Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Picture of the Week - 10/05/09 to 24/05/09
Posted By: daacon, 05-18-2009, 05:13 AM

Picture of the Week - 10-May-2009 to 24-May-2009 #62

Well coming off a record POTW thread it's time to let that go and start anew. You all don't have to wait you know. It's simple to start a new one and really once the tread is started that literally ends the mandatory obligation. Of course you can comment and post and are encouraged to, but we all know sometimes you get busy. Anyway here we go....

Rules as before:

1) No theme just your favorite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week.
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Date : Sunday 10/05/09 - Sunday 24/05/09 Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Previous hosts: 1 Peter Zack, 2 Eaglerapids, 3 rmtagg, 4 Peter Zack, 5 daacon, 6 Bramela, 7 mtnbearhug, 8 dantuyhoa, 9 gawan, 10 roentarre, 11 daacon, 12 Kris, 13 mtnbearhug, 14 SCGushue, 15 daacon, 16 maxwell1295, 17 dantuyhoa, 18 daacon, 19 maxwell1295, 20 Bamela, 21 Syb, 22 & 23 maxwell1295, 24 dantuyhoa, 25 Gawan, 26 Peter Zack, 27 borno, 28 daacon, 29 gawan, 30 Damn Brit, 31 & 32 maxwell1295 , 33 dantuyhoa, 34 daacon, 35 Peter Zack, 36 Damn Brit, 37 Borno, 38 Kevint, 39 Peter Zack, 40 Timbo13, 41 daacon, 42 daacon, 43 gawan, 44 dantuyhoa , 45 daacon, 46 rense, 47 daacon, 48 Rense, 49 borno, 50 Rense, 51 daacon, 52 Peter Zack, 53 Peter Zack, 54 dadipentak, 55 David Whiteley, 56 planedriver, 57 daacon,58 bramela, 59 daacon, 60 gawan, 61 virgilr, 62 daacon,

As usual here are couple to start us off ...

Spring days are here but there are still occasional days where the temperature drops to freezing and some snow falls instead of rain. It has been a really late spring here with most of the trees still leafless. I did notice a few dandelions on some of the grass yesterday so perhaps we are getting ready for an extended warm period. Although the long range forecast looks dismal this week.

Regardless at the local farmers market, the bedding and perennial plants were out, it was a relatively warm day and the crowd was thick, everyone waiting to plant their flowers in the yard.

click on image for larger view

And one from Costco Titled ..."When you haven't got time for the pain" ..

Views: 15,218
05-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #31
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same son different sport and the next day

Here is my son again, but today it was baseball. this series is called the strikeout. (missed my other son as I had to leave half way thru the game to go umpire another game) will give him equal time in the future.
Strike one
Strike two
Strike three, yes he missed it.

borno - great shot on the goofy landing
daacon - I am getting hungry just looking at the breakfast burger and chocolates
Legacyb4 - two wonderful shots. like the colors of the first and bokeh in second
planedriver - that last one with the clouds reflecting is great.
KrisK10D - oh no more food, hungry I am. great shot
smf - good shot now is it top heavy causing it to lean
Timbo13 - nice shots, like the car in the woods
Bramela - the shadows and colors are spectacular
AOski - nice shots, keep the flowers coming
Oldschool - looks like a fun time, great shots

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   
05-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
legacyb4 - ummmm it was great actually thanks for the comments. Very nice colors I prefer #1, although nice bokeh on #2. Rain in Vancouver - snow here today oh well suppose to be a nice weekend.

Andras - thanks for the comments indeed the DA 35LTD - a nice little lens. Is that a river or lake ? Interesting location.

KirsK10D - thanks for the comments. I am a little taller but he is working on that . Are those spring rolls ? Ummm I love spring rolls.

smf - nice macro like the framing.

Tim- thanks for the comments. I like the old car shot well done.

Bruce - nice shots, I like the shadows in #1 as well, #2 is good as well. Love brick buildings.

AOski - nice street shots. Really like #2.

oldschool - nice variety ! Love the pig head (went to a pig roast myslef last weekend) - nice candid as well.

Scott - thanks for the comments ya just beat me ! Nice action shots. #2 looks close to a strike and did he foul tip the last one ?
05-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #33
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

No foul tip. He swung late. the ball just passed above the bat. Not bad for a young man from Ethiopia playing baseball for only two years. His eyes are open and he is actually hitting the ball. Popped out his next time up. I am still trying to get that magic moment when the bat hits the ball. got to keep on trying.
05-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahh I should have read the description doooooooooh. Try burst mode if you have not before

05-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few more from the Framers Market. A place where there is not only good food, drink and host of other 'stuff' there is always entertainment.

..For the kids .....

For the kids at heart (I love the Banjo it is such a happy instrument)

Tough lighting conditions with the window behind these guys ... and battling the crowd was fun as well
05-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

A bit of catchup-

eccs- Those elusive hummers! Ah well, I like your fun shot, and really like the glasses on the table at the wedding. Wedding photogs do have it rough- no wonder they use flash so much.

