Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Best of PF Newsletter Challenge #18: Diamonds in the rough
Posted By: cjfeola, 02-20-2024, 11:16 PM

We all have them; cheap lenses that ought to be in the back of the cabinet gathering dust, but always seem to end up on our cameras because they just work. It might be your kit lens; it might be old manual glass. Mine is the SMC Pentax-M 135mm F3.5. It was one of the first lenses I bought, because it was cheap. I kept buying better lenses and “retiring” it, including the legendary Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8. But somehow the little M kept ending up in my bag and on an LX. It just worked for me. Please share with us images from your diamonds in the rough, and tell us in the comments what makes them special.

This challenge runs through February 27.
Views: 539
02-23-2024, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lifetime ago I bought a Walimex 500mm f6.3 mirror lens for fun and to try something relatively long. It is ot really a stellar lens in sharpness or probably any other metric (other than being cheap that is) but it still has something special in my opinion.

02-23-2024, 10:35 PM   #3
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@Vaskebjorn: very nice! Have you tried it for portraits?
Cjf
02-24-2024, 02:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn’t, and to be honest I am not really into portraits as it has its own set of challenges, one of which is people .

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
@Vaskebjorn: very nice! Have you tried it for portraits?
Cjf

02-24-2024, 04:39 PM   #5
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
I didn’t, and to be honest I am not really into portraits as it has its own set of challenges, one of which is people .
True, and I agree; I've never been a portrait guy. But your shot reminds me of those famous soft-focus portrait lenses.

Cjf
02-25-2024, 04:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. Soft focus with that lens is not really difficult though . Focus is really hard, especially when it’s windy outside. Also you only have shutterspeed and ISO to play with and in the days I used the lens, I basically had focus fixed which only leaves shutterspeed. The f stop is fixed.

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
True, and I agree; I've never been a portrait guy. But your shot reminds me of those famous soft-focus portrait lenses.

Cjf