Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Your least favorite lens: Best of Pentax Forums Newsletter Challenge #23
Posted By: cjfeola, 03-26-2024, 08:37 PM

We all love to talk about our favorite lenses, and debate their merits. Whatís your least favorite lens? You know, the one in the bottom of your bag you only remember when you accidentally grab it reaching for glass you like. Mineís any 50mm, followed closely by every 35mm ever made. I donít know why; they just donít fit my eye. Iíve got bags full of wider glass, and short teles, all of which I love. So please dig that dusty lens out of the bag, share shots with us, then tell us in the comments how you really feel about that lens! We'll feature some images in The Best of Pentax Forums free newsletter that goes out to over 1,000 Pentaxians every Wednesday; come join us here if you haven't had a chance to subscribe!

This challenge runs through April 2.
Views: 727
03-27-2024, 01:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I am happy with all the lenses I have retained (AF and MF), even if some of them don't get the usage they deserve - the only ones with which I did not get on were a Sigma 28-105 f2.8, which no amount of tuning cured back or front focus, and another Sigma, 70-300, which just didn't feel 'right' for some reason - results not as sharp as I wished, contrast 'off' (can't be more specific than that) and handling. Apart from that, no problems.
03-27-2024, 05:28 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sell off lenses that I don't like - not much point in keeping them...
03-27-2024, 06:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Least Favourite Lens

I think my least is the Pentax SMC - DA 1:4-5.6 50-200mm ED WR, which actually now that I am looking at it, shouldn't be. Maybe it's my photography that's blaaah.
It came with the Pentax K10D i bought 2nd hand and for some reason, the images I took with it were all blaaah so it sits at the back of the cupboard.

I would love to hear your views if you think I am mistaken and probably haven't used this lens properly.
What I will do now, though, it try it again through my KP.

Here are 4 images, 50mm, 105mm and 200mm x 2
No post-production except on the grass to bring down the exposure a tad.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-27-2024, 06:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoLady Quote
I think my least is the Pentax SMC - DA 1:4-5.6 50-200mm ED WR, which actually now that I am looking at it, shouldn't be. Maybe it's my photography that's blaaah.
It came with the Pentax K10D i bought 2nd hand and for some reason, the images I took with it were all blaaah so it sits at the back of the cupboard.

I would love to hear your views if you think I am mistaken and probably haven't used this lens properly.
What I will do now, though, it try it again through my KP.

Here are 4 images, 50mm, 105mm and 200mm x 2
No post-production except on the grass to bring down the exposure a tad.
I owned a copy of the older DA 50-200. I sold it after many people said it was too soft. I confess it was peer pressure. The DA 55-300 I replaced it with and the DA 18-135 I added also made the 18-55 and 50-200 less useful. But I still wonder if the light and compact 50-200 was dismissed too easily.
03-27-2024, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I owned a copy of the older DA 50-200. I sold it after many people said it was too soft. I confess it was peer pressure. The DA 55-300 I replaced it with and the DA 18-135 I added also made the 18-55 and 50-200 less useful. But I still wonder if the light and compact 50-200 was dismissed too easily.
Lovely to hear from you again. Isn't that interesting that you too had doubts about the 50-200 and now wonder, as you said, and as I have done, dismissed it too easily.
So I have already fitted this lens to my KP and will take them out for a trial run walk around.
After that, let's see how it fares on my K1m2.
Thank you for your interesting comment
03-27-2024, 10:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
We all love to talk about our favorite lenses, and debate their merits. Whatís your least favorite lens? You know, the one in the bottom of your bag you only remember when you accidentally grab it reaching for glass you like. Mineís any 50mm, followed closely by every 35mm ever made. I donít know why; they just donít fit my eye. Iíve got bags full of wider glass, and short teles, all of which I love. So please dig that dusty lens out of the bag, share shots with us, then tell us in the comments how you really feel about that lens! We'll feature some images in The Best of Pentax Forums free newsletter that goes out to over 1,000 Pentaxians every Wednesday; come join us here if you haven't had a chance to subscribe!

This challenge runs through April 2.
Thank you Chris for this challenge. It made me go back and look first to see my less impressive 'blaaah' images and then find the lens I used. As I thought, it was stuck at the back and forgotten.
So I decided to give it a second chance and have just returned from from a walk-around, testing it on my KP and I'm delighted with the results. The lens performed extremely well.

03-27-2024, 12:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Great timing for this question, I have been participating in the Single in Challenge for the last 5 years, a different lens every month and enjoying getting out and using my lenses, this month I am using the 07 Shield lens on the QS-1. The lens is almost a pinhole lens cap, there is a drop of glass in the pinhole at f11 and only fixed focus between about 30cm and 2 metres. Even then the surrounds are all fuzzy, it is capable of working well within those parameters, but way too hard to fit in to being a point and shoot alternative . It is however my most favourite lens cap as I can still take a picture with it attached

03-27-2024, 01:34 PM   #9
Staff Writer

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoLady Quote
Thank you Chris for this challenge. It made me go back and look first to see my less impressive 'blaaah' images and then find the lens I used. As I thought, it was stuck at the back and forgotten.
So I decided to give it a second chance and have just returned from from a walk-around, testing it on my KP and I'm delighted with the results. The lens performed extremely well.
You're welcome! It's interesting to me how some lenses just fit your eye, and some don't. And I'm not sure how to explain that, but I know it when I see it. There are photographers who love 50s, and collect them. And for years every camera came with one! I've literally given away a dozen over the years, I have so little use for them.

Though I have held on to one: the SMC Pentax 50mm F1.2. Because 1.2. Never really used it on my LXs or MX, but I do like it on my K-3 III Monochrome, where it's a sweet short fast tele.

Cjf
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III Monochrome  Photo 
03-29-2024, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is an interesting challenge, Iím at my oldest sonís house right now on an Easter visit so I donít have anything with me but my favorite lenses that fit into my sling bag. Iím not really sure about my least favorite, I guess you could equate that to least used. Probably the least used is the M 40-80 and the Super Takumar 150 f4. I just donít have a use for them, they are awkward for using in the type of shooting I normally do. I Lao find the 35 and 50 lengths not normally useful, Iím sure that would be different if I had a K-1. I have the DA 35 2.4, a clinically sharp lens, I only seem to use it for shooting small object in a light tent which is rare. I have a few 50ís, a Super-Takumar 50/1.4 which sits unused, F59/1.7, which is very slightly used, and Sigma macro 50/2.8, which get some use and is incredibly sharp.

I do take some landscapes at 35mm, but the DA 20-40 does that way better than the DA35 and is more versatile.

Iíll get home Monday and if I get the chance Iíll take some sample shots with those lenses.