Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
weekly challenge#91: WINNERS
Posted By: axl, 03-19-2009, 01:27 AM

First of all,
Sorry for being late, but my busy schedule didn’t let go.

Secondly,
Wow, what a turn up, and what a great shots. Thanks everybody for taking a part.

OK, let’s get on with it,
First few honourable mentions, shots I liked but there is always something…

Jezza323 – nice shot, I like how it portrays the power of the river. Just shame of the bright distraction in the top left corner, and the bit that is sticking out from the left side of the frame…
Bramela – good reflection, very simple, very effective
Vdubbin099 – that was take on my home turf! But it’s a good shot
SouthShoreRob – good idea, good object, but I’d compose it differently…
Tpeace – great shot, came very close to be 3rd
Adamaitken – nice shot, but screams at me B&W, B&W…

And the podiums:
3rd:
Rense – one of my favourites from the beginning. Simple and strong, I’d maybe boost contrast a bit, but still I think this is powerful image

2nd:
Ansbert – great shot, can’t find anything wrong with it, just that there was one shot I like more, still great effort

1st:
David Whiteley – I mean… who are we kidding, simply great shot. When you first time look at it you just think: OK, some nice close up of some little stream, and then you realise there is a person in there and then you realise the perspective….
I mean, well done and challenge #92 is yours David

Views: 4,130
03-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the comments and congrats to the winner! very nice shot
03-19-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Great job winners!

David...your shot is a stunner!

c[_]

Last edited by ll_coffee_lP; 03-19-2009 at 05:01 AM.
03-19-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Excellent choices , contrats to all and the winners and I agree David - super shot.

03-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent choices for the top 3 Congrats to all for some very good work! Great shot David.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 03-19-2009 at 05:00 AM.
03-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gee, thanks! I'm honoured. Such good shots this week, I wasn't even counting on a shout-out let alone placing. I guess the lesson is "take very expensive vacations and shoot whatever catches your eye".

Seriously, there were so many good shots: everyone noted above, but also (to keep it to just a few more--gotta dash to work or I'd name more) how 'bout that arrogant mud-splashing of Arjay's? The boy exploring the flood of Peter's? Aaib's gorgeous sky reflection? The beautiful lack of horizon in vroom sky's? coffee's big sky covered bridge?

YOWSA

Congrats all for being great photographers.

#92 now eh? !!!
03-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good choices. David's pictures is awesome. Let's keep this show on the road.

03-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, and belated response to Camera lucida's query in the original contest thread about how/where shot taken:

No balloon or helicopter, just a hill at the outskirts of Rundu overlooking the river. And to be quite honest, the framing was forced on my by being a ways away from the river: Sigma 70-300 APO Macro at 300mm (hence the softness). It's a good thing I wasn't carrying longer glass or a TC or I might have ended up with just a very pedestrian shot of a man in a canoe.

Wasn't I just taking a lesson from Peter in "learn to shoot what you can with what you've got?" Well, there you go. Doesn't stop me lusting after a 77 Ltd (and I have a lead on one...weak knees...).
03-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great entries all, congratulations to the winners! The winning image is so great, and as Axl said the slowly revealing scale of that scene affected me too!
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

@axl
Thanks for selecting my photo, Congrats to all the winners

happy shooting to all
03-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, third place, thanks a lot Axl! And my congrats to Ansbert and David. David, your photo is really great (in all the different meanings of the word)! I very much like the perspective in it! Ansbert, I hope to make a shot like yours sometime.....