Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52-12-14: Light
Posted By: djb47, 04-01-2024, 05:32 AM

Welcome to Project 52-12, a weekly challenge using a set list of themes and concepts published in advance. The themes can be subject as well as technique oriented.
You may begin your Project 52 at any time, not just at the beginning of the year. The goal is simple -- take one photo a week for 52 weeks for the given theme. Project 52-12
is hosted by one member continuously throughout the year but every week's challenge is judged by the winner of the previous week. Photos can be taken with any camera.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested is eligible. The goal is to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a theme or a photographic technique for you to explore.
3. Post a single picture in the Project 52 thread for that week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK but try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images. Keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras can be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot or Medium Format.
6. There will be one theme challenge labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.

P52-12-14: Light 4/1-4/7

Light is one of the most vital and complicated aspects of photography. There are many characteristics to light: natural or artificial; hard or soft; direct or indirect; high key or low key; flash or strobe; position of the light; color temperature of the light to name a few. Photography lighting isn't as mysterious as it sounds. By starting with the basics of photography lighting techniques and playing with a photo light or two, you'll master getting the perfect exposure in no time. Learning to control your photography with lights is one of the best things you can do to improve your photography skills and take your images to the next level.

https://petapixel.com/photographers-introduction-light/

https://photographylife.com/how-light-creates-emotion-in-photography

Upcoming Themes
P52-12-15: Shaped Bokeh
P52-12-16: Framed
P52-12-17: Abandoned
P52-12-18: Wabi Sabi

Last edited by djb47; 04-02-2024 at 10:19 AM.
Views: 422
04-04-2024, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Candlelight with fairy light bokeh background.

K100D/DA35
04-05-2024, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am going for sunlight, although it’s indirect on this little tulip that was standing in a dark spot.

04-06-2024, 02:13 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only light source I tend to use is an enormous fireball about ninety-three million miles away. Here it is streaming in through our window, casting shadows across the floor.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by Andy58; 04-06-2024 at 11:51 PM. Reason: distance to sun massively understated! (had stated 1 million)
04-07-2024, 01:09 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A pale sun behind a pylon
04-07-2024, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spring leaves lit by morning sunlight
04-08-2024, 05:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Time to close this challenge and time for Yaki to do the judging. May the Light be with you.

Thank you all for your participation and submissions.

4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello friends. Thank you for the patience with my delayed judging.
Here it is:
1. djb47 - very clean picture of lights of the candle and some backlights in the bokeh. I like the smooth transition across the light levels displayed here. The bokeh compliments the main subject being the same color as the main light. Perfect composition.
2. Vaskebjorn - Here, on my opinion, the light is displayed as an instrument to show colors. the colors are bright and vivid which for me means that the light is very well used for its purpose.
3. Andy58 - Here the light is used to give a shape, texture and dimension to the picture by using dropped shadows. Black and white is therefore a good choice for that composition. it makes it stronger.
4. noelcmn - An example for using backlight to form a silhouette. I like the gentle yelow glow of the cloudy sky.

And my picture - out of contest. I'm glad I managed to do it at all because of a very nasty sickness last two weeks which I hope is ending now.
Not much pictures this challenge but very different approach for the subject and a high level of of performance. The choice is hard to be made therefor.

And the winner this week is djb47's candle . Congrats Don!
Second place goes to Richard's tulip
And the third is shared betwееn Andy and Noel.
4 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thought that was the one to beat. Congrats Don, love all those bokeh balls. And extended to Richard and Andy as well. Thanks Yaki for doing the judging exercise. As said, good stuff all round.
4 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations Don. That's my kind of bokeh too, very distinctive.
All the entries were great, very diverse.