Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Picture of the Week - 04/12/09 - 04/26/09
Posted By: Bramela, 04-19-2009, 12:42 AM

Picture of the Week - 04/12/09 - 04/26/09 #58

It is my pleasure to be hosting POTW this time around.
So I hope everybody gets on board with the favourite shots.

Rules as before:

1) No theme just your favorite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week .
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Date : Sunday 04/05/09- Sunday 04/19/09
5) Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Previous hosts: 1 Peter Zack, 2 Eaglerapids, 3 rmtagg, 4 Peter Zack, 5 daacon, 6 Bramela, 7 mtnbearhug, 8 dantuyhoa, 9 gawan, 10 roentarre, 11 daacon, 12 Kris, 13 mtnbearhug, 14 SCGushue, 15 daacon, 16 maxwell1295, 17 dantuyhoa, 18 daacon, 19 maxwell1295, 20 Bamela, 21 Syb, 22 & 23 maxwell1295, 24 dantuyhoa, 25 Gawan, 26 Peter Zack, 27 borno, 28 daacon, 29 gawan, 30 Damn Brit, 31 & 32 maxwell1295 , 33 dantuyhoa, 34 daacon, 35 Peter Zack, 36 Damn Brit, 37 Borno, 38 Kevint, 39 Peter Zack, 40 Timbo13, 41 daacon, 42 daacon, 43 gawan, 44 dantuyhoa , 45 daacon, 46 rense, 47 daacon, 48 Rense, 49 borno, 50 Rense, 51 daacon, 52 Peter Zack, 53 Peter Zack, 54 dadipentak, 55 David Whiteley, 56 planedriver,57 daacon,58 bramela

Here a couple from me to get the ball rolling:

1. Fungii

2. Kookaburra

3. Roses

I know, they are nothing really special, but with all the rain we have been experiencing, I haven't really got out there much

Last edited by Bramela; 04-24-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Corrected title
Views: 17,071
04-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW Gary: why do you plant dead trees???? Is it a weird Englishman-in-Canada tradition???

04-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My goodness page 3 and day 1 - the photographic bug has hit us all a good thing

Planedriver - thanks for the comments , I like you shots of and from the plane

eccs19 - thanks for the comments I noticed that as well. With my K10D about 60 - 70% of my shots had to be rotated counter clockwise , much less so with the K20D for some reason and I assumed this was the case , however like you mentioned I saw the trees were good so let it go.

Kevin - great sharp shots of the bird. Nice series.

Gary - thanks for the comments. You do indeed have a friend there. In that first one he almost seems to be winking at you. Wonderful bokeh on the damselfly such a contrast for Fred's desert like surroundings. Your last series makes me long for some color here ! I really like the security gate one not sure why ?

Bruce - thanks for comments. I agree on the blade of grass - lazy PP (getting a copy of lightroom soon maybe that will motivate me).

Tim - thanks for the comments.

seacapt - haha not sure for all the geese around around I can't remember the last time or if I have ever had goose ! but taste like chicken is a safe bet . Wonderful series I love the last one - looks like he was chasing one in the dirt - not that I have ever done that - great freeze action. Curious what was the shutter speed ?
04-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To stick to a theme just a little, here is a gekko I caught a shot of recently. They certainly make interesting subjects. This one is a permanent resident in my back yard. Actually, he is only about 6 inches (150mm) long.

04-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

A few more from yesterday - see what I mean about color ? We need some green. Soon .....

click on image for larger view ...

The last of the ice on the river (almost cropped this one for the mini landscape contest)

A nice little Zen park in the River Valey

04-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
A few more from yesterday - see what I mean about color ? We need some green. Soon .....

The last of the ice on the river (almost cropped this one for the mini landscape contest)

But...but...that's all green....
04-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #36
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Great shots Gary, I like the Equisetum especially. We have that same species too!

The Leguminosae is definately a Vicia species, most probably related to or conspecific with V. sepium subsp. sepium. I guess it is introduced from "the Old World".... Look here.
Thanks for the info Rense.

BTW Gary: why do you plant dead trees???? Is it a weird Englishman-in-Canada tradition???
No Rense it's an Englishman in California being stupid tradition.

I thought it might have been a nice place for the birds to perch but I've yet to see one on there. You have to agree though, it's quite photogenic.

Dave, it's strange to see that Zen park, where's the bloody cherry blossoms? I like the pictures though, in a things in the wrong place kind of way.

Yes there is something about the gate, I can't put my finger on it either.

Bruce, that's a nice gecko shot, may I name him Gordon?

