of event and might have more bright haired people, but this sunny girl obviously did not go unnoticed as you took the photo.

Yaki - Headshot with hat - that is a great headshot or should I say hatshot. I love the brightness in the photo and the casualness of the young lady on a, judging from the elaborate dress, an important day. The mirror completes the image in my opinion as it avoids the dark background to be to present. Now the background contrasts the model and the mirror duplicates that. Obviously, the flowers on the hat are a nice detail in the whole setting.

1. Hattifnatt as I like the tones and do love cats.
2. Atupdate for the unique moment you captured.
3. Jacamar for the fantastic raven.

HM to Kerrowdown as I still don’t know what I am looking at, Pacerr for bringing dogs into the game, Ramseybuckeye for all the flexibility, Noelcmn for brightening my day and Yaki for bringing the hat to the party.

Views: 434
02-11-2024, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Hattifnatt, spot on the the challenge, and a worthy winner! Watch your fingers . Congrats too to Atupdate and Jacamar for their respective podium places. Thanks Vaskebjorn for the Challenge and the Judging exercise. As noted, a great variety of interpretations. And that young lass was part of a Dance Festival, and I had permission from her proud Mom to take a few shots. She is indeed a great kid!
02-11-2024, 12:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks Vaskebjorn for the podium place and congrats to Atupdate and Hatffnat. One or two ravens show up each time we walk along on a particular trail in Algonquin Park. They fly up behind you along the trail, you hear the whoosh as they pass a few feet over your head then they land in front of you. The calls are very loud.
02-11-2024, 08:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We have a couple of jackdaws in the neighborhood , but they are very evasive especially when you want to get a photo. I got a couple though, but not as good as your photo .

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Thanks Vaskebjorn for the podium place and congrats to Atupdate and Hatffnat. One or two ravens show up each time we walk along on a particular trail in Algonquin Park. They fly up behind you along the trail, you hear the whoosh as they pass a few feet over your head then they land in front of you. The calls are very loud.

02-13-2024, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you all who participated and Richard for the win! It was a little bit of a hassle to take this shot, light was Godox AD600 Pro with a Godox P120L Octobox. I had to hold the cat with one hand and used my phone in the other hand to focus and trigger the shot using the ImageSync app. After a lot of not so great shots, she finally decided to cooperate and I got this one. It did pay off in the end, she was adopted and found a new home, so here's how a photo shooting session can forever change your life. I don't complain too much either, got a lot of matches on dating apps with this pic (but no adoption so far ).

I'll come up with a new challenge today.
02-14-2024, 04:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New challenge is up HERE.