Rickl- Dig your tower shots. Always good to have a recurring subject to return to, isn't it?

planedriver- Lovely boat shots! Love the single yellow boat, and your second series, the colors just pop and are outstanding! Do you work the shots over much in PP?

borno- You're heron shots are alot of fun! Dig that crazy landing!

Scott- Nothing like having a son in sports to test your skills, huh? Fun series, both the soccer and the baseball shots.

Dave- Well, markets and goings on galore for you, huh? I like it when my wife says "let's go to this or that event" and in the back of my mind I'm thinking "cool- photo ops!". Then she always says "you're bringing the camera, right?"

legacy- Great red-green tree shots: intense color, makes me feel soothed and happy. BC rocks for lush vegetation!

timo- Really like your old car shot- I'm into rusting, breaking down things. Shiny new stuff is boring..

Bruce- Super cool architecture shots! I know how it is with perspective and architecture- I like to shoot wider than normal then do perspective correction in Photoshop when the shot deserves it.

Aoski- That's a groovy series. I'm into capturing mood and atmosphere in the city, also. The "blues" signboard is awesome- very well framed and edited, B&W serves the shot well. Fantastic work from that "looking up" perspective.

Oldschool- thanks for sharing your local experiences! That band looks so jammed on that tiny stage- wow, now that takes me back, I gigged when I was younger, little tiny stages in cramped crappy bars!

Here's a quick portrait of my wife- light was pouring in and reflecting in our living room, was a great time for this shot. The tammy 90mm even wide open can be a bit harsh for portraits with it's sharpness, but a bit of the "soften skin" settings in LR with the brush tool and a nice dreamy portrait comes out.

05-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
planedriver- Lovely boat shots! Love the single yellow boat, and your second series, the colors just pop and are outstanding! Do you work the shots over much in PP?
No PP at all.
90% of these shots are taken with the DA16-45 and a Hoya PRO-1 Digital Cir-Polarizer. The settings I use in my K200D are the following:
Color Space: adobe RGB
image tone: vibrant
saturation:+1
sharpness+2
contrast+1

Andras
Flickr: sopiandri's Photostream

05-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Andras - thanks for the comments indeed the DA 35LTD - a nice little lens. Is that a river or lake ? Interesting location.
Dave first of all that DA35Ltd starts to interest me...aaahh
That's a big lake where I do the boat-shots. I live in a village on it's North-Eastern side. There are several ports around it-the one on the previous picture is my favourite place.
I went up to the nearby hill this afternoon with my son to take some pictures of it.

Here's our village on the left side:

turning right to South-West is a more untouched part with huge areas covered with reed and extraordinary wildlife-that's the area where my favourite port lies:

but more importantly to the North there is this nice little hill with my father-in-law's grapeyard below it:

for the last two shots I took out the DA 50-200-what a good lens...

Cheers Andras
Flickr: sopiandri's Photostream

Last edited by planedriver; 05-20-2009 at 09:56 AM.
05-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Andras , they are really beautiful and interesting shots. The 50-200, I believe, is a most under rated lens. I sold mine a while ago and have regretted it ever since. I may just pick up another for an everyday walk about lens
05-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Virglir - thanks for the comments. Haha My wife use to roll her eyes but now it's just a known. Lovely shot of your wife - her eyes are smiling.

Andras - wow I had no idea - what a great village. That lake does indeed look huge. Great shot of the area thanks for taking the walk and sharing. The DA 35 ltd was going to be my small lens to be a little less conspicuous I would like wider might give that DA 15 a go but then again I have the DA 12-24. Certainly no cpmpliants with 35 though - sharp lens and beautiful colors.

Last edited by daacon; 05-20-2009 at 03:53 PM.
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a streetcar that operates on weekends and holidays and no it's name is not desire .

05-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #42

Another great week is underway I see. Great shots, as always, everyone!

Andras... just Wow! What a beautiful place you live in. Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

Virgil, lovely pic of the wife! She looks happy, which is always a wonderful thing.

Scott, I have really enjoyed all of your sports series. You have a good eye for capturing the moment.

Dave, thanks again for hosting, and for sharing your many pics as well. Really enjoyed the market pics. Great colors.

Kris.... just yum! Made me really hungry just looking at those!

Oldschool. Great capture of the coffee shop owner! Very nice.

Borno, loved the heron shots, especially the 2nd one.

And here are a couple from one of my favorite things, along with photography... The only PP was resizing and cropping. The colors here at this time of year are awesome and don't need any help.

05-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My son's first soccer game of the year. My first attempt at sports type shots. Thank goodness for digital, I blasted off about 100 shots. Lot more nice ones that I expected.

05-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #44
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Just to show I do take pictures other than sports here are a few others. my son is in the blue shirt, I posted a picture of him singing in concert, no sports, yet. my littlest who is a blur of motion. and a photo I submited to PPG.

daacon -- looks like a fun farmers market, quite the set of characters, the streetcar has an interesting mural behind it in the first shot.
virgilr-- nice portrait
planedriver-- what a beautiful country you live in.
RickL -- Now there is a shot to be teed off at. great colors.
eccs19 -- Great shots. and you only took 100!! try for 200 next time
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   
05-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Dave - that's a older classic style Melbourne (Australian) Tram/Streetcar???? What's it doing in your neck of the woods?