Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners - Weekly Challenge #95 "Crop a miniature landscape"
Posted By: Damn Brit, 04-22-2009, 01:05 AM

Thanks to everyone who entered they have been a pleasure to look at.

Now to my decisions, first, honorable mentions, as usual, no particular order.

Pardes, I appreciate the effort you went to, beautiful shot. BTW, is that a snail at bottom left?

Frank, nice and simple, well spotted.

Dave, I look forward to seeing the source of your crop.

seacapt, well captured I like the foggy look of the background.

In Third Place, legacyb4, I really like this one, I can imagine exploring that landscape. I'm afraid I can't copy your image over, so I'll include a link.
http://lumine.smugmug.com/gallery/7820609_sqTE4/1/512235490_BT4NV#512235490_BT4NV-A-LB

In Second Place M80, this one is epic, it really does look like the edge of an alien precipice. Considering where you took the crop from, I'm going to give you 10/10 for spotting it.

And the Winner is, kevindt, that really does look like a miniature mountainscape and the conversion adds an extra dimension. Congratulations and you are up for the next challenge.

This has been my first time judging and I can tell you, it really is a tough job, there is so much talent on this forum.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-23-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Views: 8,850
04-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
oooOOOooo Congrats all. What a great subject. I really like M8o's vision
04-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thansk for the HM Gary it was an ineresting challenge. I agree with the choices (other than I should have been first haha). Congrats to all and especially leagacyb4, M80, and the winner Kevin.

Maybe we can all post the originals in this thread ? Anyway I will and if you want it deleted let me know.

Here is my original. Taken from a cave in Aktun Chen, Mexcio

04-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the mention and congrats to all! Here is the source picture taken with a M-50 Macro on my ist. I found it amazing what this little old lens is capable of even on a lowly 6mp body .As usual for me there was no PP other than crop and a touch of sharpen on the resized version.
Hey Gary, Superimpose Eddie on some of these?

Last edited by seacapt; 07-26-2009 at 07:10 PM.
04-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats to winners and mentioned! It has been very interesting challenge!
04-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Big Congrats Kevin. That cable car line really completed it for me. My personal favs were that and gawan's.

Thank for the high place Gary. I've got that odd stuff -- what is it, a fungus? -- growing in spots on the top of my catwalk. I was taking shots on top of the framework under the lattice and they weren't doing it for me. I shifted my perspective 90 degrees and hoped that would give me the Raw material I was looking for. ...I'll have to convert and crop more of the trials (started last night) and make a thread on the Photos section perhaps this weekend.

Here's my original: (I'll move it to the challenge thread if you prefer Gary)

For perspective, that wood beam you see it growing on is under 2".
04-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great work all. Often the landscape that matters most is hidden in the miniscule around us.
04-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
-
This has been my first time judging and I can tell you, it really is a tough job, there is so much talent on this forum.
Thanks Britty! Good choices. It was a lot of fun spending the past week hunting something appropriate for this challenge. I especially like the idea that it is a "challenge" and not a "contest" since, as you say, there IS a lot of talent on this forum.

04-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good picks and great pics from everyone. I had a lot of fun "getting down" for this one.
04-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great choices! The alpine landscape of Kevin was my fav as soon as he posted it. Congrats to all the winners and honorable mentions!!
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. Thank you for the first place (my bet was on m80's).

The original is here, taken for the contest in the Upper Park and is the tops of the craggy basalt rock outcrops there. The B/W conversion makes the background look more like a distant cloudy sky instead of trees .

I'll start a new thread for the new challenge.
04-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #12

Great pics everyone, and congratulations to the winners and honorable mentions. It's fun when a challenge actually makes you think... "I wonder if this will work?". Nice job of judging Gary!
04-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pardes Quote
Thanks Britty! Good choices. It was a lot of fun spending the past week hunting something appropriate for this challenge. I especially like the idea that it is a "challenge" and not a "contest" since, as you say, there IS a lot of talent on this forum.
Please don't call me Britty, it sounds horrible.

The name's Gary (it's in my sig).
04-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Some very well done shots, and congratulations to winners and HM's. All very deserved.As you will see, very little cropping on my entry. Perhaps I should have looked a bit closer.
Anyway, no problem, mine wasn't up to the standard of the other entries

04-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #15
Damn Brit

You know what Bruce, as far as I'm concerned, everyone was a winner. That's the hard part about judging something like this, none of us may have met face to face but we're not exactly anonymous.
This is the best advice I can give to any future judges; Leave the people out of it and judge purely on the criteria.
It reduces the production of grey hairs.