Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly challenge #97 - Feet: Winners
Posted By: Arjay Bee, 05-08-2009, 06:03 AM

As requested a good range of species and interpretations in the 16 images - well done all. I would guess you spent a lot of time looking down over the last few days.

Now to subject everyone to my biases, hope I haven't been too rough on anyone:-

Danloc78: Sunbather - While it could be called high key it seems a tad overexposed with a lack of detail in the in focus areas

gawan: Stair Climber - I like the colours and tonings but the feet seem too far out of frame so eyes are only looking at the top left corner

atupdate: Foot Power - focus timing and colours are all great and a good record shot of the move - while wider angle gives context could do with a crop to place emphasis on the foot at the board. I also like the foot under stress of the man holding the board(s)

ll_coffee_IP: Puddle Jump - an interesting shot - I had not seen it before. Stopped motion, and dimpled knees and colours all make an interesting image. To me the subject is the puddle - the stopped motion is just too powerful and pulls the eye away from the crocs.

Damn Brit: Cats Paws - a very delicate and loving portrayal, love the stretching pose, the framing and the contrasting texture of jute mat and soft fur - a tad overexposed on the top side white fur - great textures

Slowpez: Flamingo Feet - a very different point of view of flamingo- but still the size, the colour is preserved. Interesting texture and colour

Mike L: 7 Days Old - a beautiful baby and hands - have seen this shot before done by many people, cropped too closely at top edge

SpecialK: Pink Sandals - Limited pallet, subject isolation and contrasting pink make an interesting shot but distracted by the toes cut off and the too prominent writing up the middle of the image

daacon: Foot on Face - Good grab shot given circumstances described - cropping and isolation of the foot and mannequin head would make the shot more intriguing

Venturi: Toes - Excellent use of DoF to isolate the feet with the contrasting pink and green make the feet pop in 3D, textures are great too

Kevindt: Toes in Repose - a chilling representation of the long sleep to come. Love the wrinkles under the toes and the tag implies an interesting story. image itself is a trifle flat although well cropped

Schmikey: Footprints on the Beach - angle of view, the prints and the sharpness all carry a summery feeling - warm sand and cold beach - more of the feet in view and closer in would have made a stronger image for me - a shot just missed - and what no paw prints???

NaclH2O: Foot of Trunk - yes it has feet and texture but too much - no story here. B&W is interesting choice but not adding to the image

Ansbert: Sagada Walks of Life - here the B&W treatment adds to the anonymity of the people sauntering on the pavement. Lots of feet. The similarity of the walkers with heavy clothing and hands thrust in pockets and slouched body stance with no faces showing - great image. Movement blur and shallow DoF all add to the mood

tpeace: Gum shoe - all the hall marks of the era - colours, fashion styles - tells a story and raises reaction of familiarity to viewer. Contrasting glamour with yuk factor of the sticky gum - interesting string effect of the pulled material. subject is the gum rather than the foot however

AOski: Basrelief of boot - Limited colour range and the texture of the sandstone together with the limited DoF and point of view add to the interest of the shot. The image is testament to the skill of the sculptor

The stand outs for me are:

Hon Mention
ll_coffee_IP: technique

Third Place
Slowpez: point of view, colour and textures

Second Place
Ausbert: Mood, style

First Place
Venturi: Memorable attention grabbing

Over to you Venturi - I look forward to entering!

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 05-08-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Views: 1,993
05-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the comments - nice hob of juding. Can't argue with the winning shot , it was my favorite as well. Congrats to all.
05-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

congrats to all the winner and all the entries...

@Arjay Bee
Thanks for choosing my Photo

@Venturi
Well deserved winner, I like your shot!
05-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, I'm truly honored. There really were some incredibly good shots this week.

Awesome commentary and critique work done, Arjay! I'll do my best to carry on.

05-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

So many good shots, those that got honour/winning position are tryuly worth it! Congrats to you all! Thanks for the commenting, Arjay!
05-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congratulations to Venturi (Jim) - great picture and deserved 1st.
Nice judging Arjay.
05-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great job of judging Arjay. Congrats to Venturi on a job well done. That is a truly wonderful shot.
Susan

05-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks again to everyone for the compliments. It is one of my favorite photos but it really was merely one among many entered this past week.

I've posted the new challenge for this week Sacred Grounds. Looking forward to seeing the interpretations!
05-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For such an unusual topic, all entrants are to be congratulated, superb quality of entries.
I think that winner is well deserved. Well done!
05-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #10

Arjay - thanks for taking the time to critique all the photos - very helpful and congrats to Venturi - that really is a great capture! Looking forward to the next theme...

Mike
05-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Congratulations Jim well deserved and well done everyone who entered..
Good job with the judging Arjay.
05-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Some really lovely shots in there... especially the winners! Congratz!