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-20-2009 at 05:02 PM.
04-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #37
Veteran Member

But...but...that's all green....
haah ok we need some Blue Water and Green Grass and trees and leaves - I stand corrected - Green water is just not a nice color (unless it is Caribbean green then we are good)

04-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Thanks for the info Rense.

No Rense it's an Englishman in California being stupid tradition.

I thought it might have been a nice place for the birds to perch but I've yet to see one on there. You have to agree though, it's quite photogenic.
Arggghhhh. I knew and know you're in California. When I close my eyes I see the fog rolin'in, so, I know where you are.... Well, this keeps me humble, I guess.... And please mr. Calif, accept my apologies....

Yes, the dead tree is photogenic in deed.
04-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, I will stop with this non-sense, and start posting some photos. That's what we're here for. Two from today, made in the frame of my Man at work project, but rejected, just because there were some better ones. But these two are decent enough to be posted here.

Last edited by Rense; 04-20-2009 at 01:59 PM.
04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Bruce thanks for hosting! Great fungi, kookaburra and roses!
Planerdriver, nice boats again! Also nice plains!
Jeremy, superb cityscape! (jezza323, it was Jeremy, right?)
Rense, great tree, pears do not grow here, flowers look a bit like in apple tree.
Dave, good B&W grave yard images! Also like the man sitting on bench!
Borno, I just love that second heron shot, nice pose and background!
Kevin, those killdeers are just superb shots!
Gary, Eddy looks so gorgeous in the spring, I think! Also I like the macro flower!
Ken, I enjoy the close-ups!
Bruce, nice that you got that gecko against the light background!
Dave, poor ice, LOL. That Zen park looks kinda exotic against those ordinary buildings
Rense, thanks for the real life stuff

Here are some random street shots, still cold out there

Last edited by gawan; 04-20-2009 at 02:15 PM.
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kevin - what a beautifull shots!
Gary - somehow, I feel already at home with Eddy. (BTW: I've got a collegue called Eddy, but he doesn't resemble yours...). Great shots!
Ken - these close-ups are nice, but I really like that base-ball picture
Bruce - wow, that one is sharp!
Dave - good to see winter is really disappearing now. Nice shots of that Zen park, but it looks strange with those buildings in the surrounding landscape...
Georg - thanks for the comments. Yours are pretty real too . And I like the row of chairs, it holds a promise....!
04-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #42
Damn Brit

Rense, I'm enjoying you're men at work series, these are two good examples, I like the conversions. Now I have a request, I'm sure workmen on construction sites are the same as those on English construction sites. When a beautiful girl walks by they all turn, lean on the scaffold bars and wolf whistle. I'd love to see a 'Men temporarily not at work' shot, can you look out for one for me.

Georg, the shot of the couple is very nice, did you by any chance speak to them and offer them a copy, I'm sure they would have appreciated it (unless they were both married to other people of course). The shot of the table and chairs is excellent (apart from the two shadows on the first table).

The sky was a magical colour after the sun went down tonight, look at the colour in the water over to the right;

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-20-2009 at 10:29 PM.
04-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gary, I will do my best . And what a great view on the bay again!
04-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the response from all. And thanks for the comments on my photos.

Gary : Gordon, sounds fine to me. I will be calling him that from here on as well..

Dave : more good shots, particularly weather wise. You must be enjoying seeing the Spring sunshine.

Rense : I like your men at work shots. Particularly like the B&W of both.

Geore :Two nice shots. Love the tables and chairs shot. Well composed. It must start to get a little warmer for you soon, surely.

Gary : what a beautiful sky. Really like that shot.

Keep them coming, it is turning into a very interesting week !
04-21-2009, 04:12 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Timbo, the 'more of my photos' link in your sig becomes highly irrelevant when your posts are like your last one.
well, what I really meant to say is that I hadn't yet put up the pictures took *yesterday*, there are of course all too many pictures at that link from the last year or so. But I suspect you knew that!

seacapt, like the macros, in particular #3, and baseball is OK with me!

Gary, I like the periwinkle. I will say that around here we don't plant dead trees as they often die on their own just fine.
And ANOTHER beautiful shot of the bay!!

Bruce, nice gecko

Dave, the river kind of looks like pea soup

Rense, I need to go check out your men at work topic again, I see.

Georg, your city looks like a pleasant place to be!

OK, as promised (or threatened ) here's some recent shots of mine: (click for larger)

my younger son, who has just learned to read, taking a short break to do just that while hiking:

same hike, other son

forsythia in bloom, lens test of an old Tokina 70-210 f4 wide open, little bit funky but I like it

let's see, that's kid, kid, flower... right, pet! here's my dog at full speed: