Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #96 "Opposing gravity" - Winners.
Posted By: kevindt, 04-29-2009, 05:56 PM

First of all, many thanks to all who participated in this weeks's challenge. We had nineteen entries with a range of subjects. Many of these included pictures of the entrant's children in various forms of activity. Choosing between pictures of precious offspring is a dangerous activity! I am an amateur photographer, and judging here relects my own biases and particular likes. You may have other opinions that are as valid or more so.

Ok, having got through the caveats, here are the choices and comments:

J.Scott: This really did bring out the flavor of the Highland Games, is nicely framed and certainly shows effort put in to fight gravity.

Rburgoss: That is a beautiful capture of a surfer in flight, sharp and framed nicely, lovely colors! From the hair angle, gravity is beginning to win.

Venturi: That little boy is delightful and is enjoying every second of opposing gravity!

Atupdate: Your picture captures your daughter beautifully in mid activity as she runs the wall.

Legacyb4: He is jumping and enjoying it, clearly. Nicely captured, sharp with good color.

Pontusadefjord: Nice picture from the K200D - and probably first ten of many!

Rickl: I had to look at this several times. Then I noticed the shovel (and then the foot off the ground). Nice!

Song_hm: Interesting action shot, she's really getting into that Wii.

Bramela: The only flying "machine" which surprised me. Pretty shot, nice colors.

Rense: Those two are having a lot of fun with the trampoline!

South Shore Rob: Really pretty action picture of the youngsters and soccer. Vivid colors, great capture of their enjoyment playing - a lovely picture of them.

Daacon: Gravity (and aim) got him into the hole, and he's surely working against it!

Stratman: That is a nice shot of the motorcyle rider inverted. I wish it was cropped harder or a longer lens, but it's a very nice capture of gravity being opposed.

Skyntara: I really like this action shot of the flying bicyclist: Sharp subject, colors nicely balanced, certainly fits the title.

Timbo: Another neat trampolining shot, and while the net doesn't help the shot, I'm sure glad it is there having looked after trampolining accident victims before now.

Mingdie: That is another great action shot. I have to believe you when you say how much energy and effort that keeper is putting in!

Arjay Bee: OK, that one is just gorgeous. The lighting, composition, expression on his face and the fit to the week's subject is near-perfect!

Tyfd911: Thanks for putting in an architectural opposition to gravity. I'd have loved a more detailed look at that wonderful building - but I appreciate your limitations in opportunity when taking photos on the way to work!

m8o: lovely shot of the 3/4 moon with great clarity and color

big-red: in late by my timing but no problem. Nice balance with bird and moon diagonally.

After a great deal of thinking, looking and looking again, my personal favorites and winners this week are:

In THIRD PLACE I ranked two pictures equally: J.Scott's Highland Games and Skyntara's cyclist

In SECOND PLACE I chose Rburgoss's beautiful flying surfer

And the WINNER this week, Arjay Bee's flying boy

Thanks again to all who entered, and keep up the great work for Arjay Bee's next challenge topic.
Views: 5,881
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Congratulations to everyone, especially to Arjay for winning.

I like to try and come up with the shot to match the challenge if I can rather than try and find an existing one, I had ideas this week but couldn't get the time.
I hope I find the time this week.
04-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for all the thoughtful comments Kevin - congrats to all , especially the top 3 and of course kudos to Arjay Bee stunning shot indeed.
04-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Challenge. Great job judging. Your tops are how I saw it too.

04-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #5

I totally agree with your choices!!! I knew Arjay had it from the moment I saw that picture! It's awesome, and congratulations!

Kevindt, thanks for the time taken to make all of the observations and comments. Nice challenge.
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Sorry, I forgot to say "Good job on the judging Kevin".
04-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Forum Member

congrats arjay bee ... great capture

04-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats to all and a big bravo to Kevin on the picks!
04-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #9

Damn fine shots this week. I'm lucky to have just jagged a place with all that competition.

Thanks to Kevin for judging.
04-30-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thank you Kevin for the gong. I liked the surfer shot cos it would have been technically very difficult to be in position to get it. Mine was a bit of an easy setup. Joseph is a keen photographer himself and had been at me all day to go and take pics of the sunset. I gave him an old cast off digicam that he was enjoying using. Once he had done the sunset he started launching himself off the trunk of driftwood in all sorts of poses. Some I took as silhouettes and some I used fill flash. There were about 8-10 shots in all before the sun went down - DL2, Raw processed with ACR and CS3.

I'll get a new comp up when I think of a new topic later tonight.
04-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats to all entries, the winners especially, great shot, Arjay!
04-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Hey, thanks a bunch!
Great choice on the first place picture.
Looking forward to the next challenge.
04-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

congratulations to the winners, and a fine job of judging, Kevin!
04-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Congrats to everyone who participated. Very nice subject and good judging. Thanks Kevin.
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

A great line-up of entries, and a very deserved winner (and placegetters). Well done all. Congratulations.