Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52, Week 48 - Pick your own theme: Winners.
Posted By: kevindt, 05-19-2009, 09:50 PM

I believe, from following the last few weeks challenges and winners selection, that it falls on me to judge this, having won last time.

There were only six entries. Daacon, Bramela and smf submitted their themes in one post each, then followed with a picture representing that theme, per Dan's original suggestion. Dan did allow for using someone else's theme, and the other three single posts (by xjjohnno, Skyntara and Rockmaster) were all based on smf's original theme of "Flower Power.

Bramela (Bruce) is in the throes of Southern Hemisphere Fall/Autumn, and he chose "Colours of Nature" with Fall leaves that certainly fit the theme with beautiful colors and nice bokeh. I rated this #1 both purely subjectively on its merits as a picture, and for fulfilling the original suggestion from Dan completely.

Daacon (Dave) choose "Clouds and Sky", and his picture shows nice tonal range and color. I rated this #2. I like it a lot, and Dave also posted theme first, picture second.

smf has a rather nice macro of a tulip highlighted against an essentialy black background. I'd have liked it more sharper, and/or with some other background, but I loved its simplicity . I gave it #3.

xjjohnno has an interesting macro tightly detailing the stamens and anthers of the bottlebrush plant with a very narrow DOF. I love this plant (and submitted pictures of the one in my yard in POTW a few weeks ago). I wish there was more use of the glorious color of this plant, which is why I rated it below the first 3.

Skyntara's little pale blue flowers are interesting, nicely defined, and the fingers added color and a different viewpoint.

Rockmaster posted a picture of a yellow lily that is pretty. Lighting is harsh - bright sunlight is a very difficult lighting for these flowers, as I've also found trying to picture those in my back yard this week! I ended up with a makeshift diffuser and a little fill-in before I got what I kind of liked...

Well, that's my take on these, with no formal training and based on what I like!
Well done, all.
Views: 2,743
05-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Kevin, I am most appreciative. There were some really good shots/subjects and each entrant is to be congratulated.
05-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #3

Thanks Kevin

Looks like Bramela is up for next week.

I'm wondering if a Novocastrian will really be that impressed with a nice shot of Sydney?
05-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to all of the winners. Thanks Kevin for judging this week.

05-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice job judging Kevin and congrtas to all the entered and of course to Bruce good shot.
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Skyntara, why not? I reckon there would be some spectacular cityscapes shot around Sydney.
I have been thinking of a day trip down there again with the camera. Haven't been for a long time.

And thanks, Dave, yours was a good shot as well. I liked it. Well done!
05-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
smf
Pentaxian

Thanks very much, Kevin; thanks to all who posted, and congratulations to all whose photos were selected.
smf
(Stu in Michigan)

05-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Skyntara, why not? I reckon there would be some spectacular cityscapes shot around Sydney.
I have been thinking of a day trip down there again with the camera. Haven't been for a long time.

And thanks, Dave, yours was a good shot as well. I liked it. Well done!
I spent my formative years in Newcastle, most of my family still live there. I know I wouldn't be impressed with the cliché habour bridge/opera house shots.

As it happened I did find a good spot where I got some great pics of the bridge, but I went with something else for my entry.