Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52-12-9: Patterns
Posted By: djb47, 02-26-2024, 06:01 AM

Welcome to Project 52-12, a weekly challenge using a set list of themes and concepts published in advance. The themes can be subject as well as technique oriented.
You may begin your Project 52 at any time, not just at the beginning of the year. The goal is simple -- take one photo a week for 52 weeks for the given theme. Project 52-12
is hosted by one member continuously throughout the year but every week's challenge is judged by the winner of the previous week. Photos can be taken with any camera.

Rules

1. Anyone and everyone who is interested is eligible. The goal is to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a theme or a photographic technique for you to explore.
3. Post a single picture in the Project 52 thread for that week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK but try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images. Keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras can be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot or Medium Format.
6. There will be one theme challenge labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.

P52-12-9: Patterns 2/26 - 3/3

Patterns in photography simply refers to the repetition of similar shapes and objects within the photo. The overall image will show texture, a unique color, and or different angles. Irregular patterns in photography are a bonus, as they typically grab more attention through their intriguing, repetitive nature. Consequentially, the viewer begins to decipher what he or she may be looking at, holding their attention longer. Some may argue that patterns add a distracting element to the frame but familiarity and similarity through recognition of shapes can stimulate the viewer.

https://www.theschoolofphotography.com/tutorials/pattern-in-photography

https://expertphotography.com/tips-for-using-patterns-in-photography/

Upcoming Themes
P52-12-10: In Camera Composite
P52-12-11: High Key
P52-12-12: Details
P52-12-13: Street Photography
Views: 662
02-26-2024, 10:40 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will kick off this weeks challenge with some natural patterns.

02-26-2024, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

The patterns left in the sand by the receding tide are a continuing source of inspiration to me

02-27-2024, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's so many patterns in nature that my eye gets drawn to. especially when you get close up in flowers and look at the seed arrangements. It's hard for me to choose just one, but I think this is one of my favorites. It's the center area of a sunflower I shot when I first got my WR 100mm Macro.

As you look at the details you can see patterns within patterns. Ridges, Colors, just so much is there that the compressed version here doesn't do it justice. Here's a link to a full size version.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Macro/i-ggCmdwJ/0/ChjvhPDkGZDNFCqJm5L5bzJ8ZBDNkvj...IMG1565-X4.jpg

02-29-2024, 11:34 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not quite sure this qualifies
I made another pattern and will participate with this
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by Yaki; 03-03-2024 at 05:24 AM.
03-01-2024, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
I am not quite sure this qualifies
It does Yaki.

Playing with the chess set this morning.
03-01-2024, 03:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Real time patterns created by wind blowing sand

03-03-2024, 09:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Pattern by Jason Doss
Pentax K-1 mII Limited Silver and Pentax-M 100mm f2.8 at f2.8, 1/1000s, and ISO 140
03-03-2024, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

03-04-2024, 06:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This challenge is closed and it's now time to judge the entries.

Thank you all for your participation.

Richard -- Nature provides many interesting patterns. I like this leaf pattern in black and white.
kypfer -- Another natural b&w pattern. The person walking the beach gives it a sense of scale.
Craigbob -- The spiral pattern of the fibonacci sequence in math and the natural world is one of my favorites also.
Yaki -- I like how you captured checking in these growth rings. Adds interest to the pattern.
Tom -- Another real time beach pattern well captured. Like that blue gray sand.

Jason -- Nice capture of that fence pattern with a nice bokeh background accent.
Noel -- Great color pattern here and I like the soft focus on the anthers and stigma. Makes for an interesting composition.

My pick for this week is kypfer's beach walker.

HMs to Tom and Noel.

Well done everyone.
03-04-2024, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats kypfer, excellent shot that! And congrats to Tom as well. Thanks Don for the judging exercise, and the HM. Great bunch of submissions this week.
03-04-2024, 11:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
This challenge is closed and it's now time to judge the entries.

Thank you all for your participation.

Richard -- Nature provides many interesting patterns. I like this leaf pattern in black and white.
kypfer -- Another natural b&w pattern. The person walking the beach gives it a sense of scale.
Craigbob -- The spiral pattern of the fibonacci sequence in math and the natural world is one of my favorites also.
Yaki -- I like how you captured checking in these growth rings. Adds interest to the pattern.
Tom -- Another real time beach pattern well captured. Like that blue gray sand.

Jason -- Nice capture of that fence pattern with a nice bokeh background accent.
Noel -- Great color pattern here and I like the soft focus on the anthers and stigma. Makes for an interesting composition.

My pick for this week is kypfer's beach walker.

HMs to Tom and Noel.

Well done everyone.
Wow ... didn't realise there was any sort of competition ... just thought it was an interest group
My old *ist has still got some mileage in it!
03-04-2024, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Wow ... didn't realise there was any sort of competition ... just thought it was an interest group
My old *ist has still got some mileage in it!
Not really a competition kyper but you do get to judge the next challenge. Cheers.
03-04-2024, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Congrats kyper and the rest of the podium this week, and great images all! Onward to the next challenge.
03-04-2024, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
Not really a competition kyper but you do get to judge the next challenge. Cheers.
OK, but you'd best keep me posted as to what is necessary and when, else I might miss it ... don't want to let anyone down