Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52-12-8: Negative Space
Posted By: djb47, 02-19-2024, 06:10 AM

Welcome to Project 52-12, a weekly challenge using a set list of themes and concepts published in advance. The themes can be subject as well as technique oriented.
You may begin your Project 52 at any time, not just at the beginning of the year. The goal is simple -- take one photo a week for 52 weeks for the given theme. Project 52-12
is hosted by one member continuously throughout the year but every week's challenge is judged by the winner of the previous week. Photos can be taken with any camera.

Rules

1. Anyone and everyone who is interested is eligible. The goal is to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a theme or a photographic technique for you to explore.
3. Post a single picture in the Project 52 thread for that week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK but try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images. Keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras can be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot or Medium Format.
6. There will be one theme challenge labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.

P52-12-8: Negative Space 2/19-2/25

Negative space in photography describes the clean, empty (or nearly empty), minimal parts of an image that aren’t the subject of your photograph. Typically, the subject of
a photo is the positive space and everything else that makes up the area around the subject is the negative space. Oftentimes this means simplifying your composition by
reducing the number of elements that are included by perhaps incorporating more sky, blank sections of wall, or out-of-focus areas that sit in contrast to the main subject.
Negative space in photography ties in closely with minimalism, and incorporating it into an image can help remove distractions, eliminate clutter, and create bolder, more
impactful compositions.

https://digital-photography-school.com/negative-space-in-photography/

https://expertphotography.com/negative-space-photography/

Upcoming Themes
P52-12-9: Patterns
P52-12-10: In Camera Composite
P52-12-11: High Key
P52-12-12: Details
Views: 655
02-19-2024, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoot , I had a nice one last Thursday so that is unfortunately outside the date range. I will have to go outside again.
02-19-2024, 11:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. In art negative space is often used as a subject - flipping the script to focus on the space around what would be the subject. In drawing classes drawing the negative space is helpful to break the focus on what we think something looks like vs what it actually looks like.
02-23-2024, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

02-23-2024, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Negative space
02-25-2024, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Negative Space by Jason Doss
Pentax K-1 mII Limited Silver and Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 at f2.8, 1/180s, and ISO 100
02-25-2024, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

02-25-2024, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ISO is 12800 - the emphasis is on the shapes left by the railing. The outline effect is due to pushing the processing and a split tone sepia effect.
Sony a7R III, Samyang 24mm f1.8 E lens, DXO Photolab 7

There is a simple B&W version of the same image for comparison on my flickr feed.
02-26-2024, 05:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This challenge is closed. Time for Jason to judge the entries.

Thank you all for your participation.
02-26-2024, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Don's image with the die and reflection on a stark black background really typifies what I'm looking for in the theme, and therefore he is this week's winner. Noel gets the runner's up trophy this week. Everyone's entries were good and on-theme, albeit few in number. Thanks everyone for participating and let's get onto next week!
02-26-2024, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Don's image with the die and reflection on a stark black background really typifies what I'm looking for in the theme, and therefore he is this week's winner. Noel gets the runner's up trophy this week. Everyone's entries were good and on-theme, albeit few in number. Thanks everyone for participating and let's get onto next week!
Nice photo and I agree that it fit the defined parameters. I went with what I think of as negative space from my art classes - which is completely different. I think of the type of shot Don did as an isolated subject or an example of white space (despite it being dark!) in images. It's like silence in music - very important. Overall a fun set of images and I'm happy to see Don win.

On to the next theme!
02-26-2024, 11:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the nod Jason.

Appreciate your comment Brad.
02-27-2024, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Don, knew that was the one to beat. Thanks Jason for doing the honors, and my 2nd spot. And onto some patterns