Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52, Week 45-Panning: Winners
Posted By: virgilr, 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM

An honor to get to judge these amazing photos! Tough to choose the winners, but here's my best effort. Judging is based on the contest subject as the main criteria, but subject matter made for some real interesting choices to be made.

Thanks and congratulations to all for putting in the effort to go out and shoot this difficult type of image. Since there were only seven entries, I think I'll keep the judging to the top three images- everybody else, a hearty honorable mention!

Third place goes to Daacon.
I love the sense of the plane moving right into the frame, great lens selection on this shot to get that wonky perspective. Composition is great, love the angle of the plane, emphasizes the "attack" aspect of the the image that I love. A bit of a crop and some Photoshop work to get rid of the lines would have made this a real "what the heck, planes in the mall?" kind of shot!

Second place goes to jezza323.

Again, love the fact that the train is moving right into the frame from right to left. Absolutely love the subject- massive and imposing. Great lens choice for perspective, and the colors are vibrant and intense. Composition is good. The motion blur from the pan is a little too "guassian" to emphasize the panning/motion effect, but I know these shots are so spur of the moment and difficult to get your body where you need it for the maximum effect.

First place goes to Skyntara

It was tough to pick first, but in terms of composition and intensity of the panning effect and motion blur, this shot really stands out. Composition is great in terms of subject placement (rule of thirds), and I like the leading space in front of the bikes, giving a sense of speed and velocity. All of the blur elements are moving in the horizontal plane, and they frame the main subject very well. Exposure is a bit wonky, but that could easily be fixed in PP. A great panning shot, even if the subject matter is a bit "standard", but Skyntara really seems to have this technique down!

Views: 2,211
04-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice entries and thanks for thrid place, I thought about cloning out the wires - got lazy I guess. Congrats to jezza323 and Skyntara.
04-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats you three! Great shots, I will keep practicing to beat you one day
04-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners, this was something I could not pull at all!

04-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

thanks for the comments mate well done to all entries
04-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Some really nice work. Congrats to all.
04-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #7

Thank you everyone, especially virgilr for the judging.

Some great entries this week, but I admit I was practising in the week before this comp so I was primed.

Thanks for the critique virgilr. What would you like to see with regards to exposure? I've only been shooting since Christmas and using a lot of manual lenses so I've been working on getting the best shot straight out of the camera. I do have Photoshop and Lightroom but my PP is largely limited to more exposure/less exposure.

I had a little play around with the shot trying to brighten up the shadow areas (maybe I went a bit far) also posted a 100% crop to show that this picture really was the goods. The B&W one I posted earlier was actually a bit blurry full size, but this one was sharp at 10mp.

Danloc78, does this mean I'm judging "Time Pieces"?

100%

04-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skyntara Quote
Danloc78, does this mean I'm judging "Time Pieces"?
Yessir, you're up again!

I have to say...fantastic shot, and what a difference the post-processing makes. Maybe oversaturated just a tad, but lightening it up definitely livens it up and takes it to a new level. I think this one would also look even better by chopping off a bit from the top. If you don't mind...I'd like to copy this pic and put it on my computer desktop for a while. Would that be OK with you?
04-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Sorry I didn't get back earlier on the PP for the shot- have to agree with Dan, saturation is over the top, but the fill light helps tons. You can also use many different packages to mask just the darker of the riders and adjust the exposure a bit.

Great job!
04-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback guys

What size is your desktop Dan? I'll get you a nice sized one.

Judging Time pieces eh? Excellent.

I was at a relative's wedding on Sunday, at Old Government House in Parramatta and there was a very old grandfather clock inside the house. Unfortunately we'd been forbidden from taking any photos inside the house and the lady gave special attention to me since I had a camera hanging off each shoulder.

So I stood in the room with the clock for maybe 20 minutes just waiting for everyone else to bugger off, but I never quite got the time or the balls to get the shot.

I was really disappointed because I saw my entry in that clock and I knew I wouldn't find anything as good for the rest of the week.

But now it doesn't matter, so I feel much better about it