Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52, Week 38 - Self Portrait - Judging Results
Posted By: garth1948, 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM

First go at judging in this forum. Portraiture is my favourite subject especially as I now have 3 grandchildren. Here goes -

jezza323 - like the moodiness of your image. Eyes looking slightly upwards is a nice touch.

rense - light sepia toning suits the pensive look of the subject. Sharp edges of the spectacles with a soft feel to the face works well.

MrApollinax - good to see the subject is indeed a photographer. Side-lit face gives drama to the image.

daacon - Well. I will state this straight-up - I am not a fan of fish-eye images. Probably my scientific background requires factual material. However the use of shadows to draw the viewer's eyes to the nose rather than the eyes is quite clever.

ceericks - Usually portraits taken from a low angle are not flattering. But you have pulled it off well with well-lit eye area and top and bottom of image receding in focus. Like the sepia toning.

danloc78 - I would probably have the subject totally in view and lose the fuzzy tree. You need to have the eye area well-lit and focused. Maybe the picture would work better with the arm and clasped hands totally in view. I like the subject occupying the right and bottom of the frame - an interesting alternative to most portraits done straight on and near centered.

I give third place to jezza73 for his excellent 'moody' image.

Second place to MrApollinax for showing a real photographer.

First place to ceericks for a very powerfull and well-posed portrait.

Thanks to all who entered and I feel honoured to judge the competition.
Views: 3,784
03-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the critique. congrats to the top 3! ceericks...i believe that's 2 wins in the past 3 weeks? Nice job!
03-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the nod! Congrats to ceericks!
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Thanks garth1948! And Congrats to all who participated!!!
Good work everyone!