Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #92: The Seventies WINNERS
Posted By: David Whiteley, 03-28-2009, 09:23 AM

Very fun, very good entries. Not a huge number, but it's about quality, not quantity, and we got that.

As always, personal preference is the order of the day, so here's my completely subjective take:

daacon - nicely evocative silhouette shot
Oldschool - veeeeeeeeeeeery classic
xjjohnno - nice piece of history
ovim - not just the shoes but the carpet too - sweet

but my personal favourites were...

3rd Place:
virgilr - perfect subject mater, nice colours, effective & discrete PP. And an appropriately period lens to boot!

2nd:
atupdate - interesting concept, lovely intense colours and I love the mix of abstract with the fact that you can see how it's done.

1st Place:
I've been guilty of awarding 1st price to a regular winner before, so it's only fair I do it again with...
ll_coffee_lP - beautiful, funny shot; nicely inventive twist on the theme; no need to also award the bonus points from hailing from my hometown

Congrats to all who entered!

ll_coffee_lP, you're up...again.
Views: 2,605
03-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are correct that darn Coffee is certainly on a roll and deservedly so. I thought it was a great theme and you had lots of options (focal length, etc). Anyway I enjoyed the nostalgic trip back in time. Partridge Family, Dark Side of the Moon one of the first 'albumns' I owned.....

Well done all.
03-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Thanks for the great honour David!

Congrats to Atupdate and Virgil also - some great shots!

I'll post up the next challenge in a few mins..

c[_]
03-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Surrrrrre, give the cute kid first place. Nice shot and a very worthy winner.

Tim

PS: Hey coffee, how about sharing your B&W conversion secrets? Very nicely done.

03-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Nothing too secret, I must admit...

I decided to go B&W and high key with the image because of a distracting toy in the background (lower right corner), and didn't want to spend too much time trying to clone it out.

In Bridge I did a full desaturation, upped the black levels, added a bit of contrast (base is 25 upped to 35), and did a tiny bit of straightening.

In CS2 I added a layer of edge fade (again to try to get rid of the toy) and erased back the rest of the image that touched the edges. I added the border and our business stamp.

Voila!

I don't tend to process too much...I let the camera do it's thing. Because I shoot in raw I often up black levels, add a tiny bit of contrast, and often drop saturation a tiny bit. My colour conversations are the exact same, but the black level doesn't get bumped as high.

Hope this info is helpful.

c[_]

P.S. Shot with K10D and FA50.
03-29-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Many god photos! Congrats to winners, Coffee deserved this one well!
03-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats, Coffee! That shot has always been one of my favorites that you've taken- I'll have to sit down and take a look at more of your gallery. Inspiration comes from everywhere!

Atupdate- such a great image, and the patience to set that up, even if it wasn't recently: anytime an idea strikes, it's so much fun to realize it, huh?

Dave- loved your shot, actually: A real story telling image, thanks for posting, and your enthusiasm for the theme. It was great to actually read and reply to a post about Sean Cassidy!

David- thank you for your consideration of what was a fun snap on a day of joy for me with my wife, and thanks for hosting!